Full Floating question

Discussion in 'Common Items on Husqvarnas: Tires/tubes/grips/etc' started by CrankN, Jul 26, 2008.

1. CrankN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610
    Hey i thought i'd hit you guys up with a question. Probably one you might have read about at TT but would still like your input.....

Have just done a motard conversion on my TE610, bought it 2nd hand.
    The front wheel came with a 320mm oversize brake disk made by Motomaster which is full floating.

I was getting keen to get a relocating bracket to fit the calliper up but was stopped short with someone posting that i shouldn't use a full floating disk as well as the original callipers which are also full floating as it can be a safety hazzard.

I'd hate to have to fork out for another disk as well as the bracket but on the other hand don't want to put myself at risk.

I thought i would see what you guys thought on the subject.

CrankN.
  2. jaro51 Husqvarna
    A Class

Can't comment on the floating rotor and caliper issue but am curious to know what the potential problem is. I can say though, don't give up on the SM conversion, I have been having an absolute ball riding my TE510 with a SM conversion! :D
  3. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Absolutely. I like mine in SM form so much I'm actually thinking of leaving it that way and using my ATK490 for DSing.
  4. mcinfantry Husqvarna
    B Class

i love mine too. ive read you cant/dont want to use thing too. the te caliper will fit over the 320mm rotor? i think im just going to spring for the brake kit.
  5. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    I *thought* there were caliper relocation brackets available so the stock TE brake caliper could be used with the larger 320mm brake rotor.
  6. mcinfantry Husqvarna
    B Class

i thought so too, but i also read the stock te caliper wont fit the "thicker" sm rotor
  7. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    If it were mine - take a quick trip to the dealer with some calipers to measure if thicknesses were the same or different.

Think the original poster was concerned that both the caliper & rotor were both 'floating'.... not sure what that means... the pads in the caliper are always floating by definition. If they were not floating the pads would not release rotor... Again a quick trip to the dealer or a quick post from someone that knows a bit about SMs might clear this issue up...
  8. CrankN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610
    Yeah, but my wheel has TE hubs and the brake disk is just an oversized one for the TE.
    Isn't an SM disk.

CrankR.
  9. CrankN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610
    From what i was told, the disk is full floater if it has the joining rings around it as opposed to a solid disk. Check out Motomaster Flame disk.

And the calliper is as you said.

CrankN.