1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

How do our old Italian Huskys compare to new bikes?

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Michael_chicago, Jul 16, 2022.

1. Michael_chicago Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 TE250, original owner
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia Tuono, Ducati 900ss, YZF750
    I’ve got an 04’ TE250 (300 kit). Original owner. I’ve never ridden anything newer. I cut my teeth on that bike in Michigan when new, and I was in my 30s. I’m in New England for the summer and brought my bike. Pretty damn rocky up here, and it got me to wondering just how much better new bikes are with their lighter weight and modern suspension (never mind the FI!). Tho obvious answer is for me to go ride one, but I haven’t had the opportunity. My suspension is fresh and sprung for my weight. I was reasonably quick when I was younger. I’m heavier now and less fit. Love my bike, so no wish to sell. Just curious…

Anybody here with some first-hand experience?
  2. GrooveThang Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE
    Other than weight I don’t feel like I’m giving up anything to a new bike. I have 2008 TE250 and I’m always getting complements on how modern it looks and runs. I also have a 2012 KTM but I’d rather ride the Husky most days. Gonna sell the KTM soon and get a newer bike but the Husky stays…..
  3. Michael_chicago Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Mine gets a lot of curious looks, being blue and yellow ("Is that a Husaberg?") :)

Looks like the 2022 SWM300 is basically the 2010 Husky with maybe updated suspension? Those are $8200 msrp (I think) and a new Husky 350 4T is just over $12,000. I wonder how much better that Husky is? I guess if you're racing at the pointy-end, you've got to have the lightest and fastest. But, the rest of us?

Why do you prefer to ride the Husky? Is your KTM 4t o 2t, and what displacement?

I rode my friend's 07' KTM EXC450 in the woods way back when, and much preferred my little 250. His just felt big and slower-turning in the single-track.
    GrooveThang and flyingbob like this.
  4. shrubitup Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '00 TE610 (pretty much a WXE610)
    Other Motorcycles:
    Husaberg FE450, KTM 200EXC, Triumph
    Only rode a '12 TXC310 for a short bit but did own a '12 KTM 350XCF. For trail riding (slow), I would have much rather had the Italian Husky as the KTM had poor low end power and wanted to stall constantly. A new $12K Husky made by KTM is not that much better than the '12 KTM that I had.

Be interesting to know whether the new SWM has fully fixed the e-start issue that the Italian Husky 310 had. Assuming that's fixed, I'd pick the SWM.
    GrooveThang likes this.
  5. flyingbob Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    01 WR360_02 WR250_12 WB165_17 FC350
    Other Motorcycles:
    01 VOR400_07 TM450_22 GG250_07 Tuono
    I had a 2004 TE450 and felt as good on it as any of the bikes I've had since.
    Right now I'm on a 2017 FC350 with full Ohlins, FWW, GET ecu & other goodies. It's nice, but I honestly think your bike is just as worthy.
    I also have a Tuono R1000!!!
    And for the record, I pull my 2012 WB165 out of the van more than the 350 :)
    Michael_chicago likes this.
  6. Michael_chicago Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Wasn't the 310 Husky with the starter issue the one with the spiral, or "worm" gear? I saw a guy at the trails last weekend that had one of those. He said that he was told to only use the e-start on the rails if he stalled (He also told me his was for sale). The SWM 300 is based on the older motor (I think used up until 2010?). I love the finger-follower design and being able to change shims without moving the cams. I do wish they had installed a timing mark for TDC, though!
  7. Michael_chicago Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    That's really interesting, your opinion of the FC350 vs. the older stuff. I bet those new injected two-strokes with electric start are pretty cool though! Tuono is a solid bike; that Rotax motor is bullet-proof.
    flyingbob likes this.
  8. shrubitup Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes, that's right, the SWM copied the non red head motor or when Cagiva made them vice when BMW began making them. So it is possible that the new SWM RS300 is without an e-start issue.
  9. GrooveThang Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE
    KTM 150xc. The Husky handles better, is more comfortable, and has better suspension. The KTM is a no compromise race bike. It’s fun but requires your full attention. The forks are under sprung for my weight. Build quality isn’t as robust either.
    shrubitup likes this.
  10. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

The estart is very reliable on the design SWM is using.
    shrubitup likes this.
  11. Soderberg Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE 310r
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gasgas ec250 -18, Yamaha WR250F
    Ive had 3 x-lites (11, 14 & 14). Bought a Gasgas EC250 -18 new and a couple of month agoa new WR250F. Except
    for that the GG is i 2stroker, none is better than the othe I drive as fast with the Husky as with the WRF. The Husky is by far the best bike for the buck I have ever owned. Probably why I refuse to sell the last one.
    Ola
    GrooveThang, shrubitup and flyingbob like this.
  12. GrooveThang Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE
    How you liking the WR250f? Did you do the GYTR updates?
  13. Soderberg Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE 310r
    Other Motorcycles:
    I dont know what the updates are, but I love most of it. Ive only ridden it for 11 hours so far. The only reason I went blue is because I dont want anything else but KYB. The only negative so far is Yamahas horrible mount for the radiator wings. If you hit the ground the radiator will bend backwords and the wing instantly points out in the middle as it is about 300mm between the bolts that hold the wing. Ive have had 4 very tiny falls and bent the radiator three of them. No leaks so no damaged parts. Its a pita during a competition though as the wing points 50mm out, exactly where you have your leg when sitting in a corner. The pants get stuck where the wing points out. VERY FRUSTRATING. Its not better that it takes 10 minutes to mount one wing for an experienced Yamaha owner. The front screw has to be lined through three layers to find the m6 clips. But except for that its the best bike Ive ever had out from the box . I have tried three different maps but I have to be honest. I dont feel them any different, even though the two new ones are very kind. The best enduro engine Ive ever owned is the TE310 redhead 12-14. I would swap the WR to the TE instantly if possible.
    Ola
    GrooveThang and shrubitup like this.
  14. John s Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Te310
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda monkey
    I bought a 2012 te310 this year. My last bike was a 1972 Suzuki 185 enduro so the new bikes are awesome and the old bikes are awesome as well because they are vintage. I can do a lot of things on the husky that I could not do on that Suzuki in the 70s and would choose the husky over the Suzuki every time but I do have really fond memories of that old bike.
    Soderberg and flyingbob like this.
  15. Michael_chicago Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    OP here. I've spent the last six weekends in a row riding up in CT, made a bunch of new friends and got to try a "modern bike." Well, two, actually. I rode a 2017 Beta Xtrainer and 2021? Beta 200RR. I thought the Xtrainer was nice, with loads of torque and easy to go over all the rocks up here. The latest models have a counterbalancer; this one didn't, and I definitely noticed all the vibration. The owner of the 200RR had sprung his bike even lighter for his weight of around 160lbs. I'm a big guy, and the bike was horribly undersprung. I almost ate it when I hit a series of whoops going a little too fast.

I've been struggling with my carburation for awhile now. It's fuels well, except has a tendency to stall when hot at low rpms (when I really need it in technical sections or a climb). Someone mentioned an o-ring on the jet block that can be an issue (it's the 04' Mikuni). Anyway, I had picked up a Keihin on Ebay for pennies (seriously, $85 shipped is crazy cheap) when a guy parted his bike after the motor blew. I had it with me and swapped carbs. And, amazingly, it fired right up and ran perfectly, the new carb transforming the bike. No more stalling in the technical sections. What a joy, especially with the 300cc Athena kit.

I prefer the engine braking of the 4T, and the fuel efficiency is a plus. I'll keep trying bikes as I get the opportunity, but I sure love my old TE250. I wasn't pushing on the Betas, so who knows, but I really like my bike. I think I'm a "B" rider before I run out of breath. A faster pace might expose weaknesses, but I really like what I got. I mean, geez the 450 did win the Worlds back 03' or 04'. It can't be all that bad of a chassis!
  16. Soderberg Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE 310r
    Other Motorcycles:
    What few people realize is that the Xlite 12-14 has all the parts that can be found on several 2022 bikes. KYB twin chamber forks, KYB rear chock, Keihin injection, premium rims, Brembo brakes etc. The TE/TXC 250/310 is in my opinion the most underrated bike out there. I have adjusted my new Yamaha WRF 250 -22 to the same ergonomic specs as my 310. I ride as fast with both of them. The difference is that its getting harder and harder to find parts for the Husky. If it would have been sold today I wouldnt even consider changing brand. Remember that Antoine Meo won two world championships with these bikes just 10 years ago.
  17. Soderberg Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE 310r
    Other Motorcycles:
    Another funny story is that Meo couldnt get his orange bikes WP suspension to work, so the first year he ran WP branded Sachs :thumbsup::applause:. I heard this story from one of Swedens oldest and biggest suspension gurus. He also claimed that motorcycle people are kinda stupid for looking down on Sachs. This was his words "Sachs is by far the biggest premium suspensin manufacturer in the world and the car racing industry has valued them as top notch since 50 years back, why doesnt the bike people realize that?" He said that Sachs parts is closer to Ohlins standard than any other brand. I cant do anything but agree. Take a KYB, WP or whatever apart and look at the parts beside a disassembled Sachs. I prefer KYB though because its easier to find parts.
    GrooveThang likes this.
  18. oneal Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 wr 250 returned home.
    Other Motorcycles:
    07 TE 450 2005 TE 450 1999 CR 125
    I still love my huskies a 05 -07 te 450's and my 99 cr 125 and 99 wr 250 i don't give up much to the newer bikes they maybe a little heavy but who really cares.
  19. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    My two strokes are very close to the newer bikes, but my old 07 TE450 was a heavy, poor handling bike. And that is why I got rid of it, but still have my WRs.
    GrooveThang and 2premo like this.
  20. shrubitup Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    All is relative. Compare a TE450 to an early KTM RFS. I suspect the KTM feels heavier. I rode an 05 or so TE510 and liked it. My old 03 525MXC was fun for about 25 miles and then you felt the weight - especially when braking down steep mountain grades. Could measure its ineffectiveness there. :eek: My old WXE (TE) 610 is lighter than the RFS and I feel that on each ride.