1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Frame wear from swingarm

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by fotosaurus, Mar 18, 2011.

1. fotosaurus Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hey guys - has anyone ever seen this before? It looks like the swingarm has worn grooves in my 1976 250 WR frame. From looking at the parts manual it appears I have all the parts/bushings. Is something missing, was it overtightened, swingarm bushings worn out? Something else? Frame.JPG
    Thanks,
    Mark
  2. HuskyT Moderator

Was the thin gage sst wear washer in place against the frame? This looks like the swingarm bearing /tube was wearing directly against the frame.

You can probably build this back up with weld and then re-grind flat....

T
  3. wrenchinremo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    390 OR, Silver streak, 2 500 XC's,
    Other Motorcycles:
    81 KTM 495, 510 TX, WXC 610
    I don't know about '76 but all of my early to mid 80's bikes, I have six of them, had a stainless steel thrust washer between the swing arm and frame. My first Husky ('80 CR390) got the same wear marks, bearings and swingarm housing, wore the washers completely out! That was my first lesson on preventative maintenance (They were expensive). I just replaced them and I haven't had problem since. Proper adjustment is the key, I think.
  4. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    At least the holes are not egg shaped. I have 3 frames to correct that issue on
  5. fotosaurus Husqvarna
    AA Class

There were no washers at all (unless you are talking about what looks like washers on the engine clamp plate) and the damage wsa already done when I bought the bike. If these are the wahers that are supposed to be there, it could have been overtightened at one time. Are the thrust washers integral to the clamp plate?
  6. HuskyT Moderator

7. fotosaurus Husqvarna
    AA Class

Yep - I see them now in your photos. I was going by the parts manual that doesn't show any washer there that I can tell (which I believe you alluded to in your post). After reading your post I pulled out my shop manual and it's shown in fig 6-1 on page S E-6. Do you have the dimensions handy?

Thanks for the great advice, as usual!!!
  8. fotosaurus Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks to everyone that posted advice and info!!!
  9. HuskyT Moderator

I would just order two from Philip at Husqvarna parts in Arizona.....

T