1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Austria - About 2014 & Newer
    FE = 4st Enduro & FC = 4st Cross

FE/FC FC450 Radiator stays pressurized

Discussion in '4st' started by my_urban_chaos, Jan 16, 2018.

1. my_urban_chaos Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE310
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwak Z1000
    My 2016 FC450 keeps pressure in the radiator for days!! I pop the cap and the air just blasts out. I have Husky silicon hoses and a Boyesen pump cover on it along with a CV4 radiator cap. I add water to the radiator but the level seems to end up below the fins after a long ride and I fill it up again. Any thoughts on this problem?
  2. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    Exhaust gas getting into rads pressurising them & blowing coolant out. Head gasket shot
    Weantright and Trenchcoat85 like this.
  3. Weantright Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2019 FX350 w/KYB Inserts
    Other Motorcycles:
    2017 FE250 w/OC, 2016 XTrainer w/KYB
  4. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    Start the bike up without the radiator cap. You may see lots of bubbles (very fizzy) coming out of the coolant- which would indicate some kind of problem (And the easy fix would be head torque; the hard fix would be a cracked head; the in-between problem would be a blown head gasket).

The fizzyness might not appear until the bike is warmed up.

you can sometimes smell exhaust in the coolant... or coolant in the exhaust. And there is chemical testers that indicate exhaust gasses are present in the cooling system- but really, you'll be able to tell.

good luck.
  5. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    dozens of them, kicked to the curb
    bubbles in the coolant stream with the cap off are not an indication of a blown h/g. bubbles seen with the cap off come from a variety of things.

a blown h/g or cracked casting = pushing fluids from the rad/past the cap/ "boiling action" in recovery jar. esp. ona high compression engine. and you will most likely see some steam out the pipe that lingers when cold.

losing "water", or even coolant/water mix between rides is 100% normal. water evaporates and steams off. (that's why fast guys use FX from ZipTy and purge ALL the water from their system because.....). that fluid- coolant, is part of your pre-ride check list. good on ya for checking.

if you are worried about the pressure? the cap is your fuse. that will open off the spring before anything else goes boom. if you want to know how much pressure is in there? there's devices you can buy or make.

if in the AM after a ride, you pull your plug and it's not rusty (since there is water in the system), dont look weird, and can see in the chamber with a dental mirror and there's not a lot of condensate in there yer fine.
  6. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
  7. my_urban_chaos Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE310
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwak Z1000