HELP!! Found strange particles in filter screen

Discussion in '610/630' started by riz, Jan 26, 2019.

1. riz Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 SMR 630, 2012 WR 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Vespa S150, Honda XL200 Scrambler
    So I did an oil change today, new oil filter, and the usual filter screen clean...and I found red particles in the filter screen. This is the left hand side filter screen.
    P_20190126_121733.jpg
    Does anyone know what that is or where it came from? And is it a bad sign?
    I also found tiny hair-width metal shears in the screen. They're the tiny silver specs lodged in the screen as well.

All this to prepare for a trip and here I am losing confidence...dammit
  2. Spice Weasel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SM610
    Whats the red particles made from? are they plastic, hard or soft? do they melt or burn? could be sealant or locktite, i cant think of anything else that would be red inside the motor.
    How many miles has the motor done? are those pieces of metal magnetic? they could just be pieces of casting flash come loose.
    Anyways, the screens are doing their job :thumbsup:
  3. Scottishjim Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 husky 610 sm
    Other Motorcycles:
    Suzuki text 600 k2
    it maybe the same as the 610 ,glue from the flywheel magnets, the glue was orange on the 610,dont know about the 630 magnets,,can you see the flywheel and see if its red glue?,,ive upgraded my flywheel to a uk one,(all round magnet),, thanks jim
  4. Caboose Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CB 600 f
    It's definitely not the flywheel magnet glue. The 630 has a different flywheel. Could it be the paint from the valve cover? I scratched mine from the inside when I checked the valve cearances. And found similar red particles in the filter, but not this many.
  5. riz Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hi SW

It feels hard at first, but it can be broken apart with my fingernail. I really hope it's a sealant too. I can't notice any difference in sound/performance.

The odo is over 13000km.

Damn, I didn't check if the metals were magnetic or not.
  6. riz Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hi Jim. I've never had the cases split open so I can't tell :/
  7. riz Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hi Caboose

I've never had the valve cover opened before.
    I did put red sealant on the head vent hose cause it was leaking. But I did that when the bike's odo was under 1000km. So that's more than 12.000km ago. Could that be it??

I've browsed through topics on screen particles in this forum but no one reported a similar red particle. Man I really hope it's just the sealant.
  8. Spice Weasel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SM610
    At 13,000km someone must have had the valve cover off to check clearances
    It looks like all the pieces are stuck in the clutch side screen, which screens the scavenged oil from the crank case, so all the pieces are from the top end or crank case. What is red, not made of metal, comes from those ares & could match your description?
    It would have been a good clue if those metal pieces had stuck to a magnet or not, would have narrowed down their possible source
    You have 2 choices, ride it & check again when you feel appropriate or take the valve cover off to have a look.
  9. riz Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:

That's possible...I had the bike since new and never had the valve cover off myself. But my brother had the bike for a whole year last year and did say he had it serviced.
    Yea I regret cleaning it straight away after taking the pic. I even had a magnet laying around to clean the drain plug but it never crossed my mind :banghead:
    Thanks for the insight! a breath of relieve to be honest :cheers:
  10. mekanik Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Pretty sure that it is the coating off of the stator windings.....
  11. Spice Weasel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SM610
    how would anything from the stator windings get into the crank case screen?
  12. mekanik Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    When I was in changing my crank sensor all the small pieces I found identical to those shown were caught in screen. It has no where else to go. Silicone gasket maker wouldn’t be brittle like described.
  13. Spice Weasel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SM610
    Oil gets scavenged out the crank case sucked through the right side screen into the side casings/gearbox then sucked through the left side screen then pumped under pressure through the paper oil filter.
  14. Caboose Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CB 600 f
    The left hand side screen filter is connected straight to the alternator's space. So the oil from the alternator goes straight to the left hand side screen. I found this out when I covered the CPS wires with non-oil resistant heat shrink (yeah I was that dumb) and all of the gunk ended in the left side screen filter fortunately.
    Edit: Not the best picture, but you can sort of see the hole leading to the left screen filter.

Attached Files:

15. Eoin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630, TE250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Africa Twin AS
    I've just done the left hand side screen and found 2 tiny pieces like the red ones above. It was pretty clean really, only a few bits in it and only a bit of magnetic fur on the drain plug, no solid particles. Right hand screen and filter still to do.