1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Exhaust dB comparison!

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by danbartol, Mar 15, 2010.

1. danbartol Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have been trying out different exhaust set-ups to balance out sound vs performance on my TE510.

I have decided that the Husky dB killer is way too restrictive, so I took advantage of the FMF sales deal and ordered an FMF Q4 exhaust.

I have a cheap Scosche dB meter so I decided to do some unscientific sound testing following the USFS standard ( open area, 20" from exhaust tip at a 45 degree angle) and the various configurations of the Arrow and the FMF exhaust.

Here are the pseudo scientific results It's hard to get a steady 6500 RPM since the bike gets in the power-band and takes off):

OEM Arrow uncorked
    [IMG]

1- Idle 98dB
    2- 6500 rpm 110dB
    3- Peak 130dB

OEM Arrow w/ dB Killer
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

The holes on the end of this thing are 10mm in diameter, think dime size!

1- Idle 86dB
    2- 6500 rpm 96dB
    3- Peak 103dB

OEM Arrow w/ OEM spark arrestor
    [IMG]

[IMG]

1- Idle 93dB
    2- 6500 rpm 103dB
    3- Peak 110dB

OEM FMF Q4 uncorked
    [IMG]

[IMG]
    1- Idle 95dB
    2- 6500 rpm 104dB
    3- Peak 113dB

OEM FMF Q4 w/ OEM spark arrestor
    [IMG]

[IMG]
    1- Idle 92dB
    2- 6500 rpm 102dB
    3- Peak 110dB

The bottom line is that the Husky is just a loud bike. It also make a significant amount of intake noise.

According to my highly calibrated butt dyno the open Arrow felt the fastest on the top, but was a bit less torquey on the bottom, the Husky dB killer was nice and relatively quiet, but significantly choked up the bike and the FMF Q4 w/ spark arrestor was the best compromise of sound muffling and performance. It also felt like it added a bit of torque to the bottom end, while loosing a bit of top end.

I'll add pictures and some video clips when I get a chance.

Here are the numbers side-by-side:

[IMG]

Note: even though the Arrow and the FMF have similar numbers w/ the spark arrestor in I personally think the FMF does not sound as loud since the tone of the muffler is a bit lower. The Arrow still has a bit of raspy, tinniness to it that makes it seem more offensive to the hear. I understand this is purely subjective though.
    Salty Dog likes this.
  2. Mossy24 Husqvarna
    C Class

Yes I agree that the husky pipes are loud. My 2008 TE450 has the power up kit and it is quite loud. My mate has a 570 husaberg with a Akrapovic and it is quiet compared to mine.
  3. Suamico SD Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 350 , Gas Gas Raga 300
    Having just purchased my first Husky (TE310, coming from KTM) I was surprised how loud it was. I have used FMF pipes on other bikes and was thinking about one for this bike, but maybe not?
  4. dirtriderwjc2000 Husqvarna
    A Class

I had my 08 TE450 tested at my last race and with the spark arrestor in it was only 94db with the PU kit installed.
    Shawbridgehusky likes this.
  5. Darkside Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none left
    Other Motorcycles:
    beta, ktm, aprilia
    at idle?
  6. dirtriderwjc2000 Husqvarna
    A Class

nope at the correct rpm's for the bike (the tech inspection did the test) it was bouncing between 94 and 96 db
  7. seredyns Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks! Great write up, just the info I was looking for:thumbsup:
  8. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Your readings are on the high side but good for comparison evaluations. Nice work, thanks.

K
    Shawbridgehusky likes this.
  9. tempus fugit Husqvarna
    AA Class

Good test data. Thanks!
  10. wilmar13 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FE350S
    Other Motorcycles:
    1190R
    Great data... This is very interesting. I have been doing my own un-scientific experimentation to try an get my SM510R down to just mildly obnoxious noise level. After repacking the Arrow can from Power Up kit and being disappointed I put the stock pipe on and it is still crazy loud. The stock pipe on the SMR has a cat and baffle, so I have come to the realization that this bike will always be a noise polluter.

I really think a lot of the noise is from the airbox, or lack thereof. If anyone has any idea to muffle the intake noise I am all ears.:D

The other possibility is the twin exhaust from the 09, but I am not sure how much more quiet that will be.
  11. NumberCruncher Husqvarna
    AA Class

Doesn't FMF advertise the FMF Q4 at 94db or lower? I am surprised your numbers are so much higher.

NC
  12. danbartol Husqvarna
    AA Class

That's why I'm saying pseudo scientific test: I do not know how accurate the Scosche digital sound meter is or how accurately I followed the sound testing instructions.

I did 20 inches from the muffler tip a 45 degree angle at 1/2 max RPM.

A few things I know were off:
    1- I think the test needs to be done in a completely open area (I was by the garage, but facing away)
    2- The test should be done on a soft surface like dirt or grass (I was on concrete)
    3- My car was prked next to the bike.
    4- Most bikes in the 450cc range 525/530cc range get tested between 3500 and 4500 RPM

The important thing is relative change between the exhausts.

Note: The FMFs and most other exhaust manufacturer are known to be optimistic w/ their exhaust ratings.
  13. AndrewS Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE350s 2013 TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 TE250 (sold)
    If anyone is interested in their own testing, this is a copy of the procedure from the M.I.C.

Weather permitting, I'll try this with my '09 TE250 this weekend.

One thing I could see people doing if they haven't seen the diagram, is pointing the mic toward the exhaust, rather than edge on as shown ( I'm not saying you did this, Dan):

[IMG]
  14. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R
    In at least one picture the seat and side panels are off, no doubt contributing to even more intake noise. That said, I think there is a good reason they are going to dual pipes. I dont care for the way my 610 sounds with the stock pipe, but am reluctant to risk making it any louder. 2 cans should make it possible to get quieter and better flow both .... at the cost of more weight.
  15. JasonfromMN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None right now :(
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Yamaha FZ6R
    Wow, they all seem loud......

On the intake noise, The scott summers report mentions that, and what they did about it. Their perspective was more about water though.
  16. JasonfromMN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None right now :(
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Yamaha FZ6R
    How does the Uptite can compare to these in DB?
  17. danbartol Husqvarna
    AA Class

Someone on TT finally found the correct testing RPM:

The SAE J1287 testing RPM it is: RPM = 250,000 / stroke (mm).
    This is your standard- 45' angle 20" test in a clear area outside.

08-09Husqvarna TE250/310 55mm 4545
    08/09 Husqvarna TE450 60.7 4118
    08/09 Husqvarna TE510 67.8 3687
    08/09 Husqvarna TE610 76.4 3272

The TE-510 should have been tested at 3650RPM

Needless to say I was almost double the RPM range. I think that goes to show that even when within the minimum standard 96dB rating the bikes are loud. I don't know of anyone that rides at 3600RPM. So anything not meeting the minimum standard is ridiculously loud.
  18. danbartol Husqvarna
    AA Class

So I just got done re-testing the Husky at the proper rpm (3650). I only tested the FMF Q4 with spark arrestor inserted and adjusted the other numbers mathematically using the difference I measured between dB at 6500 and dB at 3650 (6dB).

Not the most scientific way , but it gets me in the ball park and I did not feel like dismounting and remounting a bunch of exhausts.

Here are the results:

[IMG]

Got some graphics to spiffy up the ugly tank:

[IMG]

[IMG]
  19. Jrmobb Husqvarna
    AA Class

Awesome update, thanks for testing it for us. My decision to use the quite insert looks to be def worth it!

Mine is prob even a little quitter since I tac welded a screen onto mine