1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

How does the TXC310R compare to KTM 350?

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by jetrep, Dec 9, 2013.

1. jetrep Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TXC310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    CRF250X & 350 XCF-W
    I'm looking for input from folks who have actually ridden both of these bikes. Specifically the KTM 350 XCF-W or EXC.

I recently picked up a 2013 XCF-W 350 for a great deal when I was just about to buy a Husky. I haven't had a chance to ride the 350 much and now I won't get to ride it at all until spring. So far I like it but it doesn't feel like it handles as well as the 310. I'm thinking about picking up a 2014 TXC310R before they are all gone.

That Sherco 300 sure is interesting too but the price is higher and I won't be able to get a demo anytime soon.
  2. KGSloan Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC310r
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR450f, Kawi KLX 110, HD V-Ro
    i've ridden both, own a TXC310r and have taken many demo/test loops on a 350xcf-w and 350xcf

the 350 motor is more powerful, everywhere. and to me the KTM 350 is snappier (which i dislike, enduro rider = i like smooth). The TXC310r engine has as much snap and hit as i could ever ask for, except off the very bottom. gotta use to clutch and some revs to get it really into the power. but it's so smooth this is really not a problem at all, the TXC310r is a well ballanced engine, just not the same beast as the KTM350 IMO. the 310 puts the power down VERY efficiently, hooks up great.

as far as handling/chassis - well, they are very different. the 350 feels typical KTM, in comparison to the txc310r the bars are very low, the steering neck is low, low seat height, etc. it's a well done bike, handles well. the husky handles awesome also - a bit taller than the KTM, but very narrow and nimble. I don't think one bike will beat the other really, it's all going to be the rider and how comfortable/confident they are pushing the bikes limits.

the TXC310r feels more like a 250f to me that is kind of tall in comparison to others (I have also ridden 2012 KTM250xc-f and 2012 CRF250F many times at our home woods loop). If you've ridden 250f's, that's more the experience I get on my TXC310r - where as the KTM350 has got more hit/power than even my WR450....it's a beast.

those are my, spode class enduro rider, rambling opinions....
  3. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    I thought the EXC350 has a taller seat height? PDS shock puts it up in the 38" range, no?
  4. jetrep Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TXC310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    CRF250X & 350 XCF-W
    Having sat on both I think they are pretty close to the same seat height.

specs I found online for seat height:
    350: 38.2"
    310: 37.4"
  5. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    I 99% agree with KGSloan. Ive been riding my TE310 since 2011 and my 2013 TXC310R since spring 2013, I have ridden 2 new KTM350XCFs (linkage bikes). The TXC310R is easier/less tiring to ride at my old/ammie/expert skill level its a boosted 250F basically.
    In the hands of a fast pro or more open terrain I think the 350 Kato would be the choice (although the 310 has 2 world championships in the E2 class). I feel that my 11 blackhead has more bottom than the 350, the red head 2013 is more moto like and more like the kato 350 and likes revs. My personal choice is that the TXC310R is better for what I do ride and race in my world, thats why I have it.
    Oh yea the OEM KTMs actually fit my large size better, for me I happen to like Kato ergos, the X-Lite chassis is small sized layout (125 size dims) but I have adjusted and shrink myself to fit, in race crouch position.
    LandofMotards likes this.
  6. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    The new FE350 Husqvarna should fill the new hardcore midsized 4T enduro bike spot very well. I think this bike will be a new fave among the 4T enduro crowd. Its where I will most likely go if I stay with the 4T.
  7. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    Fully agree that the 350 feels roomier. My riding buddy has a 13 350 exc f with a rekluse and Scotts damper and it feels bigger than my TE310. FWIW, I dust him in the open fields. Could just be the rider(?) Probably
  8. OldFred Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki 250
    This thread is just up my alley .
    I'm on the fence, and this thread is headed in a helpful direction.
    I'm 60 years old, but fit for an old dinosaur . .
    Been back on two wheels a few years now , having ridden two strokes in my younger days.

I have been riding a Kaw 250 well set up for dirt trails and woods for two years ,but want a little less weight ,little more power , and better handling . Been reading on the Husky 310 R for a month , and it seems ideal . Traction , handling, gearing , an extra 50 cc's and the trusted Husqvarna name are a plus.

I rode a KTM 350 - the street legal - this past weekend , and consider it perhaps too much money , heavy on the maintenance as listed by the manufacturer , and probably more power (46hp) than I'd ever use. Fine bike , an industry standard .

This makes the 2014 310R more appealing. I'm ready for a test ride when it warms up a bit.
    My only concern might be the fact that this will be a discontinued model , and that the 310 is somewhat of a niche size.

Any thoughts ? I appreciate any comments .
  9. dfriz Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FC 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    1200 Aprilia Dorsoduro
    I just bought a 14 te310r awesome ride raced Huskys in the 70's my Dad and best friend have 450 KTM's they can't pull away form me at all:thumbsup:
    OldFred likes this.
  10. dfeckel Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have yet to ride my '14 TXC310R more than around the yard a little bit, so I can't really comment on its characteristics too much. I still have a bunch of setup to do over the winter before I actually ride it in anger. However, I did ride a KTM 350 XC with a Rekluse and woods valved suspension, and I have to say it was a pretty awesome machine. Great, controllable, seamless power. I have been a 2-stroke convert for several years now, but that bike made me curious to test the 4-stroke waters again. And with the prospect of the Italian Huskies going away, and at fire sale prices, I figured now was the time to pull the trigger.
  11. LAHuskyrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    1983 Maico 490, 2013 KTM 300 XC-W
    I had decided I wanted to move to a street-legal dirt bike after riding YZ250s for nearly 20 years. I did not want a dual-sport but rather a true dirt bike with a plate. I also wanted fuel injection and e-start with kick back up and something that would be nimble in the tight woods. This left me with basically two choices: TE310R or KTM 350EXC. I had always lusted after the looks of the italian Husky and although I have never ridden a KTM, I read alot of reviews of both bikes as well as comparisons. There is no local dealer for either bike so that was of no help to me as well.
    I have to be honest, the difference in price was what swayed me to the Husky as it was around $3K less. Once powered up, I was immediately as fast as I was in the woods on my YZ. The handling of the 310 is perfect for the tight woods.
    After reading all the posts here on the CR/WR 125/144/165 bikes, now I am contemplating picking one of those up as they sound like a total hoot and I love riding tiddlers, even though I am clearly too fat to really be on one. LOL
  12. Ocotillo Boy Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TXC 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    2011 Husaberg FE390 DS
    Well, I have not ridden a 350 but...

I've owned many many bikes. Current ride is a 2011 Husaberg FE90 that has been the best bike I've owned to date. (25 plus dirt bikes)

I bought a 2014 TXC 310R for my kid to upgrade from his CRF 250X. One ride and he said it was to much, didn't like it.

Um, ok. Lemme see that thing....

Wow! Love this bike! Faster on it than my Berg. It is now a keeper. It handles like its on rails, VERY confidence inspiring, very light and the motor just feels spot on.

This bike is more fun than a barrel of monkeys.

110 year anniversary, the LAST Italian made Husky, Red head motor makes it collectible in my opinion.

Got a ripper deal too so I don't feel bad about having two bikes. Lol!

image.jpg
  13. Ocotillo Boy Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TXC 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    2011 Husaberg FE390 DS
    One more. Beautiful with the black wheels.
    image.jpg
    shrubitup and OldFred like this.
  14. OldFred Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki 250
    Wow ! Thanks for the replies ,It seems like all the posts confirm my gut feeling.
    I'd really like getting rid of the fifty extra pounds on my Kaw ,pick up some low end torque, true offroad enduro handling/suspension , and just maybe get a deal on the last of the 310 R .
  15. OldFred Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki 250
    Thanks,dfeckel .
    The KTM I rode is a great machine, but I feel ya with the price difference.
  16. jetrep Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TXC310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    CRF250X & 350 XCF-W
    How does the 310 compare to the CRF250X?
  17. Micfasto Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TXC 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR400, Vstrom
    I can compare my 2012 TXC310 to a 2013 KTM 350XC-W. The Husky with an FMF pipe has more bottom end the KTM (with stock pipe) For a 50cc deference they are not to far apart on the top end as well. I liked both bikes and would have bought either at the same price. The KTM had $1000 worth of suspension work done to it. My bike has $50 into the forks and they where pretty close with my TXC310 being more race oriented.
  18. Weantright Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2019 FX350 w/KYB Inserts
    Other Motorcycles:
    2017 FE250 w/OC, 2016 XTrainer w/KYB
    I have rode all three bikes TE310, 350EXC and a 300SE-Ri. Both the 310 and the 350 were 2012 models and the Sherco was a 2013 raced prepped. The KTM was much better than the older years but still was a little nervous. The TE had a racier package and the front wheel seemed to float and not stay planted. Between these two bikes, if you are racing get the TE otherwise all around riding including DS get the 350.

As for the Sherco, I was very comfortable on it right from the start of my ride. Motor was very smooth and was lighter feeling than both the 310 and the 350. Bike was planted and plenty of power for a 300 but light compared to the 350. This bike was balance and lug well down low. The gearing was not as good as the KTM but slightly better than the 310.
  19. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R
    TXC310R
    [IMG]

KTM350
    [IMG]
    mnb, Ken Hynes and LandofMotards like this.
  20. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    The new 350 SX-F engine puts out 49.4hp 27ftlbsTorque (1.3hp less than the 450). It's powerband is very linear like the 449's and keeps climbing to 11k rpm without drop out. It is impressive.

310R 37.8hp