1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Engine build ??'s 390 250

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by giftshopduane, Mar 27, 2009.

1. giftshopduane Husqvarna
    B Class

Here goes, bear with me I'm learning a lot about my bike. I picked up a 79 390cr, with supposedly a smoked gearbox.. inlcuded was 2 250 or parts bikes, with at least one tight bottom end. SO here's what I'm asking. The 390 has a nice newer pist/cyl, 2nd over. and one of the 250's has tight bottom end and reasonable top.. since I am going to disassemble the 390 (PO broke the flywheel shaft "left hand thread") should I reseal and replace any offending parts out of one of the 250's or throw the 390 top on the 250 bottom and just have fun, or rebuild the 250 or, or..... throw the 250 top on a rebuilt cr gearbox and make a 250cr? besides the obvious engine size differences, how did the 250 compare to 390's as far as rideability?

Also the 390 flywheel is substantially larger then the 250's and the counter weights on the 390's crank are semi elliptical and the 250's are full "disks", why.

and... I have a set of original Ohlins remotes, and a set of Koni remotes (off an RM?) should I rebuild either of these or find a good set of used shocks? What kind should I look for? With the Koni's I have to stand on my toes and barely touch the ground, I am 6ft with a 30" inseam, I find this kind of uncomfortable. I just plan on trail riding and flip flopping with my other bikes.. I got all this for a case of Heineken, not bad..... I am really won over by this bike..

thanks
    C
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
  2. giftshopduane Husqvarna
    B Class

Thanks... truth be told I grabbed whatever case i could find, I couldn't get there fast enough to make the trade. He really just wanted it to go to a good home. I am always excited about a new bike.. when I first saw a picture of it the non traditional styling didn't grab my eye, now that I have it and have been learning more and living with it in my shop I think its one of the coolest bikes I've seen, I am just itching to ride it.... I am even considering selling the XL500 to fund a resto.....

thanks, I have been leaning towards the 390, I know its tight, just going to reseal and inspect the gearbox, replace what needs it...

i've always been a fan of Huskies, just never owned one, now I have one I'm finding its the first to really fascinate me.