1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Austria - About 2014 & Newer
    FE = 4st Enduro & FC = 4st Cross

FE/FC Finally Going To Fix The Front Forks On My 501

Discussion in '4st' started by Dirtdame, Jun 2, 2020.

1. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    I have been riding my 2018 FE 501 for about two years now, and I have never been too excited over the front suspension on it, so I finally decided to have the front forks reworked. I did some research on different fixes and also did some research on the nearest suspension gurus in my area. I finally went with an old and trusted shop that I have always used in the past, partially because of the past good service I had from them on all my dirt bikes, and partially because they had a good value for the dollar, as Bob Bell came up with his own version of dampening mods for the Explorer forks that were a lot less expensive than other kits. So the forks are up at Precision Concepts in Riverside, while poor Mr.501 sits in the garage with nothing to do and nowhere to go. In a couple of days, i should be able to go back up there and pick up the much improved boingers to slap back on the bike and try out. Can't wait!
    [IMG]
    Motosportz and 87husky500xc like this.
  2. flyingbob Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    01 WR360_02 WR250_12 WB165_17 FC350
    Other Motorcycles:
    01 VOR400_07 TM450_22 GG250_07 Tuono
    Well. How are they? I can imagine they're really good!
  3. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    I just got them back this afternoon. The kit that Bob puts together was missing a part and he had to order some more parts from Zip Ty. Then that order got lost and delayed in the mail. Finally, everything came together, and I got my forks. Just got done putting them back on the bike. Will ride very soon.
    [IMG]
    Huskynoobee, Long_Stroke and Chisler like this.
  4. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Took the new boingers out for a little whirl on Sunday afternoon. Night and day difference, like new forks. All the harsh, uncontrolled rebound was gone. Compression over small high speed stuff was plush and sensitive, then progressively tightened up just like it should. The bike felt settled and balanced for a change. The stock rear shock matched pretty well, with a slight bit of tweaking to the clickers. It would probably be more plush if it was re-valved also, and I will probably have that done in due time.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    MotoXImage likes this.
  5. Chisler Husqvarna
    AA Class

British Columbia, Chilliwack River Valley
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 WR 300 Husqvarna
    Nice , is that the stock height I’m seeing in the pic ... that’s some nice open area to ride in !! Any rattle snakes out there.
  6. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    I haven't shortened any of my bikes so far.
    The area is crisscrossed with single track trails in the brush.
    There are plenty of rattlesnakes out there, including Mojave, western diamondback, sidewinder, and speckled. I haven't seen any this year, yet. Although I have spotted my first horny toad of the season.
    [IMG]
    Here is a rattler from a few years back.
    [IMG]
    MotoXImage, robertaccio and Chisler like this.
  7. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    It's too bad that WP is sticking with the lousy fork designs. Why won't they just admit that having one side for rebound and the other for compression is just dumb? Calling the same basic design by a different name doesn't fix the problem. Converting to traditional is the only way to make them work right.
    robertaccio likes this.
  8. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    It's what we refer to as "cheaping out".
    robertaccio likes this.
  9. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    That and not wanting to admit they were wrong. Glad you got it sorted out.
    robertaccio likes this.
  10. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    Economics, profit margins, bean counters, plus the technical side knows 90% of DS people truthfully have no clue anyway. In stock form these are better than anything most have ever used, plus most DS folks ride these things like H-D highway bikes.
    Dirtdame likes this.
  11. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    So again where I was going its not dumb at all.....its all part of the business profit margin plan and what will work for 90% of the sales market with @ 1/2 the parts required and a lot less R&D costs....
  12. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM250xc, KTM500mx, KTM440exc
    It's not, though. New designs cost money. The 4CS is a complex, over-designed, under-performing unit. They did not save any money on that one. And with the Xplor they had to design that worthless compression unit that's in the left fork leg. I don't know 'why' they did it, but it didn't save them money. If they wanted to save money and "cheap out" they would have simply valved the good 'ol OC forks to work as separates. I've done that on several bikes and it works great. WP remains a mystery to me. I feel that the pieces are very good quality, but the final specs they select are just dumb.

But what matters in the end is that you now have a fork you like. Sad it has to cost us money above the purchase price, but it does fix the issues.
  13. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    The problem with the Explorer fork wasn't just that WP wasn't able to spec it out properly, but that NObody could spec the design out properly. It just was an inferior design, period. No tuners use any of the stock engineering for their modifications. Bob Bell said he spent months experimenting with trying to make the stock design work, but that it just wasn't feasible or practical. That's why he, and others went back to an older, more conventional design that is easy to tune properly.
  14. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM250xc, KTM500mx, KTM440exc
    Exactly my point. They spent money trying to come up with a new fork and did a bad job. That was not done as a method of "cheaping out." And, the fork is identical to the OC's except for that awful valve in the left leg (the new part they spent money on designing... poorly) and the shim and clicker arrangements. So, they basically spent money to make a worse version of the OC, a fork that would have cost no new money to supply to the buyer.