1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Engine life of a TE 450

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Wollongongwolf, May 19, 2013.

1. Wollongongwolf Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE310
    Other Motorcycles:
    1976 Suzuki TS400, 1976 Honda CB55
    Hi all, new here and not a Husky owner but thinking about it. I am a rider of a very reliable Suzuki DRZ400 with 8,000 Klms on it, all done by me. I ride hard in the bush, lot of tight singles, steep technical stuff, fire trails and heap of rocky stuff. My mates are all into KTM's, not to keen on them. I have always been interested in a TE310, but worried about how much guts it has after having the 400.
    I am interested in a 2010 TE 450 with 1000 Klms on it. I have heard that these Huskys do not have a long engine life compared to the DRZ. So I would like an honest answer from the guys who should know these bikes.
    So with proper maintenance, how many Klms should I get out of the 450 and if it had to be rebuilt, how much to get it done in Australia.
    I did ride a TE310 the other week,liked it, but still worried I would outgrow it. So any info on that bike would be good and what should I check before buying a second hand Husky.
    Thanks
  2. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 450 - last of the ITA motors
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    2010 450, 22,500 Klms and still sounds and runs great. I keep up with the 500 EXC in the pic when I'm fresh...

[IMG]
    Centerline, ripnriding and Coffee like this.
  3. Wollongongwolf Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE310
    Other Motorcycles:
    1976 Suzuki TS400, 1976 Honda CB55
    So that 22000 and not opened the engine, same piston rings etc? What sort of maintenance ? Is this the correct forum to ask the question ? If not which one? Also be interested to hear from others what sort of kilometres they got fro their 450's, good and bad. This is a big decider for me, as I tend to keep a bike for years, ride hard and need it to last. I do all my own servicing, but could not rebuild a bike, so would have to pay a mechanic for a rebuild. So I want good and bad info, the only problem is you Husky guys may be a little too one eyed! *L*
  4. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    I've replaced the water pump seal, the intake boot, 1 rad hose, 1 head gasket, all due to running it out of rad fluid and riding it 60 miles home at 60 mph, at 6000 miles.
    Replaced gummed up fuel pump 2.5 years ago, still going strong on the CAcycleWorks pump.
    Same piston and rings. Adjust valves when they need it.
    Changed oil every 1000 miles, have used mostly $5 a quart Mobil1 20w50, 15w50 and 15w50 mixed with 10w40, always HiFlo paper oil filters, on my 2nd TwinAir air filter element.
    Replaced clutch plates with Honda CRF450 replacement plates for like $60.
    My full history here
    http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/dual-sporting-a-2010-te-450-with-cheap-tricks.15347/
  5. James Patton Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511 2012, WR125 2006
    Other Motorcycles:
    1250S Bandit, DRZ400S
    They are totally different bikes. I own an 09 DRZ, and a 2012 Te511. Maintenance is much more frequent if you
    Want the husky, or any other high performance dirtbike to last. The DRZ is much heavier, about 70lbs, the engine
    Makes a lot,less power, but it holds twice as much oil,, one is a real dirt bike that is street legal, and one is a playbike
    That is really more at home on the road....it's just a matter of preference, you will not get the miles out of the husky
    That you will with the DRZ, you will not get the performance out of,the DRZ that you will the husky,,,,
    Dirtdame and duggoey like this.
  6. ripnriding Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2017 TX 300 and 2010 CR 144
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 husqvarna TE 450(sold)
    Bought from previous owners (i'm 3rd) who had over 10000 km on it...have put less than 500 k on it since purchase. Had valves adjusted...put gas in and go :) oil change every 5 hrs. For the price I paid...happy if it lasts a year...given old husky rider's km...anticipate a few years to go out of it ;)
  7. duggoey Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 690, Yamaha WR200, FGS650(800cc)
    Ive owned most of the brands at some point so I shouldnt be too biased. Ive had my 2010 TE 310 since new and has near 7000km of hard trail riding with about 5% of the km's on road (between trails or riding to a mates house for the ride). They changed the motors on the 310 in 2011 to the "x-lite", from what Ive seen the "older" type of motor might be more robust although the new ones arent too bad. With a little tuning I have never felt it is under powered, it is no 450 but the light weight makes up for it. It would blow the DR out of the water though still.

Done oil changes every 1000km with fully synthetic and new filter each time (which is probably more than what you need), used premium fuel.
    The motor has never been apart, except the valve cover for valve clearance checks. The only time the checks have been done was at 1000km (by the dealer to keep warranty) and a few moths ago (by myself in the shed) because I wanted to make sure it was all good. It isnt hard, if you can change the oil, or swap sprockets I wouldnt see valve checks much harder than that.

Like James said, it might not be the same engine life as the DRZ but dont let that scare you. I have seen old XRs die much earlier than the new Huskys, it would be up to how much it has been abused and how well it has been maintained.
  8. 13101093 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE 450
    I have a 2008 TE 450 and there is about 10,000km on the bike and bought it 3rd hand. engine is unopened other than valve clearance checks. I have changed the oil every 5-7 hours with full synthetic oil and a filter every second change. bike still runs perfect and never uses oil or blows smoke.I asked my local dealer about a rebuild and he said that all going well it would be $1200 for new piston, rings, top and bottom end bearings cam chain etc which i would call a 'safety' rebuild to prevent major failure in the future, but they said it could easily get up to $1500 range if say the clutch pack needed replacing or something.
  9. 268fords Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08' TE510'
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CRF 100, Kawasaki KLX 110
    Just read older husky riders threads on his TE450. That should answer any if not all questions for you.
  10. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    Almost 25,000 kms now, still running strong, on my 3rd set of front wheel bearings

[IMG]
    Juvkam78 likes this.
  11. Quincy Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 te 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    dakar 650
  12. Quincy Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 te 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    dakar 650
    How is the Acerbis fuel container attached to the te 450?
  13. Tim Randall Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Wr125 / WB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    Going from a drz to the te310 was the best move I made!!

You
    Won't get bored of the power. 310 eats it.

Mines for sale at the moment and I'm in Sydney ;)
  14. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    if you like tight single trails the 310 is all over the DRZ. The TE450 is a great all rounder, pretty good in the tight and great on the trails. I feel it spools up quicker than the 510 and will change direction significantly easier than the 510. I have had 510's, 450' and now on 310's. I mis my 450 most but am now in my 60's with rooted knees. at 6 foot and 250 lbs the 310 is not under done for me-still doing 3 to 5 level rides on it.
  15. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    same engine, 2008 TXC450 got @275 hours of hardcore riding/racing before the rebuild, truth is it would have gone further, nothing was bad, but there was wear from hard use. These older twin cammers 450/510 series are tough engines.
    OlderHuskyRider likes this.