Glen Kearney News?

Discussion in 'Racing' started by crb345, Feb 12, 2009.

1. crb345 Husqvarna
    B Class

Anybody have any news, photos, or video on Kearney and the wr 300?
  2. surfer1100 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WR250, Memories of past tiddlers.
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM-01 EN 125, 03 125 MX, 09 EN 155
    Eric at P3 is working on a tank and pipe guard for him, that's all I've heard.
    Oh yeah I've heard he loves the bike.:cheers::applause:
  3. BlipBlip! Husqvarna
    AA Class

Yep... Lindsey picked up a WR300 from Central Jersey Cycles to fit up both a new and larger tank as well as a pipe guard.

He asked if anyone on this site knows if the 09 WR250 and 09 WR300 use the same pipes?

Also, Norm is bringing down his 09 WR125 for a skid plate and pipe guard fit-up.

All good 2-stroke news.

BlipBlip:thumbsup:
  4. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    Looking forward on both products. Just wondering how long R&D takes
    with something like this?:D

Does running a Pipe guard put lots of stress on engine pipe bolts?
    Lots of windfall up here.

Been along time since I had a bike that I had to worry about the pipes.
    I've been on 4T's forever...well except for my GG Trials and that pipe is tucked up there pretty high out of the way.
    :cheers:
  5. BlipBlip! Husqvarna
    AA Class

I'm not sure what his turn-around is going to be on the first prototype pipe guard.

Sometimes he has a prototype mold done in a week, while others take a month.

Just depends what's in the shop.

Fuel tanks, that's another story, I've seen thanks that he's done for Ty Davis team Yamaha and Shane Nallie's Team Suzuki take 4 to 6 months with back and forth approvals.

But when they're done they are a work of art.... no funny bulges... just super clean and packaged real tight... with a real low center of gravity.

BlipBlip.
  6. raisrx251 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I am pretty sure the 250/300 pipes are different. I will try to find out Monday.
  7. BlueHusky144 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I want a Carbon Fiber tank for a 125 sooo bad.
  8. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

Ive been told they are different pipes, but havent seen them. (yet!!)
  9. ScottyR Husqvarna
    AA Class

The 250 and 300 most definitely have different pipes. The 300 appears to have a smaller expansion chamber which is odd. I am going to try a Gnarly Pipe off a WR250 on a 300 just to see what happens, but need to wait for the snow to go away first.
  10. BlipBlip! Husqvarna
    AA Class

Has anyone checked part numbers?

Someone said they're the same part number and I need a confirmation.

I know the FMF pipes are being delivered this weekend, but I need stock pipe info.

BlipBlip
  11. BlipBlip! Husqvarna
    AA Class

Also Lindsey's prototype tank for Glenn's WR300 holds around 4 gallons with the quickfill and stock shrouds.

It's a one off design and it looks stock with everything down low.
  12. F1ED Husqvarna
    AA Class

Just read this on Cycle News:

For Husqvarna's Glenn Kearney, the start of the 2009 Grand National Cross Country Series will be a painful one. The Australian reportedly showed up for today's practice for tomorrow's opening round of the GNCC series in Florida with a broken leg. Still, Kearney suited up and rode practice but was obviously not up to his usual fast pace. It is not yet known for sure if he'll ride in tomorrow's race.

What a friggin bummer!!:foul:
  13. fury1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

that stinks for sure! Im available if they need a rider:)
  14. Swampds Husqvarna
    AA Class

I am going tomorrow....I will post some pics when I get back!
  15. crb345 Husqvarna
    B Class

Maybe somebody in the know;)could have Glen Kearney give his race report on Cafe Husky. And maybe even have a Q&A threat?
  16. BlipBlip! Husqvarna
    AA Class

Well it looks like Glenn twisted is sore ankle in a rut today at GNCC round# 2 .

From the sound of things it happened just after the first lap and he had to drop out of the race.

It's a shame, because he was running in the 6th place and only seconds from 1st... the leaders were all that close together.

Anyway, I hope he can just ice it and let it rest a little so it's good for Round 3 in two weeks.

BlipBlip:notworthy:
  17. BlipBlip! Husqvarna
    AA Class

Glenn Kearney managed to make it through Florida, but he wasn't tough enough for Georgia (as he said himself),
    It ended up way better than he thought, the fracture is still stable but the ligament damage he had done already was increased along with some new damage. He hopes to race in NC in 2 weeks where at least the fracture will be all but healed.

BlipBlip
  18. BlipBlip! Husqvarna
    AA Class

For Immediate Release
    rachelf@gnccracing.com

Strang Makes Three Winners in First Three GNCC Rounds with FMF Steele Creek GNCC Victory Mullins, Whibley on Podium

Morganton, N.C., March 22, 2009=97 The third winner of the season emerged at the third round of the 2009 Can-Am Grand National Cross Country Series, the FMF Steele Creek GNCC, proving the chase for this year's GNCC Championship will be fierce.

After a three-hour battle of wheel-to-wheel racing, FMF Makita Suzuki's Josh Strang sailed into the finish line first to grab his win of the 2009 season. His teammate Charlie Mullins and GEICO/JG Racing Monster Kawasaki's Paul Whibley took second and third at Steele Creek on Sunday.

"After Whibley and Mullins and Kearney passed me by I realized I needed to click it up a gear," Strang said of the early battle. "It was a little easy, but not too easy."

Strang's win was indeed not easy. Mullins nabbed the $250 MotorcycleUsa.com Holeshot Award off the start and led early. The race was tight until the final lap of the race, as Strang battled it out with Mullins, Whibley, Husqvarna's Glenn Kearney, and Am-Pro Yamaha's Barry Hawk and Thad DuVall on a track that ran through the steep hills, bridges and mud of North Carolina.

The top six traded in and out of the top three spots until Hawk and Kearney were knocked out of the running in the fifth lap. Kearney's bike stalled through the infamous mud hole under Steele Creek concrete bridge and Hawk suffered his own problems in the mud.
    From there, Strang was able to pick up the pace and finished nearly a minute ahead of teammate Mullins.

"I'm pretty happy with it," Mullins said. "I wish I'd won it but I'll take
    second today. I'll definitely be ready for the next race."Whibley, who came in first at the Maxxis General GNCC two weeks ago, had trouble with his suspension, making it hard to hold on for three hours.

"I was a little uncomfortable out there," Whibley said. "Third is still good. I'm happy to be up on the podium. It's still a good day."

In his first race back after breaking his wrist at the GNCC opener in Florida three weeks ago, XC1 Class rookie Thad Duvall came in fourth, followed by Shock Doctor KTM riders Nathan Kanney and Kurt Caselli. Yamaha's Jason Raines nabbed seventh and Hawk recovered from the mud hole to come in eighth. Kawasaki privateer Jesse Robinson and 2000 GNCC Champion Shane Watts rounded out the top 10. =20

In the XC2 Lites class, Shock Doctor KTM's Kailub Russell came into the race carrying a two-race win streak, but a first-turn crash allowed his teammate Cory Buttrick to get out front, along with Kawasaki privateer Andrew Matusek, who grabbed the $100 Cometic XC2 Holeshot Award. Russell recovered and was able to get into the lead on the second lap, but after he pitted, But trick was able to get back past him. The KTM teammates pressured each other for the rest of the race, with Buttrick coming out ahead to take his first win of the season. Russell took second with Matusek third.

"I saw Russell come up behind me fast and I thought it was going to be a hard three hours," Buttrick said. "I'm tired, but it's worth it. It feels goo=
    d to get a win."

The race drew 1591 different riders, an increase over last year's Steele Creek event.

Kawasaki's Jordan Ashburn collected Top Amateur honors by taking 14th overall and winning the Open A class. In the two hour bike morning race, Women's Class Winner Amanda Mastin collected the $100 Coppersmith Suspension Amateur Holeshot Award.=20

The 2009 Can-Am Grand National Cross Country Series continues with the Pirelli Big Buck GNCC in Union, South Carolina, on April 4th and 5th. For more information, visit www.gnccracing.com

XC1 Pro
    1. Josh Strang (SUZ)
    2. Charles Mullins (SUZ)
    3. Paul Whibley (KAW)
    4. Thad DuVall (YAM)
    5. Nathan Kanney (KTM)
    6. Kurt Caselli (KTM)
    7. Jason Raines ( YAM)
    8. Barry Hawk (YAM)
    9. Jesse Robinson (KAW)
    10. Shane Watts (KTM)

XC2 Pro-Lites
    1. Cory Buttrick (KTM)
    2. Kailub Russell (KTM)
    3. Andrew Matusek ( KAW)
    4. Jake Korn (KTM)
    5. Scott Watkins (KAW)
    6. Josh Weisenfels (YAM)
    7. Brian Lawson ( YAM)
    8. Eric Bailey (KTM)
    9. Brett Zofchak (KAW)
    10. Mat Herrington (KAW)

Can-Am Grand National Cross Country XC1 Point Standings (After 3 of 13 rounds)
    1. Paul Whibley (76/1 win); 2. Charlie Mullins (73/1 win); 3. Josh Strang (57/1 win); 4. Nathan Kanney (53); 5. Jimmy Jarrett (45); 6. Kurt Caselli (44); 7. Barry Hawk (33); 8. TIE: Jesse Robinson/Homero Diaz (24); 10. Ryan Gainey (23).=20

About GNCC Racing: The Can-Am Grand National Cross Country series is America's premier off-road racing series. Founded in 1973, the 13-round championship is produced exclusively by Racer Productions. Cross-country racing is one of the most physically demanding sports in the world. The grueling three-hour GNCC races lead as many as 1,800 riders through tracks ranging in length from eight to 12 miles. With varied terrain, including hills, woods, mud, dirt, rocks and motocross sections, GNCC events are tests of both survival and speed. Riders compete for more than $3 million in contingency and prize money, which draws talent from all over the U.S., Europe, Australia and New Zealand. GNCC Racing is televised and will air beginning April 4th on the Versus Network. For more information, please visit www.gnccracing.com.

About Racer Productions: A West Virginia-based motorcycle and ATV event production company, Racer Productions has been a leader in the off-road racing industry for more than 30 years. It's repertoire of events includes the 13 round Can-Am Grand National Cross Country Series, held since 1973; The Kawasaki/Monster Energy High Point National in Mount Morris, Pa., held since 1977; The ATV Dirt Days at Loretta Lynn's Ranch in Hurricane Mills, Tenn., held since 1985; The U.S. World Motocross Gran Prix at Steel City Raceway in Delmont, Pa. in 1987; The Monster Energy/Kawasaki Steel City National, held since 1988; The ATV Stampede National Motocross at High Point Raceway, held since 1994; The AMA Pro ATV Open at Steel City in 2007; as well as numerous other amateur motocross events. In addition, Racer Productions staffs the prestigious Air Nautiques/AMA Amateur National Motocross Championship Loretta Lynn's Ranch, held since 1982. For more information, please www.racerproductions.com.
  19. BlipBlip! Husqvarna
    AA Class

GLENN J KEARNEY
    STEEL CREEK NC GNCC Lap times
    Position......Time behind leader
    3...............00:00:02.641
    4...............00:00:00.703
    4...............00:00:00.891
    3...............00:00:29.000
    14.............00:09:57.250
  20. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

.7 seconds seperated the top 4 guys on the second lap? wow!
    gotta wonder where Glenn would be with a perfect leg.