1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Help! Swingarm question

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by BentAero, Oct 8, 2008.

1. BentAero Husqvarna
    A Class

'07 TE250. I took off all of the suspension linkage and the swingarm to do cleanup and greasing of the bearings that don't have grease fittings.

Upon reassembly, even after tightening the swingarm pivot way-stupid tight, the swingarm still has about a 1/16" of side-to-side movement. I didn't notice this before I took it apart, but i wasn't looking for it either.

I looked up the microfiche (thanks Halls!) and I'm not missing any parts, heck all I took out was the #53 'top hat' bushings and cleaned up the bearings the best i could while they were still installed in the swingarm.

I suspect that once I tighten up all the linkage and the shock, that it will no longer move back and forth, but it seems like an awful big gap right now. Seems like an easy avenue for water to run into the bearings. However, without the shock in place, the linkage yoke also moves in unison with the swingarm, so maybe it is supposed to have side-to-side movement to keep from binding up.

Does anyone KNOW if this is normal, or have I bound up the works somehow?

BTW, the swingarm pivots just fine and has no up or down movement (slop). i.e. nothing is worn out.
  2. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
  3. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Did you torque it to spec? I'm guessing the frame should move enough to tighten that gap.
  4. BentAero Husqvarna
    A Class

When I took it apart, it was VERY tight. Had to put my foot on a 1/2" drive breaker bar to get the nut loose. When I initially tightened it back up, I used the breaker bar, and then (gulp) put a 2' pipe on that for more leverage, thinking surely, this will bend the frame. No dice.

I loosened it all back up, and noticed that when you move the swingarm side-to-side, the large linkage arm (#4 on the fiche) also moves with it the same amount, soooo, maybe this is by design afterall...
  5. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    The linkage will have side to side play and be fine, the swing arm should not have any side to side play. Is there an insert or spacer on the engine side of the arm missing maybe?
  6. BentAero Husqvarna
    A Class

The only thing I took off was the foot-long bolt, it's nut and flat washer. Once that was off, pulled the swingarm rearward, and removed the top hat bushings (one each side) exposing the twin needle bearings on each side of the arm. I even put the bushings back in the same side they came out of...

This is an incredibly simple design w/ very few parts, which is why it seems so odd that it "doesn't look right".
  7. MattR 2T Forum Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WB165, SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ1
    On the topic of the swingarm axle...
    The SM/TE610 manual calls out 90 ft-lb of torque. Not sure on the other bikes. This seems like a lot of torque. For comparison, my GasGas only uses 60 ft-lbs.

What are you guys using for a torque spec? I only used 60 ft-lbs because any more felt like I would strip the threads. :excuseme:
  8. BentAero Husqvarna
    A Class

I took it back apart, and here's what I found out:

After pulling the swingarm away from the frame, I pulled the top hat bushings out of the s-arm itself and "installed" them w/o the swingarm. They fit perfectly. So what's happening is, when you tighten the swingarm bolt, it tightens up these top hat bushings (which are wider than the swingarm yokes) and these are your 'pinch points'. The swingarm assy is narrower than the bushings, so it is free to move left-right. There's no way you could ever tighten it up enough to take out the movement, as the bushing is considerably wider than the rest of the pieces. When everything is tightned up and ready to ride, the s-arm no longer moves.

I don't like it, but that's what it is.
  9. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

thanks for the follow-up report... nice to know