1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

How I will build my own oil cooler for my TE511

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Rearwheelin, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Rearwheelin Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 XCW 300
    So there is the hand crafted machined oil filter cover that nobody can buy that you need in order to connect a oil cooler. If you haven't seen that mod then a brief search of the forum should turn it up..

I started thinking after looking at the 449/511 clutch cover and thought , " I really need to take that off and have a look at how the oil flows inside :thinking: ". My first hope was that crap loads of oil goes into the cover. :notworthy: So I left all 1300cc of oil in the engine and started unbolting :D With the clutch cover off now I wanted to see what kind of oil flow rate goes into the clutch with the bike straight up and down. Stood the bike up and the oil poored out faster than you can empty a quart of oil... Cool this is what I wanted, direct access to the oil bath. Why the clutch cover ? Because the oil that is swirly around in there will force its way out of a hole with pressure behind it when I drill a hole and weld a hose bung to it :banana:

I plan to weld some aluminum tubing to my skid plate and plumb my oil line coming from the clutch cover to it.. The skid plate is perfect for absorbing heat out of the oil and so is what I will use it for :thumbsup:

This pic is just a general "Get the picture?"pic...
    [IMG]

[IMG]
  2. Rearwheelin Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 XCW 300
    You seen it here first :cheers: Centrifugal force !
  3. James Patton Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511 2012, WR125 2006
    Other Motorcycles:
    1250S Bandit, DRZ400S
    Sounds like he's off again. Will enough oil still be directed to the clutch plates?
    ascribner likes this.
  4. Rearwheelin Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 XCW 300
    Yes, it poors in there and the clutch claps it around. The oil will re-enter threw the cap and poor back into the main oil pool that the oil pump pulls from. It won't starve the clutch of oil.
  5. James Patton Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511 2012, WR125 2006
    Other Motorcycles:
    1250S Bandit, DRZ400S
    That is good! If this oil cooler is workable, that should give the added volume of oil you all seem
    To want, and keep it cooler.
  6. Rearwheelin Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 XCW 300
    I just need to figure the best way to prep the cover for my welder and the series of oil tubes I'm going to weld on the inside of the skid plate. The oil volume should bump from 1150 to 1200cc or so. Plus the extra 100cc for doing the breather mods so around 1300cc total. Depending on the head pressure the clutch cover produces I might run one of my cans inline to bump oil volume another 150cc
  7. Radar Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE449
    I would think that the skid plates main job (kissing rocks) would disqualify it as an oil cooler. Unless you want oily rocks.
    McKay, ascribner, 4eyes and 1 other person like this.
  8. Rearwheelin Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 XCW 300
    That's what you think. The lines will be way better protected than a conventional oil cooler. My skid plate has seen some really harsh treatment and the aluminum tubing will be thick and welded to key areas .
  9. Rearwheelin Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 XCW 300
    :)
  10. K.Forte' Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 WR 125R
    Other Motorcycles:
    2004 Honda CRF 302X
    Don't do it,,put it behind the radiator..Just a thought. :naughty:
    Rearwheelin likes this.
  11. Rearwheelin Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 XCW 300
    I have a cooling fan on each radiator so there is no room there. Soon as I have a test of out output I will get more serious about the cooler. If the skid plate takes a big impact and bends so will the aluminum heat sink pipe , there might be several pieces welded in different locations on the skidy.
    K.Forte' likes this.
  12. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 450 - last of the ITA motors
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    IMHO, not a drop of oil will be moved from the point of origin to the point of return to sump. The force from the oil spinning off the clutch basket simply is not enough, especially with the point of origin being lower than the point of return, AND an even lower point on the cooler portion.
    McKay, Motosportz and Radar like this.
  13. James Patton Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511 2012, WR125 2006
    Other Motorcycles:
    1250S Bandit, DRZ400S
    Don't discourage him! We can learn from failures and success.
    Grampa said "good experience often comes from bad experiences"
    Go rearwheelin!
    4eyes and Rearwheelin like this.
  14. Rearwheelin Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 XCW 300
    It will only take less than a half of psi to move oil threw the system . Just check in time to time and we will see who is right. :)
    ascribner likes this.
  15. Ruffus Husqvarna
    AA Class

Only one way to know for sure. Build it & accept the glory, or defeat. :thumbsup: :cheers:
    Rearwheelin likes this.
  16. stushusky Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 450
    I agree with olderhuskyrider, how is there even half a psi going into the pipe you weld on? all this will do is create extra oil capacity. You don't even have gravity on your side, if you can pick up higher and return lower that may work. Even then you need pump pressure to flow through any kind of cooler. How about an electric pump?
    Just my two cents.
  17. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Agree. Thats not going to flow oil. Gravity would not be enough even if setup that way (which it is not) and the internal crank case pressure is equalized at both your intake and outlet side. Not going to flow anything IMHO. All il coolers I have seen are attached to the oil pump pressure at some point.
    robertaccio and McKay like this.
  18. JonXX Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    360CR 360WR SM610 TC450 TXC250 TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hondas, Harleys, Yammys & a squid
    I like your concept and i'm interested to see where you go with it. I think there are some details that need to be worked out, because you can't beat physics. Two things I think you might consider are, instead of a simple pipe welded to the clutch case, your cooler inlet needs to be more like a large, flat funnel shape in order to collect a larger volume of oil. This will help with flow because there will be more oil volume/weight to help push it through. I also think you might consider placing your tubing array toward the front of your skid pan rather than the bottom, so that you get some gravity assist. You could then route your return into an oil drain or tapping into a suction/scavenge filter cap (if the 511 has one). I think you're going to spend a lot of time reshaping your "slinger pickup" so that you get the most action out of it.

I've considered tapping into the external oil line and using an orifice disc on the cooler inlet (so as not to starve the top end) and returning back to the oil filter cavity.
    Rearwheelin likes this.
  19. Rearwheelin Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 XCW 300
    The clutch on the 449/511 has full access to the engines oil reserves. There is a 360 degree opening behind the basket and two oil spill ways at the bottom. When oil goes into the clutch area its like waking into a tornado . [IMG]

The clutch covers inner inside diameter is smaller than the inner outside diameter . All oil coming in is getting the centrifugal treatment and gets forced outward to the covers walls and stays there swirling around the cover . Since to covers I.D. is largest closest to the engine case the oil in centrifugal suspension will be loaded up most there . [IMG] [IMG]

As oil pores in and hits the clutch there will be a force to the oil outward . As oil escapes threw the perforation for the cooler it will get replaced just as fast by the engines oil reserves . My theory is there are a few pound of pressure to be had out of the clutch basket on the 449/511. A water tank holding 10 feet of water will produce 5 psi at the tanks bottom. I don't know how many rpm's a tornado spins but I'm willing to guess its less than the 511.
    [IMG]

If there was a tropical rain downfall and the temps of the water drops where 98.7 F what do you feel hitting your face ? the water drops or the pressure a drop of water creates ? There is no doubt a hole in the basket will produce oil . The question is how much :oldman: [IMG]

I will weld my pipe in the spot I think will be the best and it will move oil out. I can take my Dremmel tool and cut little mini canals that all lead to the hole. A round hole with a pipe is simple and if it works good enough than I don't need to go any further with the clutch cover. :thumbsup:
  20. JonXX Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    360CR 360WR SM610 TC450 TXC250 TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hondas, Harleys, Yammys & a squid
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that you're wrong. Just pointing out that a funnel shaped collection point will collect more fluid, and like a water monitor will also help increase flow pressure. Perhaps not by much, but perhaps not much might be what it takes to get it from "kind of working" to "fully successful." It would certainly be a bit more involved in terms of fabrication. Again I like your concept and I'm interested to see how it goes. :)
    Rearwheelin likes this.