1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Help needed with '08 TE250 electric gremlin (or sumn)

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by BigShooter, Aug 23, 2016.

1. BigShooter Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te250
    Please bare with the long description
    Driving home from work this morning, my bike suddenly started to lose power and died. It was just bogging real bad and only running about 9mph before it quit. I had previously had "the fuel pump issue" where it died when decelerating, and then started right back up when stopped. However, this is completely different.
    I was running along at a steady 45mph when it happened, and it wouldn't start. Also, when it died, some "code" or some letter/number like pattern come up on the display. I checked the ODO to see how many miles I put on since fueling; but, everything had reset to zeros. When I turned off the key, and turned it back on, the fuel pump was making a rapid clicking sound instead off the the normal priming sound. And, when I hit the starter button, the starter wouldn't turn over, but the fuel pump would pause momentarily and begin again when I let off the button.
    When I get the bike home, I try starting it again, and it still did the same thing. I hooked some jumper cables up to the battery (without the car running),and when I turned on the key, the fuel pump came on and primed. I hit the starter button, and only got a single "click" sound from what I assume is the starter relay mounted to the left of the battery on the subframe. Each time I let back off the starter button, the fuel pump would prime up again, and then I'd get the single click again when I hit the button. So, I loosened and reconnected all the battery connections, the relay connections, the starter connection, and the ground down by the starter. Then, I let it set on the battery cables for a few minutes with the car running, and it cranked up. Of course, when I killed it, it was back to square one.
    Question is, could it be as simple as a weak battery? And, if so, why would it matter if the battery is weak if the bike is already running? Could I be so lucky that this is a common issue with an easy fix, or someone else has had this issue? Besides insuring good connections everywhere, what else should I look for
  2. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    it's not a weak battery- your bike is not charging, probably. start it up with a fully charged battery and while it's idling, measure the voltage across the terminals. you should see something like 14.2v... but I'm guessing you'll see something more like 12.5v

if this is true, I'd guess regulator or wiring problems. if not, get back to us with your measurements. let us know, either way.
    BigShooter, duggoey and juicypips like this.
  3. BigShooter Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te250
    Thanks! I'll check it out
  4. BigShooter Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te250
    Oh, I do know this: the battery was shot. It wouldn't take a charge enough for it to even be tested down at the parts store. I'm not ruling out the non-charging issue, and will check into that
  5. BigShooter Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te250
    Ok, checked the voltage across terminals while the bike was running. Reading a steady 14.56 volts. So, I guess it was just a shot batterty. At least it's working fine now, anyway
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.
  6. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    yeah... I wanted to keep it simple for you.

I figured a failing battery would give you warnings over time- your description seemed to indicate a new behavior.

Do the same voltage test with the new battery (fully charge it first). Hopefully it's just the battery (fingers X'd). I have said this a few times: bad regulators can take out a battery; bad batteries can take out a regulator.

keep us posted.
  7. BigShooter Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te250
    Thanks for all the great advice. If something new developes, I will update. So far, so good
  8. MFGamesta Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    S1000R, Beta 500 RR-S
    Would it kick?

I would think if died, it wouldn't kick either so it might be the stator not producing power?
  9. 268fords Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08' TE510'
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CRF 100, Kawasaki KLX 110
    The 08' bikes need at least 9.5volts or so, or they will not run. The computer will not work. Our injection is reliant on proper voltage. Downfall to the injection on these Husky's.
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.
  10. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    cool.

I have no idea how you got this to post in position #5 hours later. weird.

...wait: are you still on probation (..."waiting for moderator approval")?
  11. 268fords Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08' TE510'
    Other Motorcycles:
    No probation. I've been here since 2009, not long after this great site was introduced. I have no clue how that happened.
  12. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    of course! ...and you live "next door" to Coffee (ie, somewhere in the Napa Valley). I was talking about BigShooter, whose post showed at number 5 (mine was there before) at 4am this morning and had some good info in it.

later, I realized he's probably on probation; and an east coast mod (actually, I think they both are: Joe & ruwfo) was doing some quick post approvals around 7 local time.

but I gotta ask you: is 268 ford referring to those 4cyl. diesel engines used in boats and generators (about 80hp iirc)? btw, my friend's dad owned a pizza joint on the Silverado Trail in the late '60s-'70s called The Cantina... went by in the late '80s and it was something else.
  13. 268fords Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08' TE510'
    Other Motorcycles:
    That's so weird. I had an alert that showed you asked me that. Now it shows that it was for big shooter. What about the 4cyl diesels? Where was the pizza joint on Silverado trail?
  14. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    pizza joint: well, this is through 50 years of memory, but looking at google earth, I'd guess it was on Coombsville Rd at Silverado. My friend lived on Kansas (but it wasn't a thru-street back than) and we'd walk to his dad's place (Ed's Cantina maybe).

ford: I was asking about your cafe handle, and trying to remember if 268 Ford engines were the small marine powerplants.
  15. 268fords Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08' TE510'
    Other Motorcycles:
    There is a mechanic shop and a company that makes headstones for the cemetery at that intersection now. There is a really good Mexican food place 1 block over from that intersection that might have been where the pizza place was at. I've never heard of the 268 ford engines in boats. I'll look that up. My handle is from when I used to own 2 1968 fords. I had a 68' Torino and a 68' F100 4x4, but kids and dirt bikes(mainly dirt bikes) made me lose intrest in old cars. Dirt bikes are way more fun! I'm a gearhead at heart and the bikes are more satisfying working on, plus cheaper to play with. 2 gallons of gas goes a long way!
    juicypips likes this.
  16. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    Ah, but if one finds balance, one can enjoy both. I tow my bikes with my 70 Econoline. If I'm solo camping I use it instead of dragging the toy hauler out. Works great for the one day race turn n burn.
    Trenchcoat85 and juicypips like this.
  17. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    yeah, I'm thinking where the headstone/rock place is. ...but I'm not bettin' my life on it. it was definitely on that side of the ST, I just don't recall it being a 7-way intersection- but everything else matches.

bigShooter- sorry about derailing your thread... but I figger you solved your problem for now; and I know you got the same thread going on ThumperTalk.
    268fords likes this.
  18. 268fords Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08' TE510'
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sorry for the derail. :thumbsup:
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.
  19. BigShooter Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle: