gear lever bolt going slack!?

Discussion in '610/630' started by Flynn, May 2, 2017.

1. Flynn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    I have had this problem since I got my Husky. The gear lever bolt backs off by itself just a little bit, enough to introduce noticeable slop at the lever. I then have to tighten the bolt back up again.

I have so far tried thread lock and silicone sealant on the threads and neither holds it.

Is this a problem common to most bikes or just the design on the 610?

And how to solve it? I guess I could nip the bolt up tight and then drop a tac weld on it but that's a bit extreme and I have a sneaky feeling it may not even be the bolt loosening but perhaps the lever clamp somehow going out of round.
  2. Spice Weasel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SM610
    My lever has also come loose a few times and will move sideways slightly on the shaft when it does. It is right under the front sprocket, so gets all the lube from the chain on it which might help cause the bolt to loosen. I just keep checking mine and doing it up as tight as i dare. The bolt is awkward to get to and tighten though. Im surprised thread lock hasnt stopped it coming loose. Maybe try drilling the head of the bolt and wiring it.
  3. BiG DoM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Remove the bolt and change out the washer for a serrated or split lock washer.
  4. Rotax_655 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    ex TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia Pegaso 650 GA
    Put a small amount off loctite 243 on the bolt after increase this gap whit rasp
    Look at the figure 20170504_150812.jpg
  5. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    I'm trying not to...I don't want any doc taking a rasp to my junk (just kidding, obviously- you've got the right idea!)
  6. Rotax_655 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    ex TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia Pegaso 650 GA
    A solution to the problem tested on my TE630
    :-))
    EricV likes this.
  7. Flynn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Hi Rotax_655 thanks for the advice, I have done that previously and I think making the gap bigger messed up the radius of the clamp which gripped even worse after I did that and wore the splines on the gear selector shaft.

I will try Big Dom's suggestion of the locking washers. I didn't think of that, obvious when you think about it though! Got a load of fastenings at work.
  8. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    Is there room for a longer bolt so that a nylock nut can be attached?
  9. BiG DoM Husqvarna
    AA Class

I would be tempted to add some Locktite blue (243) medium thread locker as well.
  10. Flynn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Well it would appear that after a week of nipping it up every couple of days, it has reached a critical point at which it isn't going slack anymore! Yay!