1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Gas Tank Pin Stripes

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by 1982 XC 430, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Gord Husqvarna
    AA Class

Mark, the tank in my avatar is a decal from a parts supplier website. I didn't like it when I got it, and I liked it less when I put it on. Very thick. So thick that it wouldn't make the bends on the top and bottom of the tank. And Yes, it looks more like aluminum. I started over with the system Colin and I are using and it's perfect for a rider/racer.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, it's more fun doing it yourself as well! Also, you can make the pattern so it follows the curves of your tank exactly.
  2. GaryM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 430cr second 430 CR 500cr
    Other Motorcycles:
    1981 490 Maico
    Ok help. If i were to make a reusable template. How would make it stick. What product? I know watching the car shows on TV I Chip Foose use the pin stripping for layout and then masking the areas.

I have a couple of the 81 to 82 tanks to paint and I don't have a template made yet. If I need to remake each time that Ok but. like above I have to make that first master template.
  3. Gord Husqvarna
    AA Class

I ended up making my own template, and just kept trimming it until it was perfect (or the way I liked it). Then I transferred it to 1/4" luan so I would always have it. In order to have the white pin stripe around it, you would need two templates. Make the chrome vinyl one the way you want. Then use a compass or scribe and set it to 1/4" or however wide you want the pinstripe to be and go around the chrome (luan) template. Now your white vinyl template will be 1/4" larger all the way around. Now you have one for the white vinyl and one for the chrome.
    Hope that makes sense.
  4. Colin Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1975 250CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    DRZ400, PW50
    I made a template for a the chrome panel. Once I stuck it on the white background I cut round trying to follow the shape and keep a consistent width for the border. If you use another template for the white you might get problems trying to centre it over the chrome.
  5. Gord Husqvarna
    AA Class

That is a much better idea Colin. I just used pieces of masking tape to guide the chrome over the white. But it's a one shot deal. No second chances.
  6. auto Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    too many
    I know this subject was pretty much covered.I was repainting a tank for a wr 390 1979 rider,no show bike.I ended up buying a sharpie gold paint pen.Using a ruler and curved templets for the corners I pulled off a descent hand painted stripe.I will try this on a future show tank with some guides to help out. On a side note the 390 will be for sale.
  7. erickz Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1970 250 Cross
    Other Motorcycles:
    Penton 400 Mint, Ossa 250, Yam 250
    Does anyone have a stencil thy could post for a 1971 250 Cross MI chassis??
  8. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    73 450WR 6spd motor in a 75 MK frame
    The attached 72 pinstripe stencil should be the same for your 71 250. I don't think theres a difference in the tank pinstripe placement once you go beyond the 69 teardrop tank. The bulbous type tank that came on the 71 250 was produced for most cross models through 74.

For confirmation checkout the restorations at Vintage Husky. There you'll see Husky cross models from 71 forward with the same bulbous tank as the 72, and all having the same pinstripe placement. The only cross models that come to mind during the 71-74 period that had a different style tank are the 125, 175 and the 74 cr's.

https://www.vintagehusky.com/restorations.htm

Attached Files:

Steve-F and markt2 like this.
  9. erickz Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1970 250 Cross
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thank you so much!!
    Crashaholic likes this.
  10. erickz Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1970 250 Cross
    Other Motorcycles:
    Okay - used the stencil on some chrome decal adhesive paper as mentioned earlier then laid it on some white adhesive paper and gave it a 0.25" border and ta da: i have chrome knee decals with white border. Putting them on the tank is another story however - as this is an MI chassis tank there are a lot of curves to it. The decal would not strech enough to get rid of the creases - just looked awful. Now thinking I'll use the stencil to mark the tank, tape it up and spray some Dupli-Chrome rattle can paint on it. Thoughts??
  11. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Yeah I can't see how the chrome decal meant for the later model flat surface tank would form to a curved surface and not look silly but then I've never tried it. I have seen decals applied to the curved surface on a car using a heat gun but the material is probably made for it.

Most likely paint is your only option aside from chrome plating. I've read the chrome paint looks nothing like chrome but not ever trying it myself I can't say how it would look. If you do try it and get acceptable results post some pics so the rest of us that are interested can see what it looks like.
  12. erickz Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1970 250 Cross
    Other Motorcycles:
    Well, here are. Please be kind.

Attached Files:

DeathFromAbove likes this.
  13. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I wasn't aware I was unkind, no disrespect was intended. Feel free to share what it was I said that made you feel uncomfortable.
  14. erickz Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1970 250 Cross
    Other Motorcycles:
    No worries. Eating too many onion rings makes me feel uncomfortable.
    Could not get the 1/4” pin stripe tape to turn. Next time may try white paint.
    It’s a 10 rated job - from10 feet away it looks okay.
  15. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Oh, when you said be kind you were talking about the photo of your chrome decal tank. I thought it was in regards to something I said, sorry about that. Communication breakdown. Yeah, I was more interested in seeing your attempt at chrome paint on your tank than the decal.

About the pinstripe. I've painted stripes using a masking product called Fine Line tape #218 by Scotch. The 1/4" width easily turns corners on the Husky tanks plus it won't bleed paint and its tough enough to run sandpaper over without destroying it. Maybe be pricey for just one project though.
  16. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Found photos of my pinstripe project. You can see the Fine Line tape on both side of the white stripe. I sprayed the stripe but it could easily be done with a brush with the right paint consistency.

DSCN3250.JPG

DSCN3251.JPG

Clear coat orange peeled pretty badly but I was fine with it being my first attempt.
    The chrome panel on this tank was scratched up so I used a bench top buffing wheel to clean it up.
    DSCN3400 (2).JPG
    DeathFromAbove likes this.
  17. erickz Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1970 250 Cross
    Other Motorcycles:
    That looks fabulous!!
  18. DeathFromAbove My Cat Says AREAR!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    70,71 360 8s 72,74 450 73 360 73 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    66 Triumph Trophy 99 ZRX1100
    I had my pin striping guy do it and then clear coated the tank.:cheers: And the orange is Powder Coated!!:busted:

Attached Files:

Steve-F likes this.
  19. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250

Here is a tip: make sure you have good lighting, so you can watch paint lay down ( being sprayed out of gun) on tank, from a side view, as you spray. After 1st Coat of clear flashes, go crank your air pressure up about another 10 psi. It will blow that clear on real nice so it levels out. It will turn out like glass. Kinda like welding, you have to look into the Weld for good results.

Attached Files:

markt2 and Steve-F like this.