1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Gear selecter not returning

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by cheko7, Nov 5, 2014.

1. cheko7 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    85 500CR 94 250WR 04 125CR 10 300WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Cagiva WMX 250 88 2/89WMX125s
    Is there a trick to setting up the gear selecter
    I've had the clutch cover off and now the shifter don't fell right
    It's my 85 500cr I replaced the clutch
  2. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    There is a spring that kind of straddles a pin which makes the shifter return to where it belongs. If you don't get it installed right and or bend it what you describe happens. I actually bent (must have been installing the cover) one after years of never having any issues.

fran
  3. White Husky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Cheko7, here is an old Cafe Husky thread (with photos) detailing my learning experience (with the help of our knowledgeable Cafe Husky brethren) of why the gear selector didn't work properly after removing and refitting the clutch cover on my XC500. Hope it helps you put yours back together successfully.

The last 2 photos are probably the most relevant. That's the spring and pin that Fran is talking about.

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/83...fter-clutch-cover-removed-and-refitted.24360/

Kind regards
    Lucien
  4. White Husky Husqvarna
    AA Class

5. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Exactly awesome pic.

I purchased a husqvarna '86 400 wxe non running for $150. The only thing wrong was this spring wasn't centered on the pin for the shift selector to return to it central position. After a good bath and a restoration paint job she was a runner and a looker plus she was fast.
  6. Leigh Roberts Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 CR430
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM EXC450, SWM RS650R
    I found this thread extremely useful when diagnosing my shifter problems. But I also have something to contribute to the discussion learnt from countless assembly/disassembly of the clutch cover.

The distance the pin protrudes into the shifter return spring is very important. I found my pin would site 13mm proud of the clutch cover. If I assembled it and shifted up and down a few times (engine not running), the gearbox would get stuck in 1st or 2nd. Pull the clutch cover off and notice the return spring wasn't straddling the pin.

The distance from the clutch case, between the spring, to the shifter mechanism was about 17-18mm. If I pulled the pin out of the clutch cover about that distance shifting would continue to operate properly and the return spring do it's job. Conclusion - that pin can slip back into the clutch cover and the spring fall off the end of the pin and stop shifter returning. I cleaned the pin and put some Loctite 680 on it to keep in in the correct position.

Hope that helps someone struggling to keep the return spring working.
    moto_surfer likes this.
  7. silverstreakNZ Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82cr500,76gp360,90wr250,81 420AXC
    Other Motorcycles:
    74 tm400 , 02 gasgas ec 300
    The spring can be or could be upside down I believe
  8. Leigh Roberts Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 CR430
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM EXC450, SWM RS650R
    Can it? We are talking about the spring with the pink arrow pointing to it in the image above.
  9. silverstreakNZ Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82cr500,76gp360,90wr250,81 420AXC
    Other Motorcycles:
    74 tm400 , 02 gasgas ec 300
    Yea I'm fairly certain I've had it off and back on and it only engages the peg one way up .
    Maybe entirely wrong though
  10. ajcmbrown Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400WR 250WR 07 WR500 430AE 360AE
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 500CR Ducati Multistrada 1200S
    The spring in the pic with the pink arrow is fitted correctly.
    Tony.