1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

How do you know if you're due a new piston/sleeve/crank?

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Padowan, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Padowan Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R850GS, Yamaha TTR250
    As above really. Without waiting for some kind of catastrophic failure, how can I check if my piston, sleeve or crank are due for replacement?

I guess I could do a compression test to check for a worn piston/bore, but then again I'd expect a smoky engine if that was worn. The bike is running map3 with akro, so strictly speaking I should be following the competition schedule, but I'm no racer!

I've done 70hr on the bike, and have no idea how many hours it had on it when I bought it as the hr meter on the dash never worked. The odo is saying 1,600 miles but I don't think it's an original dash, as it shows that it's a Supermoto model on startup, and the speed/trip/odo is well out of calibration.

There's nothing wrong with the bike, I'm just trying to understand if I can do something proactively, without simply replacing components that still have plenty of life, just cos the manual says so...
  2. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Change in engine noise, loss of power, hard starting.......

The manual may specify a service interval but that is typically a pro racer/hard use schedule.

It all depends.

If you change oil, clean air filters, and don't keep riding with the radiators boiling over, you can get hundreds of hours before a rebuild.

Now, if you feel a massive lower end knock, or a death rattle, it is time to pull over and take the motor apart.

Of course, I had a death rattle once in my Yamaha WR444. I stopped immediately, towed the bike out and took the motor apart and found nothing but a tiny chip in the kickstart idler gear that would have fallen out in 10 seconds if I did not kill the motor immediately. I should have blipped the throttle instead. LOL!
  3. silverstreakNZ Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82cr500,76gp360,90wr250,81 420AXC
    Other Motorcycles:
    74 tm400 , 02 gasgas ec 300
    The majob components will last along time if you never hit limiter . Checking compression will give you an idea .
    Another point is to regularly check valve clearances . Once they've settled in they won't change a whole lot . If they change more than usual one day then it needs looking at closer . I've got mates that get 4 years out a a rmz450 and it's fine because it never sees limiter .
    Every second on the limiter is ten minutes off its life