Engine cover fracture

Discussion in '610/630' started by Brzoza, Jun 22, 2016.

1. Brzoza Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2016 husqvarna FE501s
    Just came back from a 2 day trip and noticed a small oil puddle under my 630, took off the bash plate and found a dent and a small hairline fracture on the left side engine cover.
    Can anybody recommend a place where I can order a replacement part (8000 H1544)?
    Going to JB weld it for now.
    Thanks!
  2. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    CH Sponsors- link @ top. Many of us use Hall's and have been satisfied...at least I know I have. Sucks to have the crack but glad it wasn't worse.
  3. Brzoza Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2016 husqvarna FE501s
    Got it, thanks. If I had a better bashplate the RS one it would not happened. The engine sides are not protected well.
  4. Flynn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Heh, timely thread. It is two weeks to the day since I cracked the engine casing on my husky during wheelie practice. Went past the balance point and tipped to the right at the same time and landed awkwardly on the brake lever which punched a hole in the clutch side cover.

I too used JB Weld just to get back home and then immediately removed the engine cover because I knew I would get complacent with my temporary repair if I didn't. Good thing I did because there was quite a lot of debris collected at the bottom of the casing.

So far I have waited 1 week for a local engineering shop to weld a repair section into the cover and 1 more week for the crappy Husqvarna dealers to source the gasket for the oil pump (which I had to take out before the casing went for welding) because the old one was shot. They don't seem to keep anything in the warehouse anymore!
    In the meantime I ordered gasket material and tried cutting my own with a Stanley but the Stanley isn't sharp enough or thin enough to accurately cut the material. I need to try a "precision knife" but I have had enough of the hassle for now.

There was a second hand cover on eBay for £56 but I thought I would save money reusing the old one. Now I decided I wanted to do an impromptu repaint as well which needed wet and dry paper, primer and gold Rustoleum it has cost the same and taken longer than if I would have just gone for the second hand used cover!

Typical!
    Brzoza likes this.
  5. kirbybikes Husqvarna
    AA Class

Local. International Motorsports, shop in Vancouver too. Most of the stuff I have ordered from them takes a week and is the same cost at par compared to the US price, that works out to a 32% savings!
  6. Rotax_655 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    ex TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia Pegaso 650 GA
    you can insert a photo of the problem?
    Thanks
  7. Brzoza Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2016 husqvarna FE501s
    The crack from inside and the fix

Attached Files:

8. Rotax_655 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    ex TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia Pegaso 650 GA
  9. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas Gas TxT 300, Yamaha wr250f
    How complicated is the cover? Can you not find a foundry to cast one for you? I did this with a magneto cover, cost £20 an came out really good.
  10. Brzoza Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2016 husqvarna FE501s
    Sounds complicated to me, never did anything like this. The cover has the stator attached and the neutral sensor I think. Will live with the resin solution until a next rock finishes it off.
    juicypips likes this.
  11. KayDubbya Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW F650GS
    Just had the same thing happen on my TE630 as well. How is the JB Weld holding up after a couple of months? I agree that the engine sides are pretty vulnerable. I dropped mine in (what I thought) was fairly soft dirt and bashed the shifter into the side cover. Are there any decent aftermarket shifters available that can be positioned an inch back? I may pull the lever off and grind down the sharp corner of the peg so it isn't quite as deadly to the engine. I tend to fall down a lot and it's bound to happen again. Any good options for crash bars available?

IMG_20160915_192818.jpg
  12. KayDubbya Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW F650GS
    So how long does it take for a "moderator" to approve a post? 3 months on the forum and I still can't post without a two day delay. Is it really that much of a problem with spammers?
  13. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Well, if you found a new shifter that's shorter by an inch I think it's likely you'd hate it, as it would be difficult to easily get your foot under it comfortably/quickly. Grinding off the sharpness of it is bound to help, a little, at least. On crash bars I'd say do a search for posts by CJBrown- I know he has some on his 630 but forget where he got 'em (and I'd suspect they're no longer available, but the place may have some still.)
  14. KayDubbya Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW F650GS
    Is there any concern about using JB Weld on the inside of the stator cover? Is there any chance the hot/cold cycling or the oil moving around would cause the patch to flake of and go sailing around the inside of the engine. If it's stable enough I'd like to apply some to both the inside and outside of the case to repair the crack.
  15. ruwfo Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 390CR, 1982 430CR, 1984 400WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 250XC, 2016 FJ-09
    JB weld is great stuff, just rough the surface up a little, before you apply it. Also clean it, real good, I've used rubbing alcohol

So how long does it take for a "moderator" to approve a post? 3 months on the forum and I still can't post without a two day delay. Is it really that much of a problem with spammers?

And, Yes for a while, back before you joined, we would have 500+ spam messages a week.

Sometime were like a one legged runner, it takes a while, but we get there, we are all volunteers
    Brzoza and KayDubbya like this.
  16. KayDubbya Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW F650GS
    Thanks. Appreciate the response and especially the time you put in keeping it working.
  17. Brzoza Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2016 husqvarna FE501s
    Sold my bike recently but JB weld was holding up so far. New stator covers are available and cost here in Canada around 130$.
    I bend my shifter once after a drop, I couldn't get it out of 3rd. Took me some time to bend it back.
  18. KayDubbya Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW F650GS
    Here's my recent fix. Turns out the Stator cover is magnesium, not aluminum so it's pretty tricky to weld up.

IMG_20160930_090916.jpg

This is the repair from the outside.

IMG_20160930_090947.jpg

Had some armor made up at the same time. Hopefully it will give it a bit more strength for next time. There's always a next time with me.

IMG_20160930_091003.jpg

Some JB Weld to hold it in place and a bit of paint to clean it up (sort of).

IMG_20161008_164237.jpg

Total cost so far is about $50. Includes $10 worth of JB Weld that will be around for a few more fixes.
    DYNOBOB, Spice Weasel and Brzoza like this.