Has anyone used ibeat on a SWM RS500?

Discussion in 'Husqvarna Cousins - Cagiva, etc' started by ray gamache, May 16, 2021.

1. ray gamache Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SWM rs500
    Other Motorcycles:
    2019 GasGas XC300
    I purchased an ibeat system but have not hooked it up. Before I do I wanted to see if anyone had success with interfacing. From what I have read this is the same Mikuni FI used on the 510. I am not certain how the interface through the ECU has changed between the two bikes and whether I can change the mapping.

Thank you in advance
  2. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    I Beat will not work. The SWM uses an Athena ECU. There is software by Athena called GET. I was actually the first person in the US to remap these for CARB testing. The test mules came with Euro5 maps which cut the RPM at 5500 to reduce horsepower. It was fairly easy to use but most of the options to really fine tune or richen them up were not accessible. This was obviously a few years back and once I showed the US distributor the basics to work with the software I never messed with it again.
  3. Appalachian Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    SWM RS500R, XR650R,WR426
    I’m waiting for a certain dealer to get me a dongle and the software, Maya is the software to communicate with Athena ECU. Look up Athena GET and you can see the software on their site for sale. I have a free version but doubt it’s gonna do anything but “look”. I will update you if I learn anything soon, still waiting for the dealer to get back with eta on the connection dongle.

I have a race map on mine with the arrow exhaust but it’s mostly too rich. I am wanting to go back to stock map and add fuel to get it right, using autotune to assist/watch fueling. I will let you know what I find out ray. What I am seeing so far the maps are erratic in their fueling so I’m assuming you are in the same spot I am, I want to work on the ECU map and then use piggyback to fine tune. I have figured out the hesitation issue but again I don’t have the stock map so my cure will surely be different than on stock map.
  4. ray gamache Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SWM rs500
    Other Motorcycles:
    2019 GasGas XC300
    Appalachian, Huskynoobee
    Thank you. Right now I purchased a JD 6x kit and sent the rs500r to a bike shop with a Dyno. Here they adjusted the fuel using the 6x box based on the 13% rule. The person performing the work told me that for lower RPM the map had to be maxed out for richening the fuel and on the top I believe it did not require as drastic changes. The bike is much better but I would like to dig deeper with the software. My next step is to perform the O2 delete.
    Appalachian likes this.
  5. Appalachian Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    SWM RS500R, XR650R,WR426
    I have one of the delete kits for the 2010 TE510 sitting at the house unopened, I was hoping to get the software first so I can see the changes it makes. I think our problem is the new marriage/resurrection of mechanical and electronic items then trying to make it meet euro and epa regs.

im running the pc5 with autotune, I’m not maxed out but had to pull a lot of fuel in the middle. Just this weekend I was playing with the map while it idled. It has the smoothest idle with best response at 1800-1900 running AFR of 12.2. The ECU map with no adjustments from pc5 runs an AFR 13.5-14.2 but idles erratic and will flame out badly. I watched the AFR and just like turning carb screws the idle would drop and engine would “roughen” up noticeably with only a.5 up or down on AFR setting. Next I need to check TPS settings with Maya, I want to try to get idle down to 1700 with good response and build from there. Doubt it’s possible since the ‘10 husky’s didn’t like idling that low either, probably a intake velocity or harmonic issue with engine design. I think the rush to meet DOT and EPA killed the mapping, I’ll play with the map I have and the stock map once I get the dongle and software, also have access to a euro map that I want to try just to see.

FYI I got my Arrow exhaust direct from Italy for about $650 ,that price is with shipping, lot of mark up going on over here.
  6. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    Thanks Appalachian for setting me straight. I knew it wasn't GET when I wrote the post but couldn't remember what it's called. Now I can see the little icon for the Maya software in my memory. They made it look like a Mayan pyramid.
  7. Appalachian Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    SWM RS500R, XR650R,WR426
    No worries, glad you are donating what experience you have with the bikes. SWM is so far behind on what they need to do to be successful here in the states that it’s going to take people sharing knowledge. I mean come on Italy, give us a repair manual and donate a bike to be dynoed and post up the results in a magazine. People don’t believe just how powerful this engine is and how good the chassis steers. Get the bugs out and this bike is a winner for most people.
    GrooveThang likes this.
  8. ray gamache Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SWM rs500
    Other Motorcycles:
    2019 GasGas XC300
    Appalachian,
    I had my bike dyno'd when the JD 6x was being setup, the person doing the test said that it was around 49 HP which was similar to the Japanese bikes. He said it could have been more but unknown as I was running a rekluse and had knobby tires which enables some slippage on the dyno rollers. If wanted I can share the values that were programmed in the JD 6x if you could use these values.
  9. Appalachian Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    SWM RS500R, XR650R,WR426
    I’m still waiting for the software and factory cable to connect to ecu. I have downloaded the standard Maya software and made a cable just to read ecu. I can see the map name and was able to adjust the tps but cannot “see” the map. The software and cable shipped to my supplier week before last and he is to ship to me. I’m not sure if he is getting it stateside or from Italy.

I can say for 100% that the flameout issue is from too lean on the idle side. I have played with the butterfly adjustment like people did with the husky’s. My flameout decreased with pc5 and with the throttle plate movements but never disappeared. Setting fueling to 12-12.5 at idle took it completely away. You can blip my throttle like a hooligan and no effect.

Once I can work with the factory maps I’ll start a new thread with my findings but so far it’s looking promising and the lowly SWM has a fighting chance at proper throttle response
    ray gamache likes this.