Golden Tyres

Discussion in 'Zip Ty Racing' started by ajaxauto, Nov 17, 2015.

1. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Everyone who has ever tried the 216 Fatty front tyre has loved it and wants another one.

But how many of you have matched that front tyre with a 523 Rocky Rear

I have been running the 523 rears all year at the Nationals. Which have everything from rocks to sand and the 523 Rocky have work great in all area.

With that being said. I was over at Zip Tys and he has a bunch of 523 Rocky ready to go

110/100/ 18 120/100/18 and some 19 inch one also

I believe they are worth a try. Lets just say you all loved how the front tyre works. To me this rear tyre is the perfect match. They are worth trying.

As for more front tyres a deal is in the works to handle all the request . Get your rears now and be ready

Zip Ty Racing 760 244 7028
    wallybean and robertaccio like this.
  2. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    John any FIM pattern (GT216) Rears in 140/80-18 not gummy regular compound?
  3. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Sport Classic / Ducati Multi.
    I saw the 2015.2 catalog and it has a pretty large cross section of 216aa fronts.... 90/90-80/100 and 90/100. Also mousses to match. Are you guys still cutting and stuffing or is the GT 90/100 mousse working? http://www.goldentyre.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Catalogo_2015_2.pdf

Noticed this recommendation for the 80/100 on GTWest's FB page... "@sandragomez_93 hot setup for @enduro_cross from ‪#‎goldentyre‬ GT216X(gummy) 140/80-18 + GT216AA 80/100-21 ideal for extreme conditions. ‪"

They do seem to make a 90/90 and a 90/90 mousse also that has me interested for the front.
  4. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Robert you need to try a 523 rocky I use a 110 100 but they also have the 120/ 100 Get one and come try to beat me at rd 1
    robertaccio likes this.
  5. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    The question is where to get the Golden Mousse. I'd like to try one to see how they hold up, but just invested in a fresh set of Michelins for the upcoming season. Robert, I went into the warehouse at ZTR last week and picked through all the rears checking for different compounds and didn't see any 216s in the pile. All 523
  6. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    John I use the Michelin M16 front (for 90/100-21 size) I install it stock ride a few rides break it in then cut it and stuff in @6IN of another old M16------as a former Marine I like being kitted with both an M16 and an M14 (rear mousse 140/80-18) haha, for lube Ive been using the ZipTy provided easy to deal with water based stuff. I just feel that its important to pull the sets off inspect and redo them every month or 2. I use the fatty 90/100-21 GT216AA and a Pirelli Scorpion Pro FIM 140/80-18 rear
  7. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks Robert. Looking to replace both tires soon and mousses. Mine have been on for a year now. Interested to see how the mousses held up.
  8. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    I'm ready for a stuff front and stuff /new tire rear to get me through practice season. Looks like even though I have a local sponsor that does my mounting, it's time for me to get some soap and levers.
  9. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
  10. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Went riding with John and he gave me tutorial on Sunday. It went pretty much just like the ZipTy video. It's amazing how much soap you can shove in there. I had it easy working with a new mousse but the cutting and stuffing is pretty straightforward. We had it done in about 10 minutes including cleaning the rim, applying a new rim strip, and mounting up the new goodies. Now it's time to go break that fresh mousse in with the Marine this week while he's got Turkey Day leave.
  11. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    So what do you guys do with the Michelin lube?
  12. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    OK didn't want to go here..I have drawer with a bunch of them and a while back (before enforce tire soap) I had ordered a box of the silicone toothpaste Michi-lubes so I am fat with them.
    For the case of this upcoming Sprint Enduro I am going to put my tire soap bucket aside and use the silicone stuff from Michelin.
    The reason.....Michelin engineered/designed it for its Mousse use. Its water proof so it repels water and seals the wheel. Its very light (less unsprung wheel weight). And of course it works, Michelin worked a long time to get the mousse and proper lube thing dialed in.
    Also only my conjecture if Michelin could have made their mousse lube water soluble/more eco friendly I imagine they would have, EU is hardcore with enviro issues. The silicone grease they chose is the best option for the job.
    After this race in a month or so when I pull the tires for a re-lube I will wipe off all the silicone grease and use tire soap again and continue to use tire soap for its super ease of use, water based clean up, low cost, as well as the fact that it does work fine in real world use (including racing).
    I am a ZipTy Racing logic subscriber. Ty is my west coast Guru for all things moto out here.
    So I am a tire soap believer, but I am also in the engineering business so I trust Michelins design parameters (and feel sure that their product is actually the top shelf best of the best, it just come with day to normal guy issues that tire soap doesn't - mainly the water soluble feature).
  13. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    if you can after doing all the mounting and stuffing spin balance those wheels.....its a next level procedure to keep her smooth.
  14. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Not a bad idea, but do you ride it a bit first to make sure everything is seated and the mousse has a chance to go through a heat cycle and evenly distribute the soap through a good spin cycle first?
  15. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    I am debating putting a low profile tubeless schrader valve to set the bead. May add a 2-3mm bump to the inside of the rim. I was able to massage the mousse and set the bead but some pressure may work better. Hate to add the weight as well. May or may not do this but an idea. I always pressurize tires to max pressure to set the bead properly and then ease it to desired pressure.

[IMG]
  16. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    I've seen people just cut the valve stem out of an old tube, with just enough tube so it won't pull out of the rim. Works and weighs less.
    Johnrg likes this.
  17. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    I was told many moons ago, after I asked about bead seating, by a former Farioli KTM world trophy guy ISDE OA Champ team (Italia) -- He said to have zero worries after installing the mousses just get on the thing and ride, if the bead is little inside the rim it will rapidly pop into place after a minute or 2 down the trail. I have never looked back and never had issues been using Mousses for a decade easily. ANd watching the videos the WEC guys slam tires and ride no xtra bs work to do, no worries.
    bikesparky likes this.
  18. bikesparky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    Superduke 1290
    +1! A valve doesn't work anyway as there is so much loss at the spoke holes it's not funny.
    I know as I always put a tubeless rim valve in as it is illegal to ride on the road here with mousse, having no valve gives it away easily. (why make one as they are cheap of the shelve anyway?)
    I tried for fun to inflate it and the air just escapes everywhere...

As Robert says, as soon as you ride a minute or two it pops on no problem. It has nowhere else to go, it's definitively not going to come off the rim!
  19. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Mine did not after 65 miles seat, though was able to seat it on the stand on the opposing side with the bead breaker. The issue for me was I has a mud/stream crossing and lots of dirt in 65 miles... Enough to send some gunk into the tire. In any case I think my Metzeler was higher volume than other contemporary 90/90s and initially was a working through of the process and issues. Next time I will massage into place fully. Since I plan on the long term, I want it to be sealed quickly as I may have it sealed for months. My alternate plan, since I have 3m taped inside and out the valve stem is to make a pin hole to use with an air nozzle and attempt a fill there. When done a strip of packing tape or 3m film, I can strip as needed and re-seal.
    robertaccio likes this.
  20. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    just remember engineering fact michelin mousses are built specifically for michelin tires so there may be some slop inside that caused the issue. but also remember to really dont be afraid to lube the crap out of the tire bead along with the mousse, you can always jump on the bike bounce around on trail for a mile them come back and wash off all the mousse lube (whatever type you use--no kill like overkill. Those WEC guys have been using these things for years, what I was told is written in stone s far as Im concerned, I have seen mine have a low bead when coming off the tire machine, after a few minutes on the trail they are always fully pushed out and seated..
    bikesparky likes this.