1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc Help Starting Trouble

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Clint Robinson, Nov 21, 2022.

1. Clint Robinson Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    None
    Hi guys I am having trouble kick starting wr250 2013, (the Italian made model) It backfires and kicks back and won’t start. I can run start it and it runs good but doesn’t like idling. It has a mikuni carbi and I have put a new kit in it to try and see if that will fix it but no joy! I have put electrical grease in any plug or spade I could find. When I take the spark plug out after kicking it it’s always wet, perhaps too wet and I have had the spark plug out when kicking it and it appears to be sparking fine. Any ideas would be much appreciated
  2. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Check every detail in your carb before moving on. Float level correct, pilot circuit jet AND passage ways cleared, all vent lines unobstructed, fuel needle valve seat and o ring not leaking, reed petals all in good shape without any warping or damage. You will probably find jetting specs in the jetting chat sub forum here. You didn't say what kind of jetting kit you installed, but you need to make sure that you have the correct sizes of everything, including the starter jet.
    Get a good NGK waterproof spark plug cap to install. Check all grounds related to ignition.
  3. Clint Robinson Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    None
    Thanks dirtdame for your help. I have cleaned out carb about 4 times including all passage ways and jets, I change float height a couple of time as I had fuel dripping out overflow pipe but that has now stopped. The carb kit I put in wasn’t a jetting kit just new gaskets, orings, fuel neddle and seat etc. I have inspected reeds and they look in good condition. The only ground I have checked are the ones attached to regulator are there any others?
    Thanks again.
  4. Hurky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR300 2010
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR480F 2008
    If it has compression and air+gas in a decent proportion the only part left is spark, maybe there is none/weak or at the wrong timing. Have you tried pushing it down a hill so you get a little more revolutions ? My WR300 was a bit** to start sometimes when the jetting was off and pushing it down a hill was way easier than wrecking my right leg kicking it :D
  5. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC
    the 2013 Mikuni has some pretty smaller vents for the pilot jet
    consider cleaning the carb with a sonic cleaner, like a jewelry cleaner only larger
  6. Clint Robinson Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    None
    Hey I found the problem eventually, it was the magnets in the flywheel had come loose and slid round a bit and put the timing out slightly. I’m having trouble finding a new flywheel anywhere! Does anyone know where I may find one? If not how can I set the timing ? Thanks guys and girls.
  7. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC
    get an owners manual or a service manual, they will have the instructions and timing settings
  8. Clint Robinson Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    None
    Thanks. 2premo I’ll try and track down a service manual
  9. sapphire Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 CR250