Have you ever run out of fuel? (TR650 question)

Discussion in 'TR650' started by Coffee, Apr 21, 2013.

?

Have you ever run out of fuel? (TR650 question)

Yes 11 vote(s) 16.4%
No 56 vote(s) 83.6%
  1. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR250R, GoldWing, Africa Twin
    There is just nothing to it! I used the Wolfman Rotopax mounts which look a little like an hour glass. They go on the old Wolfman racks with electrical cable clamps at each of four corners. For the Altrider bars, I just used three of the clamps, and they are plenty stable. Went on in just a few minutes. I will get pics tomorrow and edit this post to show what they look like without the cans. I did go ahead and mound a water can on the left.

[IMG]
    Thumpa likes this.
  2. ozav8r Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R1150GS, BMWK1200RS
    That's great Kenneth, look forward to seeing some pictures of how you did it! I saw the "Pawnee" plate on the Wolfman Luggage website, and even though they look great, I thought perhaps I could make something up at a price more suitable to my "toy-budget".
  3. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Easy to do. The plate is 1/8", maybe 3/16", aluminum, pretty stiff so maybe 6061 T6. Drill your own holes, clamps from the hardware store, and buy the Rotopax mounting lug and cans. I just used what I had on hand.
  4. FER QUILES Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLE500, HONDA NX650
    Fantastic places.. kenneth.. congratulations.. great idea..
  5. ozav8r Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R1150GS, BMWK1200RS
    That looks really good! I'll shamelessly copy that -Rotopax order incoming! Thanks for sharing that idea!
  6. mrwal3 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    BWM S1000rr
    Hi Highfive,

Setting up one of these TR650 Terra's here in Perth, Western Australia. I'm planning on crossing the Great Dandy Desert central Australia on one. What caught my eye was your pannier mounts on the side there that you've got the Rotopax tanks on. They look sturdy, can you tell me what brand/model they are, so I can order some? Don't like the mounts I've currently found.

Cheers mate.
    Mark.

7. Highfive Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Husaberg FE390, BMW F800GS
    Wolfman
    Wolfman Rotopax Mount......same thing used by Kenneth posted earlier.

HF
  8. mrwal3 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    BWM S1000rr
    Thanks mate. Pre ordered a 2014 terra, but wont get to Aus till November :|
  9. Thumpa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    CCM Dakar, G650X
    these look great! I'm wandering how they faired during your trip. Be good to get some feedback, handling, drag on hwy/aerodymanics etc. Having not seen the Alt Rider bars, i'm wandering how well they would hold up in a firm dismount. Are these braced across the front? For that matter would it be possible to get a front profile shot? Thanks for posting this
  10. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    I think they worked great on the trip and I will mount them this way again should plans make the extra capacity necessary. As to drag, I am sure they increase wind resistance at high speed, as on the highway, the same way my BMW GSA suffers a bit compared to a standard GS. At 60 and below, especially if doing some low speed trail work, negligible effect. I did take one spill, on a very muddy, slick red clay Notam Road. It was low speed and the K60 rear decided it wanted to be up front. I fell over like a log onto the left side and the weight went directly onto the bar and Rotopax. No problem at all. With a higher speed spill I think the Rotopax would survive better than much of the bike. I think the weight distribution was pretty good, but of course any way you can go lighter is better. If you need to pack extra fuel and water with full bags and a duffel, the bar mount works! When I returned home the mounts came off in 5 minutes; just 6 small fasteners to deal with that are readily accessible.
  11. Thumpa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    CCM Dakar, G650X
    sounds encouraging for the better part. Nice to have an alternative to weight distribution and excessively wide rear load. I like the pax at the back. But not coupled up with the soft bags. Great alternative for long hauls!
  12. Engenia Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Benelli Tornado Novocentro Tre
    I put 14.82 litres into the Terra the other day, that's 3.91 US Gallons, and it hadn't run out.
    I guess I'll have to drain it to find out exactly how much it's got.
  13. FER QUILES Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLE500, HONDA NX650
    My last report with one tank, almost 378 km . using mainly tarmac between 85km/h 80% and 20% up to 120km/h.
    I wonder with big tanks 32 liters.
  14. 27rich Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 510, TR 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 990
    I just put the safari thanks on and completely drained the main. Filling it up again to the top of the red filler neck took exactly 15 ltrs.
    ozav8r, Engenia and nev.. like this.
  15. FER QUILES Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLE500, HONDA NX650
    Terra is now 22.500km and testing mileage with stock tank, as 14liters . last reading 366km 14liters in display.

WHAT your measurement means stock tank has 15 liters full.??
  16. drzcharlie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Fayetteville, Arkansas with my Redheaded Mistress
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Burgman 650 (The Barcolounger)
    On my recent trip (1900 miles) I averaged 52.4 miles per gallon so range isn't an overall problem for me. I do have a RotoPax if I need it for more remote riding.
  17. danketchpel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Moto Guzzi, Ducati, Beta
    What size Rotopax do you have?

I have a 1 gallon rotopax and am trying to decide it that's enough. I'd like to have a comfortable 200 mile range with some reserve left, at least another 25-30 miles if I had to max it out.

The extra gallon puts me real close to that depending on riding conditions, but...... "just". I must say sometimes I kinda miss the 6 gallon tank on my KLR.