1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Exhaust Cam Spring

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Phoenix, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Phoenix Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TXC 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    2 Ducs, 14 GG 200, 13 Husa 300
    Mine is different than ioneater's, but we have the same bike. His has a little bend in it and mine is straight. I'm still trying to isolate my hard starting problems. Could this be a suspect? I thought I remembered somebody mentioning to look for this, but I can't remember who it was. Any ideas?

My bike:

exhaustcam.jpg

Ioneater's bike:

ExhaustCamHardware.JPG
    ray_ray likes this.
  2. bigbugberg Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE250
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 400xcw, KTM 690 Enduro R
    Mine has the bend in it.
  3. Phoenix Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TXC 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Bend = good.
  4. Tessier Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 990 Adventure
    Very interesting. Are you gonna order up a new one and see if it comes in bent or straight?
  5. Phoenix Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TXC 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    I ordered one a long time ago. Made all the difference in the world. Expensive fix for a factory fault, though, at nearly $300. I'm done buying used bikes.
  6. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    You purchased a new cam?

The day I bent my straight spring, my bike (010 TC250) started 1st kick twice and I thought it fixed my hard starting problem ... But nope, next day it was back to hard starting ...I still think there is some issue there ... The auto-decompressor looks like such a flimsy device ...

So you want a new bike to get a warranty?

7. Phoenix Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TXC 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yeah, I bought the new cam. I did the bent-my-own spring thing too, and it seemed to be working, but I had already ordered the cam so I put it in to be safe.

No, not really for the warranty (but a warranty would be nice). I just want to buy a new bike so I'm not inheriting somebody else's problems. I'm going to be meticulous with my maintenance logs and have an hour meter from the first start up.
  8. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Sounds good on the new paint ... I purchased another TC250 and it should have a set of new cams with it that I can try in the current bike .. My current TC250 is starting better, still a little random and weird, but many times a < 8 kick starter ...
  9. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I finally got the new cam and it is in the bike now ... Seems to make a different in the starting but I'll have to ride it a few days to verify what has really changed ..

The bike does kick over better now as it does not have any kickback so far AND it does not have so many dead-space\no compression strokes when looking for TDC ...

Replacing a cam is a no brainer and not enough meat on the bone to even make a video of this work ..

This video shows the difference in the behavior of the auto-decompressors ... First cam is the original one in my bike and the bend in the spring was my work as it was perfectly straight when I got it ... Second cam is the updated cam ... You can easily see the difference in the action between the new and old one ...

KaramanTE450 likes this.
  10. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    After a short ride around the AO ... The bike cranked 3 times in a row on one kick so I immediately decided to have small party with some of the guys here who are always ready to have a drink ... The worm has turned on this bike I think :) ... I'm thinking of pimping this bike to one of the local PRO caliber riders in the future ... And I'll be doing the old guys class :) 101_2140.JPG

McCoy ... He's a Star Trek fan :)
    101_2142.JPG
    OlderHuskyRider and Phoenix like this.
  11. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I see the circlip on the end of the cam.

Do you have to buy a new cam?

Can't you just pull the circlip and replace the spring with the new one?
  12. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    First, Not sure if you can buy the spring alone or not ... and second the spring is held on by as pin that is pressed on and and the part the pin is pressed into is also pressed on the end of the shaft ..

So, it does look possible to press this all apart and get at the spring ... Once you have it all apart, you might be able to do something with that spring to get the action working in the correct manner ...

---

It is very easy to pull that cam out ... If you bike has issues with starting, it might be worth it to pull it and see how the action is on your cam ... And bend on the spring to see if you can get the correct action ...
  13. Phoenix Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TXC 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    The spring is not sold separately. :banghead:
  14. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Just judging by all the pressed on parts on that cam, I'm not surprised at that ...

--
    When I'm playing with the old one now and it will act all 'snappy' as the new one I installed if you bend that spring around enough ...
    --

My bike kicked-back alot when kicking it over before I installed the different cam ... This might be a very good indicator of an auto-decompressor issue like I had ...
  15. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Verified it today and its just a normal bike now .. Starts 1-3 kicks by a slow push-down on the kicker and cracking the throttle slightly ... What a PITA due to such a small simple item ...

Got some new number plates also to show at the race this weekend ... We'll be running 2, maybe 3 bikes ...
    101_2162.JPG
  16. Tim Randall Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Wr125 / WB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    great work :)

any ideas on why some have the straight spring and some have the bend? earlier-later models??
    AridTE likes this.
  17. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    No idea really ... It just seems to boil down to the tension on the spring ... I can apply pressure to the spring on the cam with the lazy action and it will pop the lever around quickly also ...
  18. Phoenix Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TXC 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Early models had the straight spring. The one with the bent spring is the replacement cam.
  19. Tim Randall Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Wr125 / WB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    Cool, ill check mine when I do the clearances :) haven't had any starting problems though... But if I do and mines straight ill know where to start :)

Cheers guys, top stuff!
  20. KaramanTE450 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husqvarna TE450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Africa Twin

Finally ???
    left the problem;

we change starter 5 months ago and again the same problem .....
    Thanks
  21. ridemore Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 TC450. 10 TC250. 13 TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    02 Triumph Bonnivile
    ZipTy I think has a fix for this. Cheaper than a new cam I'm sure