1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Front wheel alignment.

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by squid on a 300, Feb 20, 2018.

1. squid on a 300 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 WR 250 79 CR 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    GAS GAS 300 Trials 2 KTMs 2 Hodakas
    I have two Huskys...a 72 WR and a 79 CR...on both bikes when the triple clamps and bars are square with the bike the front wheel points slightly left..when the front wheel is aligned straight with the frame the bars are slightly right...Its not as noticeable when riding the WR. I took the CR for it's first ride today and it is more noticeable when riding it. Everything appears to be straight (wheel, forks, bars, axle) on both bikes. I did go through the same procedure i do on my other bikes when mounting the front wheel, Pinch bolts finger tight grab the front brake and pump the forks...What am I missing?
    thanks
    Bob
  2. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    You loosen up a bunch of stuff and put the front wheel in a bind and twist the bars, then tighten the stuff up. The upper nut on the triple clamp center is one. the pumping the forks you describe gets the fork bottoms the same distance apart center to center as up in the clamp that does not necessarily straighten out what you describe. I learned that with the Norton before getting into dirt bikes. Now that you bring it up have not done it on the modern stuff that I recall. Kind of what happens when you crash or fall over. If your bar mounts have those rubber cones in the mounting they can be replaced or re positioned if the clamp is at right angle to the wheel line and bars are off.
  3. silverstreakNZ Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82cr500,76gp360,90wr250,81 420AXC
    Other Motorcycles:
    74 tm400 , 02 gasgas ec 300
    Is the chrome part of both legs still straight ? Other than that just do as mentioned above
  4. squid on a 300 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 WR 250 79 CR 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    GAS GAS 300 Trials 2 KTMs 2 Hodakas
    both forks on both bikes are straight..i installed new rubber mounts on the bar clamps as a part of the refurb on the CR...I thought about doing what Fran posted above but was concerned it would possibly bind the forks....i'll give it a try..
    thanks
    bob
  5. ct cr430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 cr 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 honda crf450
    Had that happen to me after I changed bars and mounts , bars weren't straight . Took it apart numerous times trying to get it right . Since the bars had 2 separate clamps and rubber mounted they're easy to install slightly off . Try this , loosen 1 bar mount leaving the other mount tight . Move bars into desired position and then retighten the loose bar mounts . Hope this helps .
  6. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Sometimes they get tweaked in the woods. We would loosen the tripple clamps and look for a tree with two trunks with a vee to stick the front tire in to twist it back into alignment.