Green eggs and Green Husky? My Husky Project.

Discussion in 'Super Moto' started by B-Turbo, Oct 19, 2014.

1. B-Turbo Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 510
    Other Motorcycles:
    some Honda bikes
    So I had an issue with my Husqvarna last fall just before we went into winter. I found the problem was my rear sprocket was down to nothing. So I thought to myself.....well thank god the riding season is over and I can fix it whenever.

It got me thinking....... I wanna change my bike. Now mind you everything I own is completely different then when I first got it. lol :D . Nothing I own is stock in some way, shape, or form. Knowing that I had to remove the rear tire and change the sprocket out, (and the chain I assumed) I got the brilliant idea to reinvent my Husqvarna into something that is well....me. :banana:

I decided to paint my bike. I am still working on a lot of the details and I had many issues when doing this. I have never and I say NEVER used a spray gun before.....I have always rattle can everything else. I bought some Husky spray guns ( not Husqvarna brand lol). Thought it was funny to buy this set.....plus it was cheap for $80, I got 2 guns: 1 HVLP and 1 Conventional. Both gravity fed.

So using a 5gal compressor and an awesome homemade paint booth, using cardboard and cheap dollar store plastic drop clothes, (in my moms basement! haha :lol:) I began my adventure into painting.
    IMG_20140422_135816_615.jpg IMG_20140731_201608_597.jpg

I began with the strip down of everything of course:

IMG_20140406_172141_569.jpg IMG_20140406_174946_166.jpg

AAAAAAAAAAAAAand I didn't know I could only post 4 pix lol....... on to the next post...
    Motosportz likes this.
  2. B-Turbo Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 510
    Other Motorcycles:
    some Honda bikes
    Then came the sanding and prep work:

IMG_20140419_175326_039.jpg IMG_20140419_175401_314.jpg IMG_20140422_155448_485.jpg
  3. B-Turbo Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 510
    Other Motorcycles:
    some Honda bikes
    Im trying to post more pix and continue on but its not working for some reason. I will be back when I can with more. I have my project to the point I wanted it at but I still have some work to go before I get it how I want it completely.

Its different I can tell u that !!!
  4. Mik-3 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husvarna SM510R 2010
    Nice.
    Let see what is coming :)
  5. Super5onic88 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 449
    Other Motorcycles:
    RGV 250
    Use photobucket to attach your images mate. Come up heaps better.
  6. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    If that oil furnace (if thats what it is) has a pilot light turn it off. You dont want to paint anything where there is open flame.
    B-Turbo likes this.
  7. B-Turbo Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 510
    Other Motorcycles:
    some Honda bikes
    lol all was good. ive already covered it and painted. Nothing happened. I made sure to really cover everything up as to not cause too much of a mess :rolleyes:

Even photobucket is uploading terrible :( . I got a couple more coming. I really wanna try and get more loaded up before I post them.
  8. Super5onic88 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 449
    Other Motorcycles:
    RGV 250
    Are you entering them with the img tags? Check my thread The Husk pics come up sweet. Get them sorted bud I wanna see this bike :)
  9. B-Turbo Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 510
    Other Motorcycles:
    some Honda bikes
    Alberto likes this.
  10. B-Turbo Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 510
    Other Motorcycles:
    some Honda bikes
    Ok I got them uploaded ! :D :thumbsup:

http://s209.photobucket.com/user/Bdaturboteg/library/Husqvarna

The paint is from www.paintforcars.com. I blended 2 colors to get the color I somewhat wanted haha. Not quite but I like how it turned out.

The primer and black pieces I just used spray cans. I didn't have enough money to spend on all the paints being the other paint I bought. I bought the Vibrant Green and Sunshine Yellow, Acrylic Urethane Single Stage kits. Mixed them 1:1.

The chain I bought in the color it was. I wasn't too concerned about it being a different shade because I wasn't trying to make this the "perfect" paint job. And also all my riding gear is different shades of green. (mostly the Safety Green color)
    So all the trim work I did....didn't work out so well lol...... it doesn't look so bad in the pix but the damn painting tape came up before and as I was painting. So I got a bunch of touching up to do on the white trim work.

Now I screwed up the paint because I didn't have the gun set right while painting... :cry: but it was my first time so I have learned lol. I didn't have the air regulator open enough and wasn't controlling the air flow with the gun. So in turn I wasn't spraying with enough pressure the whole time. I figured it out towards the end once I painted most of the plastics. The tail piece was my practice piece as you don't see most the paint job under the seat. I messed it up bad at first and got crazy runs......:thumbsdown: . So I sanded it down and fixed it the best I could. It ended up being the better piece because I had the air flow settings right on the gun.

So all other pieces look like they have a "textured" paint job.... lol :doh: . Its ok ... it honestly gives it another look in itself .

I didn't use any clear on any of the pieces yet. I wasn't sure if I was gonna stick wit this paint job or not. I like the look and the flow of how everything is ....so next is to clean it up and fix stuff... then clear it.

All the lettering I did by printing out the font and size, then finding the placements, and finally laying out the paper on the painting tape and cutting out the letters. MY GOD did that take some time lol ..... but it was worth it. I did all of it myself by hand and just by judging the placement on each side.
    oldbikedude and Theo like this.
  11. oldbikedude Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1988 wr 430 with cr suspension
    Other Motorcycles:
    66flh,67 CA77,76 CR125M,73H1,74ty250
    Looks nice, I can see how much work you put in it.
    B-Turbo likes this.
  12. B-Turbo Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 510
    Other Motorcycles:
    some Honda bikes
    Also the paint turned out way different then I thought. As u can see in the pix..... the paint actually changes in different lighting. I really didn't expect it to be so drastic. I figured one color or another would show but not quite like how it does. Its gonna make for some awesome pix when I get them done..... All these photos are just done with my phone. I am gonna set up a shoot sometime.

Idk aboot this year though... :( winter is coming and in NY I don't think its gonna be a quiet snowfall this year lol.
  13. Super5onic88 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 449
    Other Motorcycles:
    RGV 250
    Wow it looks awesome! I like it a lot!
    B-Turbo likes this.
  14. B-Turbo Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 510
    Other Motorcycles:
    some Honda bikes
    Thanks guys!!! :applause: I wish I was able to take more time and do it a little better. I had a great time doing this and I learned a bunch.

So now onto the bad news lol.......... :( (no I didn't crash it lol)

I took it out for a ride. Noticed some little noises. Nothing I was gonna expect. Usual stuff. I wanted to take it to work to show my co-workers and this is where it went bad. I got to work which is an hour drive from home. I worked all day and went to leave......I noticed the swing arm and tire had moisture on it. I figured I hit a puddle earlier in the day and it just didn't go away. .... I was wrong.

The C-clip holding the front sprocket on was missing!! :banghead: The only piece holding the sprocket on was the little black chain guard piece..... Im not sure where or when it fell off but I had lost all my oil in the mean time. So I got a C-clip and made sure it was on the way it should be, and I got oil back in it. Everything seemed fine on the ride home. I didn't notice anything.... even stopped at a bike shop and they didn't see/hear anything at that moment. They told me to clean it all off and check everything to make sure it doesn't leak anymore. I wiped it all up and went on my way. Now is where the suck part happens......

I rode it the rest of the way home and it was making some noise...... Not sure why it just decided to for no reason. The C-clip was still there but I did notice some more saturation of oil around the sprocket. The noises were from the left side while on throttle and what seemed to me was under the valve cover. Once I was off throttle all the noise was gone. It was only under load.... and I also had , only once, some loud ass back fire which this bike has never done. The last time I checked the valves was last year before I put it away for winter. I didn't ride it until this past weekend.

So couple of questions.

1. Im guessing I gotta check my valves for sure... but anything I should really look out for?

2. The one noise sounded like a tinging noise , like metal pinging off of metal or the road, but nothing was dragging or swinging around.... any idea??

3. Since the CS was floating on the shaft and only being held on by the chain guard ..... what could have happened there? like I said.... I had no oil when I went to leave work after it sat all day but I also didn't see a whole lot of oil on the ground which made me think I lost most on the ride to work..... :eek:

Thanks again guys,

B
  15. Super5onic88 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 449
    Other Motorcycles:
    RGV 250
    From the sounds of that mate you may have damaged your output shaft bearing and seal because the sprocket was loose causing un-even load on the shaft.
    You would be loosing oil as you're moving but at rest oil may not be that high up to leak.
  16. B-Turbo Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 510
    Other Motorcycles:
    some Honda bikes
    That's what I thought. I figured it might have some seal or something and it tore or broke somehow. :-( at least its towards the end of riding season again lol. Gives me a chance to get it cleaned up and fix this.
  17. B-Turbo Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 510
    Other Motorcycles:
    some Honda bikes
    Hey everyone I'm back @ it again. Trying to get my bike ready for this season. Now my issue last year still stands but I'm confused. As said above the C clip holding the front sprocket had come off during a ride. I lost all my oil. I got it home later that day but didn't notice any more oil leaking.

I just took apart my front sprocket and was spinning the shaft and bearing. I can't notice any damage....... could it not have damaged it?

What should I look for? I just don't see anything noticable....
  18. B-Turbo Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 510
    Other Motorcycles:
    some Honda bikes
  19. oldbikedude Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1988 wr 430 with cr suspension
    Other Motorcycles:
    66flh,67 CA77,76 CR125M,73H1,74ty250
    I would think as long as the sprocket is still tight on the shaft & the snap ring groove is sharp enough to hold the snap ring in place it should be fine unless you smoked & damaged the bearing.
  20. B-Turbo Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 510
    Other Motorcycles:
    some Honda bikes
    it doesn't seem like anything has been damaged. I am just being really precautious because I don't want anything to go bad. I find it hard to believe that I lost all my oil and didn't have anything go wrong or break. maybe I got lucky :cool: