Gear selector fork replacement-easy?

Discussion in '610/630' started by Flynn, Feb 5, 2017.

1. Flynn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    I have gone to the expense of replacing the gear lever on my 610 only to find myself with a lever that still goes slack after a short while, i.e. within a few shifts. As you can imagine, this is quite infuriating.

I can only imagine it is due to the splines on the selector fork shaft being worn down, if so then I shall buy another new lever to go with the new selector fork.

The question is, is it an easy job to replace the selector fork? It looks like it might just slide out from the clutch side of the engine.

This is the part I am talking about:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HUSQVARNA...226329?hash=item2edca3ed99:g:9z8AAOSwWKtUwOTJ

It would be very nice to have a slick gear change without any slop in it!
  2. Flynn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    I figured I would update this, according to the manual you can, although you do have to remove the clutch hub first so it is quite a big job:

gear shaft removal.png
  3. Etze Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM610 2006
    Other Motorcycles:
    Non
    Your problem is that the lever comes loose although you tightened the screw?

I think i got a similiar problem once, the key is to set the lever flush to the End of the shaft. Then tighten the screw good.

Mine became loose and then scratched on the left engine cover.

(Reaching the screw is a pain in the a** everytime you have to remove the lever.)
  4. Flynn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Etze, I have noticed that myself, too. The problem is that the lever won't stay on the end of the shaft, despite the fact that I have tightened the screw to the point of snapping it. I figure this is due to the shaft and/or the lever splines being flattened in one or more areas, hence why I am keen to replace both items and start over. It is odd though because both diameters on the shaft on either side of the smooth narrow part look the same, so I figured if it was between them it would still be okay.

I have had another idea of putting a load of washers on the shaft to prevent the lever from being able to slip into the middle. But I figure I would like to replace the shaft and lever since that's the way it is meant to be after all.

I just can't wait to get a good shifting action again.