Honda ready to sell some 450 Dual Sports...

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by Johnrg, May 23, 2018.

1. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Sport Classic / Ducati Multi.
  2. NH-JP 2nd Fastest Old, Slow Guy!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2017 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    1988 Honda Hurricane,
    I agree.
    Honda fanatics will be happy, but falls short of the Euro bikes
    And I am curious why, for pricing, did they compare to the500?
    Trying to make the price comparisons close?
    They know Husky/ktm make 450cc bikes, right?
  3. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    I think day late and a dollar short may apply here. It needs to be less expensive than the Euro bikes by more like $1000 than $500. Let's see how it runs too. Likely to have pretty soft performance with a locked ECU.
  4. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    Don't look at this as an enduro, more of a high end dual sport. From what I've read the maintenance intervals are much better with something like a 20k valve check much like the wr250r/x
    Teambowles likes this.
  5. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    Big heavy pigs. Way too little(much haha), way too late. Honda with another epic fail
    Zomby woof likes this.
  6. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    I agree that this bike was built for die-hard Honda huggers. I don't think that Japan will ever try to seriously compete with the Euros.
  7. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    Agree with all of the above and will add that a 7.2 litre tank is not paying any homage to real Enduro bikes.
  8. Zomby woof Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 CR 150
    From the company that brought us the CRF250L. More expensive and less capable than the KLX250, a bike designed over 30 years ago.
  9. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    At least the new Africa Twin is a half way reasonable machine. Would be great at 10-15 kgs lighter.
  10. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    Quoting an anonymous source here, but honda says thank-you for the free(?) advertising on this ~EU motorcycle web site; Honda sold over 19 million motorcycles in yr 2018; That is ~19,500,000 motorcycles in the last yr alone that ended Mar 31. Even with numbers like that, who does not like a freebe?
  11. Teambowles Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    19 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    19 ktm 6 days excf 450 n excf 500
    Finally, I like to see more players in the game. Talked to my local Honda shop and hes ordering as many as he can says/thinks he will sell out quickly and will probably be asking for deposits depending on how many he can get his hands on. Price point should be 1-2k less than husky due to first year bike imo. He spoke to the rep who actually sat on one but didn't get a chance to ride it. He thinks when uncorked it will be a performer. Bet they sell a ton of them though. Remember you meet the nicest people on a Honda ha ha.
  12. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    Some of us still remember the late-great Coffee one; This was one of his last changes he made to the web site before he left; It's all putined out now. Some respect it, some don't; Some may not even understand? And the beat goes one....
    non_.jpg

--
    Yep "You meet the nicest people on a hondo" was one of the greatest sales slogans the usa has even had sprung on them; Right up there with "Don't be a liter bug"; Most of you are too young to remember this, but America really hated motorcycles before that slogan was spoken.
    268fords likes this.
  13. Teambowles Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    19 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    19 ktm 6 days excf 450 n excf 500
    From what I'm hearing I think it's meant to compete with the likes of the fe350 not the 500 class. Motor performance will be on the low side til it's uncorked then it will be way better. Still a de tuned 450 with nice suspension
  14. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    Ray, this is bike industry news and in the newsroom section. If you have an issue contact a mod. You can whine in a PM but you won't be a buzzkill for every member or potential member here.
  15. ptkatoomer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2020 ktm 300 xc-w, 2020 ktm 500exc
  16. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Cheers PTK the Jimmy lewis vid is credible in most cases. However, I cannot help but feel disapointed that the bike comes in at that weight and with only 7.2 litres of fuel. Note: it will need a few add ons such as proper bark busters, bash plate and at least a tail rack. However; I am sure it will we pretty well behaved on and off road and reliable as all get out.
    ptkatoomer likes this.
  17. edmoto Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 CR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLX400SR, XR250R, VOR503, GG XC300e
    I have read in several different places that the HP for the bike is at/around 24HP. Per the article referenced above by Jimmy Lewis, the ecu from Honda on the 450L is locked. Sure, enthusiasts will likely change out the exhaust, open up the airbox, put the X ecu in or a fuel programmer, etc. But then how much is all that, when a KTM 500 EXC is just a few hundred dollars more with 50+HP stock? [INSERT HERE: arguments about reliability, dealer support, service intervals and parts prices] However, if the 450L motivates other Japanese manufacturers to re-enter the dual sport market with new designs and choices, then the bike might not be the big news, but the shift in Japanese interest in making trail worthy, plateable dual sports might be the positive end result.

UPDATE:
    As of June 6, Honda has posted a response to many people asking what is the HP of the 450L. Apparently Europe gets a 25-ish HP bike (the number circulated the most), but the US will get a mid 40-ish HP bike.
  18. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Sport Classic / Ducati Multi.
    I agree. I think it's clear with KTM/Husky and Beta offering so many models, that there are buyers. The big 4 have let buyers roam and lost out. In other venues it's clear that KTM wants to buffalo into every avenue. Like entering into flatrack in a big way next year after sponsoring a couple of riders this year on both brands. All Polaris needs is for it's subsidiary Swissauto to design a small block so we have an American brand to buy. With Indian and the Wrecking Crew cleaning clocks as it did at the Red Mile today it's refreshing. A resurgence of sorts in motorsports. That said and to keep this relevant to the forum :rolleyes: , Shayna Texter won a 3rd place in the singles on her Husqvarna 450 in a nail biter, with first 3 swapping lead every half lap. In the end the Flying Tomato took it on his Yamaha.