1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Forks, Servicing, rebuilding, etc. Multiple Models

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Eric The Leg, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

race tech calculator is off by a wide margin on all but modern USD forks. Talked to their guys at Unadilla and they admitted to that error but they are the techs and not the computer dudes who post the thing and create the algorithms that is the "calculator". Also never noticed much differences with the Gold valves even after tuning. maybe its me but $150 buys alot of beer and VP fuel.
  2. GaryM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 430cr second 430 CR 500cr
    Other Motorcycles:
    1981 490 Maico
    I am - well come in an extra large package. Waist size that is. I did notice a lot of difference after and I mean after a lot of changing that valve.
    Much better. Plus Joe, I only need two beers now a days.

I have drilled even one more large hole in the damping - per feedback from race tech. And of course the 81 to 85 forks need all the holes drilled first also.

Remember if you do spend the money Race Tech gives you an Arhma discount for being a member.

Best comparison is when KTM had modern new bike ride day before vintage race just down the road. Road the KTMs all day ( 3yrs ago ) harsh forks, arm pump
    hand cramps. Next day back on the old husky. Plush, no are pump, they just felt better. I was happy.

But one thing I like about the 87 forks is the top out spring. Am i saying you have to do it ? No, just another possible option.
  3. Eurofreak Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 TE 510, 1982 CR250, 2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    70's Triumph , Bultaco , Maico, etc
    I have emulators in Betor forks on my Triumph. Vastly improved those forks. I haven't ridden either Husky much. On my initial ride on my '82 in the woods I was very pleased with how both ends felt. The forks were perfect for the woods, responsive and cushy. As far as I know they are stock 40mm forks.
  4. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    There were no complaints in tests on both the 1982 CRs and WRs and the only suggested mods were to use the viscosity of fork oil to suit your weight and ability. At that time it was customary to use air in the forks to set the fork pre-load. When externally adjustable damping came in, subsequently the fork air fill was used to bleed off the pressure buildup.