1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

How difficult is it to make a SMR 450 a 510?

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by spleno1, Sep 30, 2010.

1. spleno1 Husqvarna

Is it just a matter of bolting on a larger head and piston or is it stupid to even contemplate this radical maneuver? :naughty:
  2. stushusky Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 450
    I though the 510 was a stroked 450, ie longer stroke same bore.
    This means the crank is different and the barrel but the head
    Probably the same? I'm sure someone knows for sure
  3. tls25rs Husqvarna
    AA Class

Pretty sure I'll be corrected if I am wrong so here goes.

Connecting rod
    Cylinder
    Timing chain
    Head studs

Can't remember anything else that I saw different when I changed a set of 450 cases/engine parts into a 510.

Joel
  4. jlk_250 Husqvarna
    A Class

And crank, since the 510 is indeed a stroked 450. It sounds like it would be easy to convert a 450 to 510 but it just isn't practical to do so.
  5. spleno1 Husqvarna

Why is it not practical to do? Sounds like its going to cost me less then half to make something rad :professor: In addition to the initial question. How aboot we switch it from a 250 to a 510?? I ask this because my 250 needs to be a 510 SMR... :cheers:
  6. jlk_250 Husqvarna
    A Class

I guess "practical" is up to each person. I just mean that by the time people figure out how much it's going to cost to do it, they choose not to.
  7. spleno1 Husqvarna

8. MXRider Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Yamaha YZ250F
    The amount of money you spent would be dwarfed by your disappointment after the first ride. The actual difference between a 450 and 510 in hp and torque is very small, and in fact the 510 is a slower revving and slightly less maneuverable package.

Your money would be better spent in a high compression piston, cam and head work. That said, I would love to have my 450 turned into a 530RR, thats almost an 8hp gain over a standard 450.
    OlderHuskyRider likes this.
  9. spleno1 Husqvarna

I have heard ur full of :censored: about the "slower reving". Of course you would like to have your 450 be a 530RR:notworthy: I am asking all of this because Iam toying with what my next bike is going to be. All I have heard in chat is "I have a 450, oh and I wish I would have spent the extra $500 and gotten a 510." Just trying to save myself the dissapointment later ya know.

Oh and for all you know I may have a barn full of husky parts:cheers:
  10. MXRider Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Yamaha YZ250F
    really? you have a hard time believing a piston that has to travel farther up and down would be slower revving?
    have you ridden a 450 and 510 back to back on a race track? I have.

Oh and BTW, way to make fun of someone who was giving honest insight on a question you asked on a public forum.
    Grow up.
  11. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    lots was said but if you go into the parts catalog its very clear by the application codes
  12. spleno1 Husqvarna

Hey simmer down senior member, I am grown and older then you. :doh: So don't blow ur lid and toot ur horn too fast Jr...

In reality cam design, timing, compression ration will have more effect than minor differences in bore and stroke.

I know nothing about anything. We restore British sports cars for a living, my dad builds high horse power turbo engines and this is my buddy video taping me when I last visited him in Europe. Maybe you have seen my video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViwaepHyPxY

Keeping on topic I conclude to get the 510. His 610's are rad but theyre heavier and I dont like the look of the 610's really at all.

Peace be with you, and also with you :cheers:
  13. MXRider Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Yamaha YZ250F
    :rolleyes: lol, ok.
    way to act like a disrespectful little kid.
  14. hotducati Husqvarna
    B Class

sick vid. can you teach me to drift? is that all done with the brake?
  15. Highflyer Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Husaberg FC550,FE650, Kawasaki KX250
    Hi.
    Is there no diffences to a TE450 piston VS. a TE510 piston? And a counterbalancer shaft(CS) in the 450 and 510? It looks like there is different part # on them.
  16. huskyfrk Husqvarna
    AA Class

510’s shake a LOT more then 450. there is a kit sold from husky that includes crank, piston barrel, timing chain, gaskets close to 1k if i recall .. honesty i would stick w what you have . get a H/C piston a little porting, exhaust and call it a day....