1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

How common is kick back ?

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by 84scrambler, Feb 23, 2017.

1. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    hahahahahahaha
    fran...k. likes this.
  2. 84scrambler Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 xc 250, 85 wrx 250, 79 wr 250
    Ok, anybody have or where to get these exact specs ?
  3. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    what oil mix are you using ...too lazy to back read the thread. oil spooge can take awhile to reduce as a number of short rides will load the pipe and muffler with pooh. until you do a 5 minute 60 mph run down a long road to burn the pipe out, pooh may present itself on a regular basis:rolleyes:
    84scrambler likes this.
  4. Eric The Leg Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 WR400, 1985 WRX400, 1979 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 Kawasaki KZ 440
    On the hard hot starting, kickback thing. My '86 started doing that a couple years before the ignition died on me. might be a good time to check over the leads, connections, etc from your stator to your coil and make sure all of the insulation is in good shape, etc.

As far as pure gas goes, here in WA, it's marinas only. Luckily I live in the western part of the state where those are pretty common.

For the black stuff on your rear fender, there could be sources having nothing to do with your carb, so I'm with the 'tune for performance' crowd. Hopefully you don't have gear oil making it into your crank case.
  5. 84scrambler Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 xc 250, 85 wrx 250, 79 wr 250
    Nope brand new viton seals last year, been all through this thing 3 freaking times that's another story when you have a lot of time to read thru old project builds.
    I never thought of those 5 and 10 min rides tho, your probably right on the build up. I really need to take the thing out and ride it on a weekend.
    As far as the ignition goes, well it is almost 40 yrs old.
  6. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    my scoot has the orig motosplat and its been a picture of reliability...:rolleyes: touch wood, wood products fakewood etc
  7. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    I thought it was from sugar cane. Brazil/south america

Since we are off topic from kick back. The fertilizer used to grow the corn makes a dead zone in the gulf of mexico.

I could easily go on but that probably is more appropriate elsewhere perhaps in the diner section.
  8. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Yes I think it's sugar cane sorry brain fade again.
  9. grouty Auto Lover ...

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    78 390WR, 78 390 AMX, 500 Humph
    Other Motorcycles:
    works 73 CCM 520, another 73 CCM520

Ha ! I had always said that with the Motosplat on my 78 390WR ..... until it cried enough on a timecard enduro ! It died the furthest away from the pits it possibly could. Bit of a let down as we had traveled 450 miles to do the 2 day event, and it shat itself halfway round the first lap ! It was obviously curling it's toes up for some time as the new MZB (Power Dynamo) has made it run sooo much better. It never suffered from kick back though.

As far as petrol (gas) goes in the UK, I use super unleaded (97 RON) mixed with 115 octane race fuel at 20%. It does not degrade, has minimal water uptake, and keeps the oil in suspension. Super unleaded has minimal ethanol compared to standard unleaded (95 RON).
    84scrambler likes this.
  10. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    Bit of a let down as we had travelled 450 miles to do the 2 day event, and it shat itself halfway round the first lap

that was the enduro gods you fool!! :lol: nothing to do with the ign...you must have p*ssed them off somewhere:notworthy::oldman:

that's also why I only go on short rides these days...
  11. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Now facts,

Always wear riding boots when kicking starting.
    Bring it up to top dead center just a tad past it then kick it like you mean it. Don't soft kick it.
    If she's timed correctly and jetted right kick back shouldn't happen that often.
    Don't even think about kick back when kicking it.
  12. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    If we ever broke down far away from the trailer we'd be up the creek with no paddle. I hate to even think about pushing the bike on the gas pipeline in Otis,mass. Even October mountain in Lee mass. We do three 1 1/2hr loops and never hit the same trail twice. This riding are is so big some carry maps so they don't get lost. But the hills on the pipeline are challenging even with a running bike.
    I never lost an ignition in the trails. Lucky I guess.
  13. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    My father and I rode together enough that both of us always carried a 20 ft piece of nylon clotheline to use for emergency tows. Does not work if you are riding alone like I was prone to do back then. Stung me when the countershaft splines stripped on my MR250 and I was in a gully halfway down Sodom Mountain(Southwick/Granville) on the gasline on the east face of the mountain. I never worked so hard to get a bike down a slope. I was 19 and whipped by the time I got it down to the road at the base. A friend lived close so I pushed it to his house and he gave me a ride home so I could come back with the Holsclaw trailer to retrieve it . Twas not fun but a learning opportunity.
  14. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Those hills and valleys on the pipeline in the Granville area are killer it's no place to break down. Know it well been there many times. Must watch out for black bears too.

I see a kid on a quad fly by us as we stopped to look at the down slope of the hill for the best way to get down. He didn't know the area, and the trail got vertical going down. He was screaming like a little school girl. Lucky he made it. With two trails one can be easier or safer than the other.

To explain this area you can ride as far as you can see it goes on forever. Through valleys and up and down large hills. This is the pipeline it's like a highway. Now most of the trails in the forest areas are dried up stream beds that come to life in the winter runoff. Some can be very rocky. This area can really teach you how to ride. I think this area is the Indy 500 of the east for off road riding. To spend the day one must bring plenty of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and chocolate good energy.

If you live in the northeast you have to ride the Mass. pipeline or October mountain in Lee,mass. At October mountain they have maps at the rangers office. There's a four way intersection you can park and ride from plenty of trails. We left the house at 7:30am got home at 9pm. It's an hour away.
  15. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    As to the food along the way, I can go all day no problem. Not to be inferred I could ride the kind of trails the BBB enduro uses in that area for anything close to a day.

To use that trail system some sort of purchased plate is required isn't it. Probably the kind of off road place for Thomaston Dam In Ct is different. I could not figure if my out of state road registration counts for those Mass forests. Minors are supposed to have some certificate. It has been years since I went out there, a noisy bike like these here would likely get as much attention as anything out there.
  16. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    mass has a agreement with vt on the snowmobile registrations it may roll over into the dirtbikes regs. I'm not sure about the ct regs. I had mass regs on my quad. The dirtbikes I rode there has vt plates.