1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

How To Identify 1982.5 Cr 500 Silver Streak?

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by BlackZ, Jul 12, 2021.

1. BlackZ Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR Silver Streak 500cc 1982.5
    Hi! I'm new to this forum. I live in Finland and I have possibility to buy technically good Husqvarna CR 500 Silver Streak 1982.5 :love:

It's not a show bike, it's been used on classic competitions. So it's technically good, but looks worn. They say that it is genuine Silver Streak. This is what I know about this bike:

- It's raced till these years occasionally and well kept technically
    - I know it's original owner from Finland, but he had that bike only for one year during 80s, so he can't anymore tell how original it is still and he doesn't remember engine or frame codes that was in that bike. He swapped it to new 250cc after one year with Silver Streak :D
    - Current owner bought bike at 90s, so there have been X amount of owner(s) between current and original owner.
    - Frame is swapped during 90s, it numbered as CN-16590. What I understand, this is same frame that is used in 125-430 Huskys.
    - Current tank is red, but that silver one comes with it. They took original tank off because of racing to "save" it for damages, but there are still some damages so it's not "mint".

Now questions:
    - Original frame comes with it, but there are 3 frames that comes with it and current owner doesn't remember which of those frames was original. These 2 that comes with it are at least CR 500 frames: CN-19442 and CN-19374, right? But is other one Silver Streak frame, how can I know it?
    - One of those frames is odd, I don't know what this could be: CN-08149, I'm not sure about that "0" on that number, because it is fainted, but looks like it could be 0.
    - How can I identify that is engine anymore "monster power" 500cc Silver Streak? Or just basic CR 500cc? On engine, there are codes 2094, this should mean 500cc engine and after that 3 digits that are 315.
    - What were the differences between basic CR 500cc and CR Silver Streak 500cc engines? I've read that maybe 44mm Mikuni should be on Silver Streak, is this correct and is it smaller carb on basic CR 500? But carb doesn't tell much, it can be swapped even to basic 500cc. Is there other differences that can be identified? Was the cylinder different or same than basic 500cc? How did they make it more powerful, and how I know, that it is still Silver Streak engine? After many years of racing, that original motor could be destroyed even before current owner that had this on 90s.

I would appreciate your help very much, I needed to register here to get help, because with Google I just can't find pretty much any identification methods for Silver Streak. They say that many Husqvarna enthusiasts have identified it as an Silver Streak and seller is trustworthy what I know, but if many have identified it as an Silver Streak bike and engine, how they can do it?

Best Regards,
    Jari
    Finland
  2. twsniklas Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Both 2&4 strokes
    Other Motorcycles:
    Husaberg
    Hello

The VIN number (frame) starts with CN19200 and up to CN19790 and engine 2094 xxxx for 82.5 500 CR. The diffrence on a engine 1982 vs 1983 is 1982 has 44mm mikuni and 1983 40mm mikuni and 1983 a diffrent porting on cylinder and complete new exhaust because 1983 got a new frame.

CN01000-CN10999 is a 1981 CR frame
    BlackZ likes this.
  3. BlackZ Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:

So what do you think, is this genuine Silver Streak what I'm talking about?

And is those both frames that comes with it, Silver Streak frames? Because if you say that "The VIN number (frame) starts with CN19200 and up to CN19790" and those frames that comes with it are CN-19442 and CN-19374 so are those both Silver Streak frames because numbers will match in between? Or is that Silver Streak frame even possible to identify from 1982 basic CR 500 frame?

And also, how it is possible that Silver Streak frames should be between CN19200-CN19790, it's 590pcs, when Silver Streaks were only done 530pcs what I know?

And that engine, you say "engine 2094 xxxx for 82.5 500 CR" and that one has that 2094, but only 3 digits after that, so there reads only 315. So is this Silver Streak engine? Could it be, that Silver Streak engines had 3 digits after 2094 and basic 1982 CR 500cc engine had 4 digits? Or is it other way around?

And thank you already for this help :cheers:
  4. ruwfo Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 390CR, 1982 430CR, 1984 400WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 250XC, 2016 FJ-09
    What were the differences between basic CR 500cc and CR Silver Streak 500cc engines?

1st off the 1982 is the 1st 500cc model year, produced, introduced mid year, aka making it a 82-1/2.

So there is NO Silver streak engine vs Basic, the models produced in 83-84 (air cooled) where based
    off the original 1982 motor, but with differences/improvements. As already mentioned, Husky
    dumped the 44mm carb, for a 40mm in 83 & 84, & the 4spd tranny was dropped too, porting etc.

The 82 was a pain to start with the 44mm, so combined with the smaller carb & ignition/ timing
    changes made it a little less of a leg breaker.

Be careful, as any original one can bring a premium price, sometimes double a 430CR
    of the same condition, & you can be buying a made up Silver streak.
  5. BlackZ Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Thank you very much! Actually I was just seeking information about that "1982 basic CR 500" what I have been talking about, and noticed pretty soon that there are no such thing at all :D I just assumed that there was also 1982 CR 500 because Silver Streak is called 1982.5. So story is, when HVA made bigger bike after CR 430 it was directly CR 500 Silver Streak, not basic 500 between those, right? In a American car world that is much more familiar to me than these 2 wheelers, usually if there is talk about mid year model, there was also year beginning model. But this is not the same case with this, now I understand and this helps me a lot.

And I googled several Silver Streaks and found out several frame codes for those Silver Streaks, and those both frames that comes with this Silver Streak I have possibility to buy are Silver Streak frames(?), because frame codes are CN-19442 and CN-19374 and I found Silver Streaks that had bigger and smaller codes on frames, so because those belongs between those codes I found, I assume BOTH those separate frames are Silver Streak frames? Of course this is also odd, I know that those should not have been imported to Finland many pieces, how it is possible that here is even 2 frames that comes with same bike :eek:

So, if all above I wrote now is correct, I can be 100% sure that those frames are genuine Silver Streak frames, CHECK. Tank seems to be original, CHECK. Now is anymore engine identification. If this engine has 4 speed and 44mm Mikuni, it should be Silver Streak at least from those parts? Of course last question is, is cylinder that is in the engine, still ported 500cc Silver Streak cylinder, or basic newer 500cc cylinder from 83/84? I assume that it should be ported, because you ruwfo said that they dropped porting, I just assume you mean cylinder porting?

Is this all now correct?

And yes, I would like to be careful, because price is pretty much the same here now of worn bike than restored 390 or 430. I didn't search Silver Streak at all, I didn't know even that it existed, actually I just wanted old school air cooled 450-500cc Husqvarna or Maico because I love the look of those bikes and I want my bike to be scary :D My earlier bikes were HVA CR 250 1979 and CR 390 1978. This just found out after searching and after I saw it my interest woke up, I also love rare machines. And if I'll buy this now, I will continue using it, it won't be only show piece to me. Just light restoration to give a bit better looks. But I don't compete or race, just for own fun so it's much much lighter usage than racing where this is used earlier.
  6. ruwfo Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 390CR, 1982 430CR, 1984 400WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 250XC, 2016 FJ-09
    First off, what condition is the bike in, ridable ? that’s a HUGE deciding factor :eek:

The Silver Streak was developed as a replacement for the 430CR, and had The 4spd transmission & 44mm carburetor. I believe the 83 500CR, also used the 4 spd, but I know they downsized the carb to a 40mm one & never used the 44 again.

The later 500’s had a special throttle cable , carb slide, intake & air filter boots that’s are different from the 38mm they used on all there other bikes, so there not easy to find & are expensive :mad: . So what I’m trying to say is, how easy is it going be to find 44MM carb /intake parts, if it doesn’t run or that well. That also goes for 4spd Transmission parts, I’ve seen people asking thousands of dollars for a complete one :banghead: , because it was used on a model that was sold for a 1-1/2 years (84 500CR used a 6spd), rare usually adds many $ to a repair.

I didn’t mean the porting was dropped on the 84-83 500’s, I just would say that it’s probably different then the 82-1/2.

As I said before, the 82-1/2 was extremely hard to start, I’d bet only because of the 44mm carb, being too much for it. so how easy does this one start? If you just want to sit & look at it, then who cares.

The Silver Streak is it’s own unique bike, a true rare bred model, but it could be money pit, and maybe
    Something you can’t even start/ride easily.

Every body talks about how the 81 Maico 490 dual shock is the Ultimate MX bike, & probably the biggest reason why Husky made the 500. But have you talked with anyone who owns one? I have & have ridden them too, and you can rarely get them to start (without A big hill to jump them). My friend has one & $10K into , and it only starts

when it wants , which is only on steep paved driveway.

There both really cool, “the ultimate models” but unless you find some who really knows what there doing with tuning, there just be a awesome bike in your garage to look at.
  7. BlackZ Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:

Like I said earlier, it's raced (classic competitions) occasionally to these days, so driven already for 40 years almost. It looks worn and some scratches and dings, but technically they have kept it in good condition was message to me, like a message "you can't race with bad bike". Owner who has this, has been working and racing with motorcycles already decades.

They said that it is fairly easy to start: 4-5 loose kicks, then find the "sweet spot" and only few (usually 3-4) real kicks and it starts.

Yes, that I've already understood that these were hard to start even then when these were new, and many people swapped bike to something else because of this. I doubt that big carb is only reason, it shouldn't make that big difference for starting the bike if carb is big, because there is no much throttle during the start-up. So impact should be minor.

I don't know is this 2-stroke high horsepower big gun starting challenges with all marks and models? At least I know a guy who has a Maico 490 Sand Spider 1983, this is other bike what I have been neagotiating to buy. Sand Spider owner said that he had driven it only once, because it is so difficult to get started even bike should be in mint condition.

I will never accept situation that some machine is just an show piece in a garage. I have several builded American cars with all kinds of special things on engine etc., and all of those are driven frequently. So everything should start and be ready for driving. It doesn't matter if it's hard, usually everything a bit more special isn't the easiest choice, you just understand that yourself.