1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

East Coast Mechanic

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by squid on a 300, Mar 10, 2017.

1. squid on a 300 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 WR 250 79 CR 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    GAS GAS 300 Trials 2 KTMs 2 Hodakas
    Any suggestions on an East Coast Mechanic to do a rebuild (top and bottom end, transmission once over ect) for my 72 WR 250? I talked to a few West coast guys but didnt see any east coast builders..(I'm in PA). I would give it a shot myself but I really would not know what to look for especially tranny wise...I'm afraid I would not be able to spot a potential problem and end up putting junk back together instead of properly repairing/replacing it...

thanks
    Bob
  2. disonny Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    73 360 wr/rt, 75 wr250 78 cr250,
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 wr250, 84 wr400
    Paradise cycle is big on vintage husky's. I think he's near Pittsburgh. Talk to Marty, I think he's the owner. real nice guy.
    Richard Colahan likes this.
  3. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    good move, I don't do trannys or cranks:eek: NO ....that's not what I mean... wait ...forget it. get someone else to fix it is a good idea. I would end up with a 3 speed and a rectangular conrod arc if I split cases
  4. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    i dont know what your technical ability is...but you may be able to handle it yourself as well. buying a universal splitter and crank installer are the two main things.
    it may be out of your ability, and if it really is then you are smart to pass the work along. if it isnt out of your ability, then you would be smart to do it yourself, learn a bit and save a bunch of money.
  5. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Yup I'd trust myself to do the job more than I trust anyone else. Not everyone is good out there. I learned in the past to just do it myself.
    oldbikedude likes this.
  6. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    thats true but there are also some people who even with best intentions, are better off paying someone else. the attention to detail, workshop area, tool budget, etc, just arent there.
    there is a certain satisfaction to doing it yourself. the budget it frees up to buy other things is a huge bonus too. we have read of some high labor costs...
  7. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Once you split one case the rest come easy. The Husqvarna case is the easiest. The Japanese cases fall apart there's no machine fit like the swedes.
  8. Richard Colahan Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    71 250 Cross, 74 125WR, 75 250WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Vintage British bikes, 1969 Penton
    Marty Strouse
    Paradise Cycle
    Reynoldsville PA

Marty and Cindy are BIG sponsors and supporters of the AHRMA Mid-Atlantic Region XC series.
  9. Drew Smith Husqvarna
    AA Class

Marty Strouse does all my Husky motors.
  10. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    The husky cases just fall apart too except that the crankshaft and perhaps the locating pins provides resistance. At least for me the ones I took apart.

Nothing wrong with sending it out. Join a club go to work parties stuff like that to have somewhere to ride. Train the dog whatever.
  11. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Marty for sure.
  12. GaryM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 430cr second 430 CR 500cr
    Other Motorcycles:
    1981 490 Maico
    I never had a Husky case fall apart. All are real tight. Except for one. Yes someone must have
    pressed his bearings out of case. It tore the bearing mount dia holes to hell. And he put it back together.

Bearing pulled out of cases, not crank. Tossed those cases. Heat your cases and freeze your bearings
    if rebuilding.
  13. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

and heat hot......do not be afraid to go to 300 degrees f
    and no never had a set "fall apart" too many shafts, locating pins and looooong tapers to crank kind of say "no" to that happening.
  14. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Yup we froze the bearings over night in the freezer. The case got preheated. Assemble quickly.

If pressing the bearings in use a socket that fits the outer race. Not the inner race. Put a tad of oil on the bore in the case and on the outer race of the bearing. Then assemble.

Don't forget to pre lube all the seals.
  15. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    I stripped my first 83 250wr case and took the lower case to the dealer to have new seals put in. It was $150 labor. After that I learned it myself. I made my own tools to split cases. On my sons '85 250cr Honda it needed fork seals. I could see a hex shape in the lower leg. I dropped metric nuts till I found one that fits. Welded it to a pipe and with nuts on both ends with a ratchet unscrewed the fork lower leg. We just have to make our own tools and do it.

I had the first monster garage before the word monster garage was coined. Lol
  16. GaryM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    1981 490 Maico
    So Bill when are you going to get to work and build us a Monster Husqvarna restored bike. We are all waiting. As you know their are competitions in those shows are you ready to compete ? It been two years I don't see a picture of any your bikes yet.

And they can be tough. And I want you to do like a Jessie James style.
    All by you, strip and rebuild everything, no powdercoat, you sand all , paint frame, paint tank etc. spoke the wheels. Put the seat cover on. Just like the bike you see in my pic.

Challenge: build a complete bike by June 1st
  17. GaryM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    1981 490 Maico
    And top this. I am the only on here to have real Jessie James grab my arm with those big iron working hands and turn me around so he explain something to me. I was a bit surprised. Really

I was trying to do a little joke with him !
  18. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Jesse once told me I was doing it wrong so I told him go away and took Sandra Bullock out for dinner......just saying
    Richard Colahan and fran...k. like this.
  19. wrx Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1973 to 1986 husky's various models
    Other Motorcycles:
    RM -250 / Buell / Penton 400 mc5
    oooooooh sounds like a callout from Big GaryM !! BIG BILL are you listening ????
  20. stormer254 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    More than I dare let her know
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes!