1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Austria - About 2014 & Newer
    FE = 4st Enduro & FC = 4st Cross

FE/FC FE501 Fuel tanks- let's talk

Discussion in '4st' started by octagon pilot, Mar 20, 2015.

1. octagon pilot Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE501s 2009 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    YZ450FX Tenere 700
    So I'm on the fence between the Acerbis 4.1 (for the ktm 500) or the IMS 3.1 for the Husky that keeps the stock rad shrouds. Couple of questions for the guys that have either of these....

For the IMS guys does it hold an actual 3+ gals?

For the Acerbis, same question, does it hold a solid 4+? Also, looking at the pics of the tank on the right side, it looks to me like you'd wind up with a fair amount of fuel in the low area on the right side that would require laying the bike over to slosh it over the frame into the left side?

What other considerations am I missing?

Thanks to all...
  2. Aaron platt Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TX300, 17 FE450
    Other Motorcycles:
    16 Beta EVO 300

The Acerbis 3.2 gallon for the Ktm will also work, but you'll needto use Ktm shrouds. I did the conversionon my 300 and I'm gonna do it on my 501 as well. Just waiting for my shoulder to heal up. image.jpg image.jpg
    Huskyfly likes this.
  3. gregdee Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 1190 Adventure, KLR 688, KX250
    Anyone ever go with the Acerbis 5.3 gal tank instead of the 4.1 gal tank and regret it? I can envision rides where the extra range would be nice but I can easily argue that it will be a rare occasion when a ride is more than 200 miles between gas stops, even in the desert southwest. Just can see riding an FE501S that far in one shot.
    My reasoning right now is that I don't have to fill the tank all the way all the time so the 5.3 would be the best option. Interested to hear other opinions.
    Tinken likes this.
  4. mrmiah Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husqvarna 501S

Gregdee, I'm wondering the same thing. I enjoy big off road trips and the extra miles possible with a big tank are awesome, but how much is it going to effect handling, moving around the bike, etc?I'd love to hear from some guys who have run both.
  5. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    We run both the 5.3 and the 4.1. I like the 4.1 better for most riding, but the 5.3 is required for our long haul races.
    mrmiah likes this.
  6. octagon pilot Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE501s 2009 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    YZ450FX Tenere 700
    Just ordered the 4.1 acerbis. For 205 bucks, figured why not. should be enough for my max range rides, don't see myself ever needing more than 160-180 miles, and hopefully handles as well as stock when it only has a couple of gallons in it...
    mrmiah and Motosportz like this.
  7. bamba Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FE350s
    Other Motorcycles:
    F800GS, Ducati StreetFighter 848
    hello, jast ran into your old thread posting regarding the debate of the gas tank (IMS 3.1 vs acerbis 4.1) and am in the same boat right now for my 350s. you happy with the acerbis decision? how easy/complicated is it to swap back and forth between stock and Acerbis? in hindsight would you go with the larger acerbis (5.3) or the IMS? I am also considering to stay stock tank and simply add rotopax. Thoughts?
  8. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    Swapping is not very easy since the fuel pump assembly needs to be swapped as well. Some go all out and buy a second fuel pump assembly to make it a fast swap but it adds cost.
    Hope this helps.
  9. octagon pilot Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE501s 2009 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    YZ450FX Tenere 700
    I got the fuel pump. Time to change between tanks is literally 10 mins.
  10. Big Timmy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE 501 with lots of goodies.
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW G450X, 15'FE501, 23 KTM 1290 SAR
    I also have the fuel pump installed in the 4.1 Acerbis. Bike handles fine. I haven't switched back to my stock tank since I installed the larger tank about 8 or 9 months ago. Whether I needed the added range or extra fuel or not.

It takes no more than 10 minutes to swap out. You'll need to trim about a 3/4" smile shape out of the front of the seat though and re-staple the cover to get it to lay into the tanks recess nicely.

If done correctly its hardly even noticeable using the trimmed back seat on the stock tank though when you switch back. So that's a non-issue.
    reveille likes this.
  11. ztrab Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 501 FE
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, BMW, Suzuki
    I have the 4.1 and it took that much. The width at the front is 1&1/2" wider at the seat it feels very slim. The filler neck assembly bolts on/off so you can get your hand into the tank. The tank bolt extrusion came off on mine and I had to take the plastic bits out and remove a few pieces that might have fallen into the tank. I've used Clark's on my 525s and they just had s hole. I used a fuel proof epoxy to insure a fuel tight seal. I had to reshape the sest pan, easy and I was redoing it with a Sest Concepts seat. The space between the tank wings and radiators allows leaving my aftermarket radiator guards on so I can swap my stock tank out in minutes. If you need the range, the 4.1 is an awesome tank. IMG_4626.JPG
  12. bushwa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Hawk Gt
    I agree, I have the 4.1 on mine. Range of more than 300 km, or about 180-190 miles. You can end up with a small amount trapped in the right side wing, but it's really small. Fuel light is on by then, and you might only have 20km or less range trapped in there. Kind of a poor mans reserve.
  13. Throttle on Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 fe501s
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 Wr 250r 94Kx 500, Xr650r
    I too am considering picking up the Acerebis 4.1. I'm currently running the IMS 3.2. I did have some manufacturing problems with my original IMS tank. IMS was very helpful and exchanged my tank for a brand-new one. My question specifically is. Is the extra width of the 4.1 acceptable for off-road riding. Are you still able to sit far forward in the saddle and raise your leg and bend your knee easily. I have had problems in the past with these types of tanks on other bikes and found them to be a bit restrictive. The last wide tank I had on a dual sport with the radiator shrouds incorporated in the tank design was fine for most highway use and some dual sport riding but was annoying off-road. I would have difficulty gripping the tank with my knees and bending my knee whith my leg leg raised. I'd be stoked to gain an extra gallon as I often step way out there into the boondocks on some of my rides.
  14. Throttle on Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 fe501s
    Other Motorcycles:
    So the 4.1 isn't really that restrictive to sitting for forward on the bike or bending your knee with your leg raised? I Assume that if you find it acceptable while racing I just might like this tank. I have found in the past some tanks that some tanks incorporating the radiator shroud in there design are a bit too wide. I appreciate your input I'm running an IMS 3.2 gallon tank now and look forward to gaining an extra gallon I am not looking forward to losing the current handling characteristics of my bike. Thanks!
  15. ztrab Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 501 FE
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, BMW, Suzuki
    The 4.1 is noticeable to me when I'm up over the bars in attack position but it isn't affecting handling or so wide I'm out of position. I haven't had time to put some tank grip where my knees contact, I think that will elimiminate the last bit of noticeable difference. I have a GL 1 gal fuel bladder. If your not packing a load for a long trip and just need the extra fuel, it's a pretty good compromise. I was going to buy a 3.1 Acerbis but figured I'll just strap the bladder on when I'm in that configuration
    Throttle on likes this.
  16. Throttle on Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 fe501s
    Other Motorcycles:
    sounds reasonable thanks for the input!
  17. Throttle on Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 fe501s
    Other Motorcycles:
    Your photo helps a lot! Too bad Aceribis does not have more photos of there products installed. Thanks!
  18. mt92 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    yamahas

What is that GPS on your bike? Do you like it? I have been looking at a Garmin Montana.

Thanks
  19. Bora20 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2016 Husky FE350S
    This is super helpful. Thank you. I am buying a 2016 FE350S and like the flow of the Acerbis tank better. I will swap my buddies tank and shrouds on from his 2014 350EXC to confirm before purchasing.
  20. ztrab Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 501 FE
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, BMW, Suzuki
    opps, I haven't looked here in a year, yeah, it is a 600 in the Garmin cradle with a ram mounted Tour Tech mount. Sorry for the delay.