How TE250 converted to SM will perform?

Discussion in 'Super Moto' started by Alberto, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Alberto Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE250
    Hey Guys

If I put SM wheels on a TE250 and use it on the street, how many hours or Miles will the engine last before it requires overhaul? is it safe for the bike to use it that way?
  2. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    Short answer? No The manual warns about it in the first section but some have done it with careful maintenance schedules and high gearing. The gearbox is ultra close and built for racing off road. It will work but be aware.
    Alberto likes this.
  3. huskylove Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 cr125 in progress
    In my exp. if you go this route, you will need to gear it relatively low so that it has good pickup, a 250 does not have much power to pull high speed geared up. So say you run 14/48 with dirt wheels, and you swap to 17's you will probably need to run 15/44 and you may not have good compromise between acceleration and cruise rpm's.

Tons of people do it, it will be fun and you will carry a ton of corner speed and being able to rip it mid corner without it sliding out would be fun. But the high rpm's will be hard on the bottom end in the long run.
    Alberto likes this.
  4. Alberto Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE250
    so the gearbox will suffer? will the bike need engine replacement soon lets say 100hrs?
  5. Alberto Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE250
    how many miles/hours do you think the engine will support before it needs to open it overhaul it? saying I will not revv it and will have good maintenance?
    bud7041 likes this.
  6. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Many argue whether or not you can super moto a 250/310. It's not designed for sustained high rpm at all. I rebuild engines, so I say go for it. Not sure on how it will begin or perform, but I know how it will end. Smoke and fire, lots of fire.
    Evans449, Alberto and reveille like this.
  7. huskylove Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 cr125 in progress
    With the 250/310 I am not sure. I will be very happt with my te 511 if it lives to see 10k miles without being opened.
    Alberto likes this.
  8. Alberto Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE250
    LOL! but if I use it with care, say to keep it under 6k rpm and not long periods, will this bike last for at least 10 000 miles?
    510 SM SC and Tinken like this.
  9. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    Keeping it under 6,000 is impossible. The bike revs out like a 2T and lives over 8,000
  10. Alberto Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE250
    I am always under 6.5k.. believe it or not haha.. sounds like pussy but I have not need yet to revv it more than 7k..
  11. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    What gearing are you running? Most of us have 13/50 to make the bike usable off road. If you still have the stock gearing of 13/40 I could believe that you aren't revving high but that gearing isn't ideal. IMO
  12. Alberto Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE250
    I use both.. depending on what Im planning to do.. for off road/enduro 13/50, for DS 13/40
  13. Alberto Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE250
    what do you think about 14/45 too tall?
  14. 510 SM SC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Nope, to short for the Hi-way, Great for all around -55mph
    My bike was shipped with a 40 (installed) and a 50 and 2 chains. The 40 sucked.... put the 50 on and did some miles in the dirt to break it in. Then I swaped the wheels(17s) from my 07 510smr with a stock 42 and liked it. If your bike is all powered up ??? go with the 42 if not, 45-47 for surface roads -55
  15. Alberto Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE250
    great advice.. my bike is powered up.. and it came with 40 and 50 rear sprockets and two chains as well..
  16. 510 SM SC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks. I try to keep my wheel base as short as possible, so I can flick it around. So I have (3 ) chains and gearing,,,,