gas tank to Big!

Discussion in 'Common Items on Husqvarnas: Tires/tubes/grips/etc' started by Scudd, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Scudd Husqvarna
    AA Class

California- southern, inland empire, Rch Cucamonga
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2017 Husqvarna FE350
    Other Motorcycles:
    honda 50f, kaw 110, suz 125
    I'm going to experiment making my bike narrower... I'm switching out my stock gas tank on my 2017 FE350 for the 2017 FC350 stock gas tank. There is a 0.4 gallon difference. My riding buddies are nervous about me running out of gas, but I'll have a Giant Loop 1 gallon gas fuel safe bladder with me.
    Has anyone done this?
  2. 87husky500xc Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2020 tx300i and a few vintage bikes
    Other Motorcycles:
    77 honda xr-75..
    Might have a little better luck in the Austrian 4t section. Welcome to the cafe by the way!
  3. Teeszy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 SM510R , 2016 FE501S
    Idk, the bikes are very narrow already.
    When I opened this thread I assumed you had an oversized tank.
    At over 6' with chicken legs its hard for me to grip the stock tank on my 501S because it's so slim.
    Curious why you want the cockpit so streamlined when the bars still stick out quite a ways...
  4. Scudd Husqvarna
    AA Class

California- southern, inland empire, Rch Cucamonga
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2017 Husqvarna FE350
    Other Motorcycles:
    honda 50f, kaw 110, suz 125
    In the past, I only rode streamlined motocross bikes.. and in the past 6 months, riding a dualsport bike has been an adjustment. Also I ride with knee braces which may exaggerate feeling wide. I wont get rid of my stock tank if this change is silly!
  5. Big Timmy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE 501 with lots of goodies.
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW G450X, 15'FE501, 23 KTM 1290 SAR
    I doubt you will have any difference in width changing to the FC tank from the factory FE tank. You will still be up against the side panels either way. That .4 gallons of additional fuel is carried entirely down low in the tank. A bit on the right side and mostly down low on the left side. The side panel position will remain the same.

22579_FE-250-US-2017-Studio-.jpg 2650701304499_255x273.jpg 261116_L.jpg 58556c26eaacc712bf7749b5.jpg
    Scudd likes this.
  6. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    if you get another tank and are willing to experiment on the stock tank, try this:
    fill it up with boiling water, and let it set for 15 minutes. quickly empty it, put the cap on firmly, then hook your vacuum pump up to it (btw, do you have a mity-vac? or the intake of some compressors). get a fairly good vacuum on it (careful!), and push the sides in with your hands where your knees hit. might use a low temp heat gun too. get ready to take the vacuum off fast. hit it with cold water in and out when you're happy.

warning: i've never tried this before... ....or even heard of it either.

good luck.

ps- this really only has a chance of working on polypropylene or polyethylene tanks; which is probably what you have
    Teeszy and Scudd like this.