Fuel pump seal leaking.

Discussion in 'TR650' started by fastkx125, Jun 22, 2014.

1. fastkx125 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Hey guys, got about 3500 miles on my Terra now. Last night I noticed my inner right leg felt wet, thought maybe I was just being crazy. Then today after I filled up I felt it again. This time I felt my jeans and my hand smelled like gas. I popped off the seat to find gas coming out from around the fuel pump (Right from under the black metal ring in the pics below). I popped off the line, pulled out the pump assy (which looks like it came right out of a car btw) and pulled some fuel from the tank. Cleaned everything up, checked for cuts or nicks on the seal, found nothing. Put it all back together, no leaks but the I pulled like a gallon out plus what leaked out on my ride. Went to the station after it sat for a few hours, popped the seat again and filled up. Right after I was done pumping it started seeping again. Gonna call the dealer tomorrow or Tues, whenever they open. Does anyone have any ideas? IMAG1179.jpg IMAG1182.jpg
  2. tweber Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Tr 650 terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Zippo
    Is the tank vent is free flowing....looks like high tank pressure to me. Do you still have vap can on bike?
    mag00 likes this.
  3. fastkx125 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    I feel stupid for not checking that to tell you the truth. Like really stupid lol. That would absolutely explain it. I'll check that when I get home, where is it located?
  4. fastkx125 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Think I found it on the parts diagram, right next to the cap. Ill check that after work and report back.
  5. Ogre_fl Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Tiger 1050
  6. fastkx125 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Motosportz likes this.
  7. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Great forum full of helpful people. Love it.
  8. fastkx125 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Anyone know which sealant I should use to seal the rubber tank/pump seal to the tank?
  9. Deano66 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Husqvarna Terra 650
    I have the same issue on mine after only 1300 miles. Before I go through this, did it actually fix the problem? If not, how did you fix it?
    Thanks heaps.
  10. fastkx125 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    I removed the charcoal canister and did my best to seal the pump back in without a new seal as one was not available. I used jet fuel tank sealant I had at work. It held up until last week or so, now at 7500 miles I have a new oem seal to replace mine. I'll update the post again after I replace it. Should be able to do It tomorrow.
  11. fastkx125 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    I also gutted the gas cap vent of the check valve so nothing can slow the tank from venting.
  12. DJOV Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    XT 250
    For no other technical or educated reason, but onlly becasue fueling the bike made a fountain spray instead, I removed the red "sleeve" at the gas tank opening - I think this is only on US models - but I wonder if anyone else has done it and found whether this makes a difference in the tank pressure or other issues. I also don't have the weather or enough miles yet ( < 1000m ) to have tested the pressure issue. And I'm not excited to find this problem either. I will take another peak under the gas cap to see whether the ball, spring and washer that High Five found are there... Any ideas why that skinny red sleeve is in there in the first place?
  13. hasenpfeffer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    I'm assuming the red plastic is for the same reason cars have restrictor plates in the filler as well....to prevent someone from inserting the larger leaded or diesel nozzle. It was a bigger deal back when transitioning from leaded gas, but since leaded gas is all but extinct on the highways, it shouldnt be a problem. Note that some emissions testing may test for the restrictor and could fail you if its not there.
  14. DJOV Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    XT 250
    If I show up at the emissions testing place and pull the red sleeve out of my jacket pocket, think that'll count? :p
    Link likes this.
  15. PaulC F class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2 2018 YZ 450F, 2019 CRF1000AT
    My Aussie TR never came with one, must be only the US bikes? Think hasenpfeffer is right
  16. Ogre_fl Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Tiger 1050
    I removed the red plastic sleeve from the tank shortly after I bought my bike.
    Like you, I had problems with gas spraying during fill ups.
    6000 miles so far with no issues.

I can easily squeeze a bit more fuel in the bike without that thing in there too.
    DJOV likes this.
  17. AUS_TR650 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 KLX250S
    Ditto as it took too long to fill the tank with the sleeve in place. Don't overtighten the filler cap screws as you'll squeeze the seal. Two years later no issues with leaks.
    DJOV likes this.
  18. jetsun Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Husqvarna TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 Honda cb500f
    Hi
    i went through the same problem with the gas leak around the fuel pump. still having problems after replacing the gasket around the pump and gutting the vent cap?!
    any ideas? should the gasket be sealed with some sealant when replacing? I just tok the fuel pump out took of the old gasket and put the new one on
    went to refill at the gaststation and right there I saw gas seeping from underneath the ring?! what if the holes for the screws for the ring are bad ....?!
    please help
  19. fastkx125 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650

Mine got repaired under warranty. The entire tank had to be replaced, My friend owns the dealer who did the work and he said it was a Nightmare of a job to do. I sold the bike before it even left the dealership. Had the new owner pick it up there. I didn't even want to see it again.
  20. PaulC F class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2 2018 YZ 450F, 2019 CRF1000AT

Hi jetsun, can you see any cracks? in the poly flange or around the nuts. Did you torque the bolts to spec only? Is the ring in shape?
    JBweld does a epoxy gas tank repair kit. Avoid silicones mixing with fuel, known to damage O2 sensors.
    Post some pics
    jetsun likes this.