Ecu Replacement

Discussion in 'TR650' started by avatar, Sep 17, 2022.

1. avatar Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husqvarna Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    K1300s
    Hallo everyone,
    Please allow me to share my story and hopefully someone can help.
    I have bought my Husqvarna Terra 650 second hand after the ECU recall.
    Sometime after that I had an issue:
    After I ignited the bike it stalled, I mean it could not keep the rpm and switched off. Sometimes when I turned the key off and then back on the problem was fixed. Other times it pertained and the only way to ride the bike was holding the throttle open.
    I noticed that when I did hear a noise while I was switching the key off, then the problem was resolved, meaning next time it could hold the rpm and did not switch off, when that sound was not heard the problem did not seem to correct itself.

When I went the motorccle to the dealer and after to the KTM HQ in Greece, they said that it had noting to do with the ECU recall and it was a matter of low quality fuel (lamda sensor error), they cleaned the fuel injection and everything was ok.
    Or so I thought. A month ago I took my motercycle for vacation after a long time, due to the COVID restrictions.
    The problem reappeared as it was described above. Unfortunately, I did trust a non authorized mechanic who was told to just remove the battery and wait some hours, hoping that it would somehow reset and the problem could be fixed for a while until I returned.
    The mechanic removed the battery and did something else I could not know and when I returned the signal EWS was on and the bike was dead. After I sent it back to the dealer and six week later he told me that he could not read the ECU whatsoever and I needed to replace the ECU, while the other problem was not dealt with since there could not run any diagnostic whatsoever.

Q1: Do you believe the asessment is correct and when one cannot read the ECU it needs to be replaced, or it could possibly be fixed, depending on the limited data we have?
    Q2: Could I fit a used ECU which as I see (in the internet because I do not have access to the ECU now) has the part number 8533726-01 MBC1 A10 052 EN 46100 and probably is the same with BMW C600 and C650? These used ECUs need to be unlocked and that is a difficult process?
    Q3:DO you have any idea of what my original problem would be?
    Q4: I have seen people sell new ECUs at a discount, do you believe they are not original? Is there any risk for the motorcycle whatsoever?
    PS. I do not have any technical or mechanical knowledge to fix the ECU myself and I am quite frustrated with the entire situation.
    Thank you so much in advance
  2. Johnn Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    T4 Moto Guzzi
  3. durtkillon Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Husqvarna TXC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Sherco X-Ride
    There are some guys in the Philippines repairing these ECU's and instrument clusters. If grounding the case does not solve your problems, you might give them a try. https://www.facebook.com/Husqvarnahackers.
    Hanukkah likes this.