How come there aren't any automatic off road bikes?

Discussion in 'General (Main)' started by Eaglefreek, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Eaglefreek Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300
    I know Husky dabbled in auto bikes a few decades ago and it didn't set the world on fire, but with the popularity of the Rekluse and today's technology, I figured some manufacturer would have one. I wouldn't want one nor do I have a Rekluse, just curious. I'm assuming cost, weight and packaging.
  2. Arctra Husqvarna
    AA Class

I'd say it's more because of feel and performance. At least with the Rekluse I can choose what gear I want to be in and I can change it pretty quickly without any delay. If the auto box in my car is anything to go by, the auto box is/would be sluggish in comparison. That's where the double-clutch gearboxes that VW/Audi/etc are offering have come to the fore - their gear changes are nearly instant and there is little to no break in power delivery as one clutch engages while the other disengages. Even with that improvement the jury seems to be largely out for anyone wanting to drive the cars in anger/race them. I was watching a shootout between 2 identical Porches - one with the double clutch gearbox and one with the traditional manual gearbox. Off the start line and in a straight line the double clutch had the upper hand, but in the corners the manual was superior. Now think about how often you are turning and punching out of corners when riding and you probably have your answer.
  3. street2dirt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 TXC310, WR300, 85 125WR, 82 175XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW G650X
    Yea but an upgraded Husky Auto would be freakin' awesome. It didn't matter what gear it was in bcuz it was ALWAYS the right one... The higher maintenance & some reliability issues from the monster 2smoke power was a problem if I remember(hey I'm old)
    bigjon likes this.
  4. rasputin Husqvarna
    AA Class

with a wide-open throttle, that's true. but if you close the throttle, a cvt will shift to the longest possible gear. if you open the throttle again, it takes some time, plus a little jolt, for the cvt to return to the "right gear". not the best thing for "throttle response" (actually, transmission response), and an application with limited traction.
    i guess, an electronic cvt would do a perfect job. but then, this would be expensive, and i personally don't like to replace mechanic parts with electronics (same goes for powervalves, and to a certain extent fuel injection).

r
  5. CoKTM Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 300 XC
    The old Husky auto's were not a CVT, they were an actual automatic transmission that shifted gears. I never had an opportunity to ride one but what I remember (also an old guy) is that they worked great in nasty terrain as they were always in the correct gear. They were pretty high tech for their day and command a pretty good price for a good one today.

If you scroll down in the attached link there is good description and test of the 360 Automatic.

http://yeoldecycleshoppe.wordpress.com/category/husqvarna/#jp-carousel-3744

CoKTM
  6. SlowPokeYOCS Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    chainsaw
    Other Motorcycles:
    1973 Z1, 1970 Bridgestone Hurricane
  7. Cookies Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TXC450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Had: 78 390 Auto, 83 cr250 84 cr250
    I was lucky to race a 1978 390 Auto back in the day, my dad had one. I raced it twice at a Grand Prix in Riverside (Viewfinders, I think 1982 and 83). What was great, off the start, as long as you could keep the front tire down, you could pin it. Out of the corners wasn't bad, but certainly a lag for it to find the right gear, but not a long as you think. It would feel like it could keep pulling forever. Looking back I don't think a Manual trans could keep up when going thru the gears, especially in those days, trans just didn't shift that quickly.

What I didn't like was there was no back pressure, so it just freewheeled when letting off the throttle. It added more work going into the corners, zero natural braking. And in those days it was all drums (and you didn't use the front brake much at all).

On the trails, it easy and fun, rode it a couple of times in Kennedy Meadows and Dove Springs. Downhills and free wheeling got old, especially since I was used to riding a 250 2 stroke.

Bike was in the family until 1990 or so, was sold to a collector. It was ridden all the time, but parts for the clutches were getting harder to find.
  8. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    Depends on how loose the term automatic is applied. There are automatic clutch anyway in the child size bikes 50cc. The battery electric currently are one speed so they might sort of be considered automatic. The regenerative braking from what I understand can be incorporated into what happens when the throttle is backed off creating possibilities not possible before. If those two wheel drive Rokon things are still available they might be automatic from what I recall.
  9. ct cr430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 cr 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 honda crf450
    The 1 rokon that I tried still had to be shifted but then it was an early 70's model . New ones may be different , don't know .
  10. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    no shifting. Buddy rode one at the ISDE qualifier they had here last weekend at Washougal MX. He had never been on one and won his A class. He is a fast rider for sure but had zero issues getting up to speed and several who rode it came away VERY impressed.

[IMG]
    LandofMotards and robertaccio like this.
  11. steadydirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 2002 wr 250 1994 wxe 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    fj 1100 cb500 cb350 rt 200 xs 650
    Bigbill likes this.
  12. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    'Lectric motorcicles is the work if da Devil Bobby Boucher!
    87husky500xc likes this.
  13. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    Is the Africa Twin offering an auto or CVT tranny as its top line bike?
  14. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Fact, all my buddies laughed at my Polaris quad, 400 LC automatic belt snowmobile driven. My experience with the auto is no worry about shifting gears it's all done for you. I tweeted it with a heavier clutch spring and weights, added a pipe. Example we need to tweek it. The auto tranny gave me more time to pick lines. The quad was 50% of the time in the air. Comparing the mileage to other quads proved it. Ok it's a quad but the auto was awesome.

I think the husky auto was a great idea. There's a old husky dealer in Stratford,ct who was racing flat track with a husky 390 auto. I'm sure it was all tricked out. It's sad when these old timers pass on there goes the knowledge with them.
  15. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    The Honda 200cc trike has a auto clutch with a shift tranny. You let off the throttle to shift. Some of the Honda quads are the same way.

I only use the clutch when I'm stopped. I let off the gas to shift and give it gad to down shift. At some point wether up shifting or down shifting both gears before engagement are at the same rpm. I drive standard granny's in cars and trucks the same way. I get over 100k miles out of one clutch.