1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc Humiliating Loss of Spark--'08 CR125

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by dfeckel, Jul 27, 2009.

1. dfeckel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks for the coil readings. My primary was at 0.4-0.5 Ohms, and the secondary was 10k Ohms, so it looks like the coil is fine.

I checked AC Volts coming out of the stator and got 2.5 volts with a swift kick and the plug out. The lighting leads out of the stator gave me close to 4 volts AC. I suppose I was expecting 12 volts, but that may just be my battery bias. What voltage should I get from a good kick?

I also checked the pulse pickup thingee, and I was getting just a tiny voltage with each kick. Maybe 0.1 volts AC
  2. Troy F Collins Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    GGEC 250 Honda RC51 CBR 1000rr CR125

Hmm....my OEM CR stator pumps out an easy AC 12V with a swift kick...check all the wires one by one for short to ground....

also the paired wires blk/red and red/wht...have no continuity to the other pair(trigger) of wires...grn and red...check that too

switch your meter over to m/v to check the impulse trigger...( I sound like scotty on star trek:busted:)....

did you get the proper continuity readings from the stator and trigger..?? yours wont be the same as mine..cause you beefed yours up.....

I had a suspicion that with increased juice you may have popped the B box.....but it looks like the stator is the culprit:thinking:

and no short to grnd on the kill wire right..??(Blk/yel to gound)
  3. dfeckel Husqvarna
    AA Class

I'm at work right now, I'll have to check resistance/continuity on the trigger and stator when I get home.

I've ruled out the kill switch--I've disconnected it and still no spark.

Troy, thanks for all your input. I really appreciate it.
  4. dfeckel Husqvarna
    AA Class

I zipped home and took a couple more readings.

Moose stator 7 Ohms
    Moose lighting leads 1.5 Ohms
    Trigger 82 Ohms

Stock Stator 27 Ohms
    Stock trigger 82 Ohms

Seems a pretty big discrepancy between the Moose stator and the stocker. I think I'll put the stocker back in and see what happens.
  5. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

My fingers are crossed for you and I think she will fire to life.
  6. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Mike at ricky stator can rewind the stock one and get about 35 watts cost about 100 dallars www.rickystator.com
  7. dfeckel Husqvarna
    AA Class

If the stocker works, then rickystator is my next stop. :)
  8. dfeckel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Rickystator, here I come!

I went home for a long lunch today and put the stocker back on. Bench test: Hot, blue spark. Driveway test: running first kick.

Verdict: Bad stator (or, more likely, angry motorcycle gods due to the matter/antimatter mixture that was my Husky/ KTM hybrid.:))

So, I'll be sending the stocker out for a lighting coil winding job, and then I'll be back to lighting up the trail. I might send the KTM stator to rickystator, too, to find out what went wrong.
  9. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Thanks cool I am glad you got it figured out; now uncrossing my fingers.
  10. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Kinda figured that was the issue, glad you got it figured out.

K
  11. dfeckel Husqvarna
    AA Class

My first mistake was putting a KTM part on the bike--KTM parts BREAK!!!
  12. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    Pffft! I KNEW it! Pumpkin Patch Parts! I'm surprised the Italian God of Motorcycle Purity didn't swoop down from the heavens and take you out for such blasphemy! :D
  13. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    In reality both stators come from Kokasan (spelling?) and are Japanese so nether is a European part.
  14. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    Doesn't matter, the evil spirits were injected into the part when it arrived at the Pumpkin Patch! ;)
  15. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

You guys crack me up LOL!
  16. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    Fran Bottone said in 20+ years he's only had one Kokusan stator fail on a KTM, never had a Husky one fail and never had a Moose one fail on a CR125.
  17. skid Husqvarna
    A Class

thats the problem right there ... gotta swear at it in japanese!
    Not Italian or Austrian
  18. dfeckel Husqvarna
    AA Class

The Moose stator box says one year warranty, I just might try to return it for a new one. Of course, they're going to see this thing with all the original connectors removed and spliced/soldered wires on it and cry foul, most likely. I wasn't exactly using it as intended, after all. I still think the swap is a really elegant way to get lights on a CR. I just wish it had worked better for me.

Now that I think back on it a little, the bike was kind of hard to start as soon as I put the Moose stator in, so I wonder if it ever put out the kind of juice the ignition needed. It may have come to me faulty.

Hey, Norman! I'm looking forward to meeting you at the Speedsville Enduro in two weeks--I'm getting there late Saturday night. I'll look for you on Sunday!
  19. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    I'm looking foward to meeting you at Speedsville. I'll be there with my white Sprinter, with my name on the sides. The run is going to be a good one!:cheers:
  20. Troy F Collins Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    GGEC 250 Honda RC51 CBR 1000rr CR125
    The stators are built up with solid core copper wire that has a plastic varnish applied to it..these are then wrapped around the poles of the stator...

the varnish keeps the wires from actually making contact with eachother....the more wraps the more resistance (and output)

if the stock stator is 25 ohms..then an uprated one will have a higher resistance( more wire length= more res.).... for the moose one I would hate to hazard to guess...but it could be three times that...??

less resistance indicated a shorted stator....either there was physical damage...poor manufacturing ..or at some point there was a short to ground somewhere else that melted the varnish off some of the internal windings and allowed for unintentional contact in the stator winding....eliminating or shorting of some of the wraps....giving lower resistance..that explains your 7 ohm measurement

if there is no obvious physical damage...then give it a sniff....a burnt smell gives a clue