1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

EFI FUEL TANK DRAIN??

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Mehusieni, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    Make sure the fuel pump hasn't come loose. I've read some threads about that issue.
    Mehusieni likes this.
  2. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    The big-blocks are solid motors. I don't think pulling a motor and taking it apart is a good diagnostic procedure for someone at your level yet.

Try a compression test and maybe even a leak-down test to make sure you even need to be there.

and there's a few tricks to getting a torque wrench into tight places. we'll burn that bridge (hah) in another thread.

pulling the pump plate (tank off) and taking a look at things would be simple. Without any other evidence I'd say the previous owner is full of shit (wait... do the smr's have a fuel return??). well, maybe not. take a look.
    Mehusieni and Big Timmy like this.
  3. Big Timmy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE 501 with lots of goodies.
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW G450X, 15'FE501, 23 KTM 1290 SAR
    ????
    The 2 passages the fuel goes to ? If the bike bogs. It would be tough to wheelie anywhere let alone to a gas station. So that's the part where you sort of lost me ?

I'm trying to help you out here so here goes.

If the fuel level is getting low and the light comes on sooner than its supposed to, it could be that you may have to stop and lean the bike way over to get as much of the remaining fuel into the lowest side of the tank. That would be on the side that the pump is mounted just to run all of the fuel out or to run it dry. Some of that fuel could be on the other side of the tanks tunnel or on the other side of the bike frames top rail in the tank. Depending on the shape of the tank itself.

The fuel feeds itself to the pump and directly on to the fuel injector, when needed. A built in pressure relief shuts the pump off when the bike isn't running as the fuel will deadhead against the closed fuel injector itself. The fuel injector is only opened or closed electrically. The fuel pump maintains the proper needed pressure by cycling on and off as needed whether its idling or running full throttle.

To sort a fuel starvation issue, if it has one. You may need to verify that the fuel pump has the proper running fuel pressure and that it remains constant. You will have to look that up to verify how much that pressure should be for your model bike. I'm sure someone on here would know exactly what that is. You can install a split section of hose with a tee fitting from the pump to the injectors barbed fitting to mount an inline fuel pressure gauge. Then run the engine and monitor the fuel pressure so that you know the pump is supplying the adequate pressure.
    Mehusieni likes this.
  4. Mehusieni Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husqvarna SMR 510 (2008)
    The previous owner was kinda vague about the bike in general. The fuel may have been on the other side of the tank and maybe he thought it was a problem. I don't have enough hours on the bike to notice anything wrong, so I'm probably just going to ride and fix it later (if there even is a problem).

About Trenchcoat85's comment: yes, I don't have a lot of experience about engine building (other than a YX160 engine and a Husqvarna 2-stroke), but from what I've read online about these "race engines" (as we call them In Finland), is that they require a lot of maintenance and rebuilds also. For the type of riding (more like abuse:thinking:) I use this bike for, I think pulling the top-end is the right call here. I just want a bike which I can ride the entire summer and not have to worry about the engine blowing up on me, unlike my ex SM 125, (rod bearing blew because of lack of maintenance by the previous owner).

Big thanks to everyone who commented on this thread. This community is great:cheers:

Attached Files:

5. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    definitely do the fuel pump check- it's easy and sounds like it may be necessary.

these motors are not that high-strung and are pretty reliable... unless the previous owner seriously modified it.

6 months off? does it snow in Finland or what? :eek:
    Mehusieni likes this.
  6. Mehusieni Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husqvarna SMR 510 (2008)
    Does it snow? Yes it snows so much that you can get stuck with a car in a parking spot. Then all the snow melts during the day and at night it freezes so when I leave for school in the morning, I can't even ride a bicycle because the ground is covered in this wavy ice layer. The snow usually melts in March but it's still going to be too cold to ride:mad:
    Big Timmy likes this.
  7. Huskyyyyy Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE310 2009
    Other Motorcycles:
    TT350 1994
    I have a similar issue with my 2009 TE310. When it gets lowish on fuel (around when the fuel light comes on) the bike acts as if it is running out of fuel. It will bog and stall. As soon as I fill it up with fuel, the bike runs perfectly. Should I pull the fuel pump and see if it has dislodged? What would I be looking for and how would I know how to reinstall the pump if I was to take it out?
    Thanks