GPR Stabilizer

Discussion in 'TR650' started by Baddrapp, Jan 6, 2014.

1. run-it Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    '04 Guzzi V11
    "Baddrapp, post: 387774, member: 17759"
    My Guzzi has an OEM stabilizer & it SUCKS for low speed maneuvering - parking lots, lane splitting & the like. I know a lot of people :love: LOVE:love: them though.

I know I'm just not getting it, what is it that everyone hopes to gain by adding one of these? :excuseme::)
    Ryguy likes this.
  2. run-it Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    '04 Guzzi V11
    I wouldn't be surprised if you get a better price ordering through a GPR dealer - GPR will only sell at MSRP to avoid undercutting their partners.
  3. tork Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    This is a nice kit. On in under 45 min. Adds 3/4" rise for the bars. IMG_20140217_160951_991.jpg IMG_20140217_114014_556.jpg
    snail_72 and Biff Malibu like this.
  4. Ryguy Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    650 terra
    ok so is anybody going to do a ride report? it looks cool and all but does it do anything?
  5. msmith345 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '12 WR250, '92 360, '80 390
    Other Motorcycles:
    '72 Yamaha R5, '17 SV650

I can't say directly for this application, but they are nice in rougher off road conditions. I ran one on the ol' twitchy KTM 200 I had and it was great. I don't run a stabilizer at all on my WR300, and I don't really miss it. The TR isn't a twitchy thing, and it's not something I'd ever ride aggressively through rock gardens or the like, so I don't plan on getting one for the TR. But for long rides, it will absorb some of the chop, band aid other suspension short comings, prevent some fatigue, and eventually it will save you from a crash when you let your guard up in roots and rocks.

There would be times when it'd be real nice to have, but after using one for a few years then not, I think of them as just something that's nice, but it wouldn't be the top of my list. The GPR unit would be on the top of my list for a stabilizer though, I had great service from them when I trashed my V4.
    run-it likes this.
  6. tork Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Tried it out yesterday. Still no rough off road but a lot of gravel back roads with lots of twisty's.

I recently installed the D908RR tires and as Faboneup said the front is a little shaky. The stablizer smothed out a lot of the shake at speed and sucked some of the great potholes we have here in WV.
  7. Baddrapp Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    I just got back from doing a little loop. The roads in the desert are terrible. Where I was getting headshake at about 65 to 70 in the ruff stuff, is gone. No more headshake. I notice on roads that have a giant seam in the lane or overlap. My front end just glide over the seams, but the back got a little wiggle. I do not mind the back waggin around. Now I find myself going faster through the rough spots. I will try it off road this week. I have not been on a bike for about 15 years so things have changed quite a bit. I am really liking this bike. It was the best decision to get this Husky. The only way I can explain the way it feels is it is like have power steering on a car. It doesn't reduce the steering effort but it reduces the feed back from the bars and makes the front more stable. I have messed around with the setting in heavy gravel and on the road. So far on the road and heavy gravel I have it on 4 and off road on 2. I hope this helps.
    mag00 and mario33 like this.
  8. mario33 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra'13 - Lady in Red 2
    Other Motorcycles:
    none
    Anybody got the fatbar version (fitting 1 1/8 bar) ? Dropped an email to GPR but they're not answering...
  9. Thumpa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    CCM Dakar, G650X
    how is the stand over height ? Depending what degree of bend you have with your bars and your actual body height. Does this place you in comfortable standing height?
  10. JoeH Husqvarna
    AA Class

For the folks who have installed this stabilizer -- I'm running ROX risers with a HDB top clamp (so i'm dealing with a fixed width for my top bar clamp.) Does this kit change the width of the stock bar mounts any? If so, is it narrower or wider?

Thanks!

Joe
  11. tork Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    It will replace the lower bar mounts with one bar mount. I think it does change width and height.
  12. JoeH Husqvarna
    AA Class

Ok -- that's a bummer, but I really appreciate the info. Sounds like it's probably worth it anyway, as my Strada has some pretty scary headshake at speed...

Has the stabilizer smoothed out the head shake for you guys?
  13. tork Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Yes, well mostly. It really does tame the shake, and its a dream on rutted off road.
  14. mario33 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    none
    Tork, which Renthal 7/8 model is that ? I was aiming at RC (CRF bend - 971-08)
  15. tork Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    I'm not sure what bend they are. I got them from an inmate over on ADV, they were new but not in the package. I know they are about an inch wider than stock and about 3/4" taller. Sorry for delayed response, was at a rally with now phone service for days.(yes it was great!)
  16. Glengemen Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha Raider 1900
    I just finally installed my GPR. One of the best modifications to this bike that I've done. I would get shake right at 80 if I sat normally. I would occasionally get it other times, but I feel now that it was my fault with the grip of steel. I could also cancel out the shake if I sat on the rear seat, felt a little goofy but it worked.
    Rode with the stabilizer and the shake is pretty well gone. I can hold it inthe 80mph range all day. Also I am much faster on the dirt than I was prior.
    I spend quite a bit of time at speed, so this was a welcome addition on the TR.
  17. vodka Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra ABS
    Other Motorcycles:
    R1200R , Yamy WR250R
    Anyone else added this to their Terra? Positive reports above noted
    To Oz total cost is about $750 USD incl postage!...an expensive farkle! Just trying to make sure its worth it before I buy.
    Sometimes I wish I was wealthy and lived in the US...sigh.
    snail_72 likes this.
  18. Peter Dawson Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Suzuki RM250T
    I am also looking for a deal on the GPR here in Oz. Let me know if you find a better price please vodka and I will do the same.

Also looking for a power comander and a recomended installer and tuner. Somewhere close to Taree (Mid North Coast of NSW) would be good or maybe Brisbane if its worth the drive.
  19. mario33 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    none
    Good stuff ! I'm using this for some time and I can only recommend it. No more weaving on block tyres at pavement higher speeds anymore... Off-track performance improved a lot, eg. in tight turns.
  20. danketchpel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Moto Guzzi, Ducati, Beta
    I mounted a GPR on my Terra but have had a chance to really put it through the paces yet, soon. I have noticed the bike feels way more stable and less nervous on the freeway.

I'm using the #4 setting right now, what setting have you found to with well? One thing I like about unit vs the Scotts I have on my DRZ is that it's easier to adjust.

For the install I did have to machine down the post to get it to clear the unit when it was turned. I took off 0.075" ,0.050" would work but I wanted the extra clearance. I machined the bottom mounting pads so the top is original.

I also had to replace the 55mm bolts with 50mm as they bottomed out before tightening up.