How do I adjust a SM 610 clutch cable?

Discussion in '610/630' started by dualie, Dec 2, 2014.

1. dualie Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 SM 610
    image.jpg Replaced the stock clutch cable with a Barnett cable. The clutch pull is now way harder than the stock clutch pull. Also, the clutch engages prematurely (near the grip) and slams or "clanks" into first gear. Here's a pic of the cable at the engine. image.jpg
  2. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

There should be another adjuster about 1ft down the cable from the lever.

Regarding the hard pull. This should no be the case. Make sure the cable is not kinked or twisted anywhere
  3. dualie Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 SM 610
    Thanks. However, the Barnett cable only allows for two adjustment points. One is at the clutch lever and perch and the other is as pictured at the engine side of the clutch cable.

Anyways, from what I've read online, if the clutch is engaging too soon when releasing the clutch lever, you should move the engine clutch lever adjustment nuts up the cable. As you can see in the pic, this is what I've done.

As far as the clutch resistance is concerned, I'm thinking to re-route the clutch underneath the bars, to see if that'll help with the resistance in the pull. Hey, and not that anything is extremely wrong with the resistance. It's just notably more resistant than the stock cable was.

Again, thanks for your help.
  4. Muddy Waters Husqvarna
    AA Class

I thought that the Barnett cable was a little longer then the OEM one, therefor you could reroute it in a more "natural" route that made it a bit easier to operate?
    I might be wrong though....:thinking:
  5. JonXX Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    360CR 360WR SM610 TC450 TXC250 TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hondas, Harleys, Yammys & a squid
    And that's why it engages where it does. You've adjusted it to the "maximum slack" position. Put the lower adjustment in the middle and fine tune at the lever adjuster.
  6. dualie Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 SM 610
    Thanks everyone, but in particular, thank you JonXX, as you answered my question more precisely. I will turn the lower nut(s) at the engine end of the cable, until it (they) reach the center of the adjuster thread, and then go from there for the remainder of the adjustment at the handlebar end of the cable.

18 Mar 2015 edit: Finally found the time and motive (upcoming season) to get it sorted. Works a treat now; just have to make minor adjustments at the clutch handle adjuster (perch) and I'm good to go.
    JonXX likes this.
  7. JonXX Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    360CR 360WR SM610 TC450 TXC250 TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hondas, Harleys, Yammys & a squid
    I hope you get it sorted...Nobody likes a snaggy clutch