How do I turn a grey tank to black ??

Discussion in 'General (Main)' started by macwood, Jun 27, 2011.

1. macwood Husqvarna
    B Class

I am tidying up my 06 wr 250 including all new 09 main plastics but my tank and radiator shrouds are grey and dont really match the look i'm after, would love them to be black , does any one know if there is some way to turn them black?

thanks in advance Macca (in Australia)
  2. dalecarlsbad1 Husqvarna
    C Class

If the tank is plastic....there is no way that paint will stick to the surface as gasoline vapors seep through the plastic. That is why after-market stickers attached to the tank will bubble and not stay flush.

As for the shrouds....there are spray paints available that claim to stick to plastic, but I don't imagine the shrouds will retain the look after a few swipes in the bush.
  3. J.R. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    450 Supermoto! and a BUNCH 'O parts
  4. ThunderPaw Husqvarna
    B Class

Try a permanent marker (laundry pen). They make fat Sharpies too.
  5. J.R. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Seriously? Wonder if you would see the "brush strokes" (marker lines)
  6. fletchman45 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Dude Buy a different tank and or lower shrouds !! Have done alot of paint work on alot of stuff. I agree the tank is OUT!! Will look good for a week or so. Can't you get the lower shrouds in black???? Aftermarket bigger tank or what??? You will create problems for yourself messing with the tank!! Good luck!!
  7. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    dozens of them, kicked to the curb
    short of replaceing it to get it black permanently?

a match.

sorry! [IMG]
  8. J.R. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    The paint definitely does not work but dying does work. I've dyed some gray husky parts. Frame guards and things. But the radiator shrouds didn't take the dye very well. Other than that, the other parts worked. I haven't had time to dye a tank yet but still plan to..
    [IMG]

If you want black plastics, '07 is the year you'll need to order parts from. That's when Husky started using black
  9. ThunderPaw Husqvarna
    B Class

Try the sharpie, what do you got to loose. It may take 2 coats, as some will be absorbed. Streaks not problem. I painted a car with a sharpie and get many compliments.
  10. J.R. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Haha I think I will. If you've seen the tank goin on one of my bikes you would definitely ask what I have to lose. It's all sports of sun faded..
  11. Runner Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE510
    If anybody has success with dye or a Sharpie[IMG], please post photos of the results (not of already black plastic parts, please!)
  12. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    Mothers makes some stuff called 'Back to Black' ... it'll help the black items black over time ....
  13. nick baker Husqvarna
    C Class

mate this might sound weird but ive heard of guys using black boot polish. for some reason it doesnt come off on your riding gear either. you've really got nothing to loose trying it and im pretty sure it will do the job for ya.
  14. J.R. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Did a little experimenting today..

[IMG]

Next to oem black tank:
    [IMG]

Same pics but after washing them with water and a brush. Seemed to get rid of the purple look but the brush strokes are still there:
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

After Washing, it turned pretty well surprisingly. Up close you can see the brush strokes, but I think I'll experiment with some different strokes or something. I need to load up on markers!
  15. J.R. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    A little update..

The sharpie doesnt hold up to gas. Get a little on it and the sharpie gets everywhere. So Ill be cleaning it off and dying it with rit dye later on. Worth a shot and had fun trying.
  16. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS