1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Help to verify what engine this is ('76 or '77 250CR) and exhaust

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by MotoInfo, Mar 16, 2020.

1. MotoInfo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE449 '87 430XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    Can-Ams, Yam TT600
    Picked up this nice '77 250CR. When checking the engine #2042-4293 against lists out there, it says it's a 1976 250CR engine, not a '77. The frame # is definitely a '77 (ML21243). But...this doesn't look like a 250CR engine (right case the major giveaway). So what's the deal?

And, see the exhaust pic, was this a common mod? Looks like a later year silencer grafted on in the body of the exhaust. My first '70's era Husky so don't know much about 'em.
    250 CR
    ML-6000 thru 15999
    250 CR
    ML-16000 thru 21999

View attachment 99975 View attachment 99976

Attached Files:

2. motomwo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many vintage big bore and automatics
    The pipe is a 77 250CR oem pipe. The motor appears to be a 76 or 77 looking at the cylinder and intake manifold and kick lever. The serial # is for sure 76. The 76 and 77 250CR motors were the same. You can just change the motor tag to the 77 250CR motor tag and it would be correct. If you are looking for it to be historical correct the carb should be a Bing, not Mikuni. Looks like it has some non oem shocks too.
    Hope this helps,
    Marty
    Steve-F likes this.
  3. MotoInfo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE449 '87 430XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    Can-Ams, Yam TT600
    Thx Marty. That's an odd looking exhaust for OEM. Figured that was a '76 motor, so guessing someone swapped it out along the way somewhere. Pics I saw of the '76 motor, the stator section looked to have a squarish cover and then was round starting in '77, that's what confused me.

Previous owner put on the Mikuni and Noleen shocks, will be racing it in AHRMA so leaving both on. Should be a fun ride. The only thing I didn't like was the clutch...hard as a rock! Lubed it and rerouted and it's much better but still much harder than all my '80's Huskys.
  4. motomwo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many vintage big bore and automatics
    You probably already know that you can lengthen the clutch actuating arm down on the case. Also make sure the free play with the cable off is set correctly for that arm. Someone may have installed some much stiffer clutch springs. No need to run any stiffer than needed. Also make sure you have the Magura factory clutch lever assembly on the bars. If it has an after market lever assembly they don't have the correct leverage ratio for the Huskys. All my Huskys clutches are a two finger pull. After you lubed and rerouted the cable, try not to zip tie it down real tight to the frame.

Should be a fun ride! I have the 78 250CR.
    DeathFromAbove and Steve-F like this.
  5. Bill502 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 WR167 1978 CR250 1938 sw maus
    Other Motorcycles:
    1970 Triumph T100C 1973 Honda TL125
    Does the motor have a single hole mount on the front,if so its 76. 78-79 motors have two hole mount on front of motor.
    Bill