1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Fork seal snap ring for 40mm fork

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Skoalman, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Skoalman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 & 83 HUS 430WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Maico, Penton, KTM, DKW, Rokon, BUL
    About 2 months ago I installed new fork seals (again!) on my old bomber 85 WR 400, and noticed that after the first race they were both leaking. I always run 2 seals per leg. However, when I removed the fork seal cover and seal savers I saw that both top seals had apparently popped out and inched their way up the fork tube. I know on 86+ 40mm forks that there is a fork seal snap ring -- do the 82 thru 85 40mm forks have them. I've rebuilt several pairs of early to mid 80's fork legs but have never seen a fork seal snap/retaining ring. Does anyone know if the K1 forks have them. According to the manuals, they don't. I just bought some fork seals from phillip at husqvarna-parts and I'm hoping that these will work.

Skoalman
  2. Husq.fleet Husqvarna
    AA Class

John, the early ones dont have them and I've had that problem also. What I tried was... using a contact type glue like Gascasinch or Cat cement. Best luck was "staking" the top above the upper seal slightly with a small chisel. Be careful not to do too much as the magnesium is fragile. That helps prevent the seals from rising. I also grease mine with a waterproof grease behind the seals, helps hold the seal springs in also when tapping seals in. I believe that also helps with some seal lube to prevent too much stiction causing seals to work their way up! It will then always leave a "travel ring" on the tubes but o-well. Just my 2c. Scott
  3. Skoalman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 & 83 HUS 430WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks for the tip Scott.
  4. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    A few comments from my experiences when I ran those forks.

I won't believe they are magnesium unless I see sparks from filings from them the thought that they were magnesium has never occurred to me.

I think they get forced up due to the pressure of the air above the oil when the fork gets compressed while hitting bumps and that sort of thing.

The later ones with the snap ring and the Teflon coated bushings and the 40x52x10 seal I have had them quite loose. I always try and get the seal the size mentioned not the one which is 9.5 mm thick like in most seal books and sold by tucker rocky and others. My logic is that perhaps that having the seal fully fill the space prevents it from moving and wearing itself loose. Perhaps the pocket for the seal is enlarged. I have a tube of gutter sealant from Alcoa which is designed to put on after one pop rivets gutter and accessories together. It would work well for this issue if you could wait a couple of weeks for it to cure. Just a bead around the top would do it. Not sure if the stuff from Lowes or Home depot is really the same some of the gutter pieces are certainly flimsy by comparison. Loctite has cylindrical sloppy fit products as well which might be an option.

Fran
  5. mr stainless Husqvarna
    A Class

for my two pence worth , when i rebuilt my forks i used genuine kawasaki seals and only put one in each leg instead of two .so far they seem to be holding up ,better than the first time i rebuilt them and i used two in each leg .
  6. Skoalman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 & 83 HUS 430WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks Fran.

Mr Stainless -- I've been thinking about doing that too. Thanks.
  7. NFG Husqvarna
    AA Class

What part number are these "genuine kawasaki seals"?

Bottomed out the forks on my 81 430XC last ride and one is leaking bad now. Time to have a look at replacing them. Thought I would try the Kawi ones but do not know where to start.....
  8. Skoalman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 & 83 HUS 430WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    I just finished installing a set from husqvarna-parts...Turns out the previous ones that I bought off of Ebay were the wrong size, and just plain ol' junk -- the seals came out of the fork like there was nothing holding them there!!... This time I took Fran's advice and used a Loctite product known as Loctite 603. Seals settled in nice and tight. All is good now.