ECU Dying ? engine flooded

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by Juvkam78, Jun 10, 2017.

1. Juvkam78 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hi has anyone experienced a ecu sudenly go bad and causing the bike to run rich as f...?
    My 2010 TE450 recently refused to start and fouled a plug. Put in a spareplug and was eventualy able to start the bike with a battery booster, the display now showed "fail" and i had to open the trottle to keep it running, and it was running extremely rich with black smoke and sore eyes. Been thru the most of it, intakeboot, tempsensor, etc. The bike had the Special parts ECU so as a last try i put the stock ecu in, idles like a charm and runs pretty fair. Need to reset the TPS but cable is on its way from Scott as we speak. Will hook up the other ecu to read fault codes to, but there will be a few as i have been unplugging different sensors in the troubleshooting.

Juvkam
  2. Oldscool Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    RM125, SWM RS500R & Superdual
    Try plugging the "faulty" ecu back in and see how it runs now. Poss poor connection??
  3. Juvkam78 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Will do, but funny how it would run rich instead of lean with a bad conection ? But you never know with electronics
  4. Tetley Husqvarna
    AA Class

Having had a TE450, the most likely cause by far is wiring faults. That's why I got rid of it. I was sick and tired of it breaking down, and having to split open the loom to trace chafes, shorts and broken wires. My bike had a new loom under warranty, as there was a recall on the 2010MY, but the replacement wasn't much better.
  5. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    So how did it go? Was it a faulty connection or a fried ECU?
  6. Juvkam78 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Got the cable today, but so far no luck, I have not put back the special parts ecu yet, will give it a go tomorrow.
    Where is the best place to start looking for broken wires ?
  7. Tetley Husqvarna
    AA Class

Your best bet is to hook up i-beat on the other ECU and read the codes. Then you have targets of wiring to aim at. (assuming it is wiring)
    My 450 had wiring faults from end to end of the loom, but the main chunk that deals with most of the FI is around the tank and airbox.
  8. Juvkam78 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Update :Bike is now running good with special parts ecu, no damage to wiring. This ecu had a lot of faultcodes from my troubleshooting unplugging various sensors, the one i cant explain is the code : lambda to high, could it be the restistor or wires to it be failing? Also adjusted co 1 from 105 to 98, probably sett so high because of bike being used at winter in down to -10-15 degrees celsius, also found a loose pink wire in a connector behind the headlight, probably for the e start. So i guess a bad conection was the problem.
    Again thanks to Scott at semco designs for suplying the cable, Diagnostics are fun :)

Juvkam
  9. Tetley Husqvarna
    AA Class

I'm not sure what the special parts ECU does? Is it to go with a race exhaust?
    The standard ECU has 2 modes - As delivered and corked up with Lambda closed loop control of fuelling, and 'powered up' race mapping which has no Lambda control of fuelling.
    Is yours 'powered up'? Mine had a special plug to plug in the lambda wiring to tell the ECU to go to race mapping, and the sensor was removed and bunged. Also removed was the catalytic converter, and throttle restrictor .
  10. Juvkam78 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Yes, the ecu was purchased with a race mufler, so i guess it is programed for this, it also has a higher rev.limiter. yes all powered up with cat out and resistor in the lambdaplug
  11. Tetley Husqvarna
    AA Class

If it's powered up, there is no lambda control, so it shouldn't be reporting any bad lambda readings, as it's blind to the exhaust gasses. So, if it's reporting lambda problems, there must be a fault with the resistor plug and or wiring back to the ECU. The special parts ECU probably has the corked up mapping in it, and the fault is tring to revert the ECU to corked mode.
    My tilt switch was removed and a resistor plug fitted, and this was constantly causing a FAIL in the dashboard, although it didn't affect running. Eventually I stripped the switch to find really bad crimp connections on the resistor.