1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Help with akront rims and original spokes

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by rob kelly, Dec 22, 2017.

1. rob kelly Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1972 wr250
    Hi,
    I've had a bit of disappointment regarding my 72 wr250 restoration and am looking for some help.
    I've just picked my wheels up from the wheel restorer and they are worse than when I took them in! The rims had no damage from stones etc as the bike has hardly been used and all spokes were good and original. Now the rims are badly pitted from acid dipping/ re anodizing and the rear has about 10 new spokes fitted.
    Apparently there was corrosion that couldn't been seen under the old anodizing and the spokes couldn't be saved.
    I bought the bike because it was so original, tires, brake shoes etc all original so wanted to keep it like that.
    As the rims are essentially scrap aesthetically does anyone know where i can get new old stock ones or good reproduction ones? Also the same with the spokes?
    Rob
  2. wrx Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1973 to 1986 husky's various models
    Other Motorcycles:
    RM -250 / Buell / Penton 400 mc5
    Buchanans in SoCal
    rob kelly likes this.
  3. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    When you send a set of rims out to get re anodized.

Always have them strip them first.

Then have them return them to you so you can sand and polish them to a mirror smooth shine.

Then return them to anodizer to anodize.

If not then you will see every nick, scratch, scrapes etc.... In the anodized finish.
    rob kelly and jack topper like this.
  4. rob kelly Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1972 wr250
    Thanks dartyppyt. They are so badly pitted that they're a lost cause. I think i've sourced some more spokes with the clover logo and i'm just going to get some reproduction akront rims as i haven't been able to find a decent set of old used ones. Cheers wrx, i've had a look through their website and its been helpful info.
    wrx likes this.
  5. wrx Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1973 to 1986 husky's various models
    Other Motorcycles:
    RM -250 / Buell / Penton 400 mc5
    no prob Rob !:thumbsup: