How to lock engine at TDC for leak down?

Discussion in '610/630' started by Mucci, May 31, 2017.

1. Mucci Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '01 TE570, '13 TE310R, '19 701 Svart
    Other Motorcycles:
    HM 1100 Evo SP, Zero FX, R65, R80
    Trying to lock my 570 at TDC for a leak down test and I can't get it to stay there. It won't even hold 10PSI.

- Can't put a wrench on the crank bolt because it's reverse thread.
    - Tried putting the bike in 5th, rotating the engine to TDC with the rear wheel and standing on the brake but it still gives. I'm guessing its the clutch that slips because the tire is locked. Clutch is brand new though and has great bite on the road.

Any other tricks?
  2. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    If you get it on true TDC it won't move.
    ct cr430 likes this.
  3. Mucci Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    It does. I've tried for 2 hours setting it at TDC and it moves every time. Tried very small increments before and after TDC as well. As soon as air is introduced it builds up and rotates the motor.
  4. kirbybikes Husqvarna
    AA Class

I tried over the winter to do a leak down also. I had the exact same problems of rotating off TDC. Eventually gave up and just did a compression test instead and everything pressure wise was fine. Good luck, post up if you figure out a successful way of locking it so it doesn't rotate.
    Mucci likes this.
  5. Mucci Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    It's like trying to balance a bowling ball on the tip of a pencil ...and then blowing 100psi at it.
  6. Mucci Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Just spoke to a tech at Hall's Cycles and he said to put the piston at the bottom of the compression stroke then back off the valve /tappet adjusters so they stay closed. Run the rest and reset the valve clearances when you're done.

Haven't tried it yet but sounds ingenious to me :) ...to the garage!
  7. Rotax_655 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    ex TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia Pegaso 650 GA
    Test with 1 gear and not with 5 gear.
    In this way should not slip the clutch
  8. ct cr430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 cr 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 honda crf450
    Ok , how about this idea . Clutch cover off , figure out rotation of primary and clutch gears and slip a small piece of soft metal in between the 2 gears to stop rotation . Wouldn't this take both the clutch and rear brake out of the picture ? I don't know if your bike has this but on my Honda 450 , the crank is offset from the cylinder bore , because of that the piston could be at tdc and the crank still be slightly rotated .
    lankydoug likes this.
  9. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    The timing mark might not be exactly TDC. True TDC is found by measuring or using a piston stop to mark a spot before and after TDC and then marking it in the middle of the marks. A degree wheel on the crankshaft with an adjustable pointer is the best way. Depending on rod length and stroke the piston can dwell at the top of the stroke for 7-14 degrees.

Another trick is to use a gear jammer in the primary or balance shaft (if it has one) to lock it up close to TDC so it wont rotate. If you don't have one a penny works good because is is soft and won't damage the gears.