1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Granny gear or overdrive gear for 449/511. Brainstorm thread

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Bryce, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Bryce Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda ST1300
    I have been thinking about my much too close transmission on my 511 and had a possible idea. I do not really know much about how these transmissions work, so could be way off base with this. It sounds like Tinken's switch to the g450 wr transmission worked, but was very expensive. Would it be possible to have a reputable machine shop make a different sized gear/gears for just one of ours that we could change out? Either a granny first or a much taller sixth for highway? IMO, this would be way cheaper if we could do a group buy before production begins so the shop knows that they have guaranteed sales before they begin. I would be willing to pay quite a bit for something like this. I just have no idea what goes into the design and production of something like this or if it's even possible. Also, if this is possible, how difficult would it be to change out one set of gears out of the 6 sets?
  2. Mike-AK Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 310
    Outside of the full swap, I think with a close ratio gear box you are stuck with either too high on the bottom or too low on the top. On my 310, I choose too low on top to keep the bike useful on the trails.
    Radar likes this.
  3. Radar Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE449
    Tinken and I have had this brain storming session. The best least expensive fix we came up with is the BMW G450 gear set. I hope someone can come up with a better solution. I may do a $1000. gear swap as part of an engine overhaul but for now I am not willing to spend that much.

The G450 gearbox is only a 5 speed but first is lower and fifth is higher that the TE449/511 6 speed.

For now I just cruse at 55 MPH on pavement and avoid it when I can.
  4. danny318 ___________

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    TTR230, '72 CT90
    I don't see why a custom gear set for first and or 6th couldn't be made.
  5. Radar Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE449
    A custom gear set can be made but first gear includes the primary shaft and that makes a very expensive gear set. I think it would be best to go with the BMW gears. Known quality and they function.
  6. danny318 ___________

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    TTR230, '72 CT90
    How about just an overdrive 6th gear set, easier?
    Motosportz likes this.
  7. Radar Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE449
    Yes, easier. But the installation labor cost is the same for one gear or 5.
  8. Mike-AK Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 310
    I think if someone offered a 75% overdrive for the TE310 I'd buy it. I kinda like the close ratio for 1-3, but it would be nice to have wide ratio 4-6. My old OR had 1,2,3 from the CR gear box, and 4,5 from the WR gear box. That's what OR stands for "optimum ratio."
  9. jerbear610 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    14' WR300, 11' TE511, 06'TE610 sold
    Other Motorcycles:
    11' Husaberg FE570, 15' Beta 300RR
    The transmission on the 449/511 makes no sense for a "Dualsport" bike. I realize it's just a plated dirtbike and mine rarely gets on slab but when I do it's
    usually on a mountain highway where I can stretch it's legs. First gear is too tall for really tight single track and the rest of them are too close. Makes no
    sense. I'd be happy with a tall 6th if it could be done for a reasonable cost. I've just accepted it and avoid freeways.
    Motosportz likes this.
  10. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
  11. Bryce Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda ST1300
    Ok, maybe I was misunderstood here. I have already been through the overdrive thread and I know that the BMW gears will not fit on the TE 6 speed shaft, so you switched the entire transmission out with a g450 5 speed with the parts totaling around $1000 PLUS installation costs... What I want to know is if NEW gears can be manufactured to fit on our TE 6 speed transmissions to give us a taller 6th or a lower 1st. I have no idea if this is possible, but if husky and bmw and every other motorcycle manufacturer out there can manufacture this stuff, it must be doable. This is really a shout out to anyone that knows people in the metal/machinist industry that is capable of making these gears for us. I would be willing to pay pretty well for a set of gears. I have no idea how much r&d would cost, but if we can get enough interest on here I think it would be worth the company that produces the gears's time and effort.
  12. Bryce Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda ST1300
    For an example, could 2 new gears of 21/27 be made to replace the TE's stock 22/24 6th gears to give a ratio of 0.78:1 instead of 0.92:1. That might be too much of a change, but is just an example. Hopefully everyone understands what I mean now.
  13. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    It would need to be a lot bigger than that. I will look to see if second gear set could be flipped to give you the final output of 16/30
  14. Radar Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE449

I did understand. What I failed to do was adequately explain that it would probably be cheaper to get the BMW gear set. I hope that I am wrong.
  15. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    It would be about the same price. The only thing you would be gaining is six speeds versus five. I chose the five because they were thicker, stronger, bigger bearings, floated oil better and they shift easier. BMW engineers are fantastic and they built a transmission that functioned properly.
    Radar likes this.
  16. Bryce Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda ST1300

I hadn't thought of that. So we could possibly move gears around on our 6 speed transmissions to give us the desired ratios? Then we wouldn't need any parts, that would be great!
  17. danny318 ___________

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    TTR230, '72 CT90
    Why would it need to be a lot bigger than that ?
  18. Big Timmy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE 501 with lots of goodies.
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW G450X, 15'FE501, 23 KTM 1290 SAR
    This was sent to me recently from an associate from another motorcycling forum. The message is what follows. The guys are trying to get more orders together to get the price down a bit. He sent this to me because I have 2 engines, 1 of my engines has the BMW Wide Ratio trans. and the other has the TC449 Close Ratio trans. The information below is what was sent to me. this may be your answer to your gear selection problem. The 6 spd. gearset version price is ridiculous.

I have checked out the Website myself and they seem to make quite a selection of power transmission products, including gear sets for larger BMWs. Check it out!

Nova Racing Transmissions Ltd. in the UK is building a wide ratio gear set for the G450X. The gear ratios are: 1st 13 - 33 2.538:1, 2nd 17 - 27 1.588:1, 3rd 20 - 22 1.100:1, 4th 19 - 23 0.826:1, 5th 18 - 26 0.692:1. The gears will use the original shafts. The first sets are scheduled to be manufactured in February, 2014. They can be contacted at www.novaracing.co.uk.

I have two of the G450's. And I am buying three sets of gears at ~$1600 each. You will have to check with Nova for exact price. I took them one of my cases and transmission so that they could reverse engineer the gears and make sure that they would fit.

The first one I will put together with a 14 tooth countershaft and see how it feels. I do dual sport riding in Southern Cal, so I want a rock crawling first and still be able to run at 65-70 mph on the highway with out redlining the engine.

These gears may fit in the TC449 cases based on the fact that the gaskets are the same for both engines.

I did check on a six speed for this engine. According to Nova it is possible, but the cost would be ~$10000.
  19. danny318 ___________

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    TTR230, '72 CT90
    I'd be willing to pay quite a lot for a replacement first and 6th gear set. Seems like if we could just find the right company we could get some made
  20. New511Guy Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE511
    (Tinken) "I will look to see if second gear set could be flipped to give you the final output of 16/30"

If that would work, how bout this. Remove 2nd gear, flip it, and put it at the end (new 6th) push the rest of the gears down the shaft. Now from 1st to 2nd would be like the old 1st to 3rd, which, would actually be fine. Gear the bike down and "BOOYAH !"... wide ratio 6 speed (except 3rd, 4th and 5th).

This from someone who has never split a case and has basically no idea what he's talking about.
    Motosportz, Bryce and danny318 like this.